“Keep Returning”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: phone 830-816-8989
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Have been going to this restaurant for years and it is a great place to meet up with friends and visit. At lunch there is a good lunch crowd and generally not too noisy and plenty of seating so you don't feel you are taking up a table. You order at the counter and they have several specials for the day. Food is 90% very good 90% of the time. This visit just got a side salad which was a nice size for a lite lunch. They have large to go cups if you ask for them. Restaurant is very casual but clean and has a few large booths but mostly tables. Menu has lots of selections so takes awhile to decide. I always have to tie my hands not to order the delicious desserts they have displayed in a case as you order. Food prepared while you wait and is served at a good temperature and pricing is about what you would expect for the food fare.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I decided to go here for the advertised Chicken Fried Steak. When I think of a big breaded CFS I think of a single slab of crusted steak. I was a little disappointed in the 3 burger size steaks. The crust was not thick like I like it, but it had a good taste. They skimped on the gravy, but instead of asking for more, I just settled. I also had the mashed potatoes, fried green beans, and tat or tots. I added a piece of buttermilk pie.

Out of 10:

Corn bread - 10
Buttermilk pie - 10
Service - 10
Atmosphere - 8

I drove here from San Antonio, expecting spectacular. It was above average.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Hungry Horse is a casual family restaurant with counter service. There are a ton of choices on the menu - I think they cover the whole spectrum of choices. The portions are large & the prices are reasonable. The Horse isn't going to win any food awards but it's a descent place for a meal.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Ordered the ultimate chopped steak with 3 veggies and a roll. The ultimate title adds slices if bacon and mushrooms to the requisite onions and gravy. It was good. It was the regular size which was 8 oz. my veggies were ok other than my green beans needed some seasoning. The wheat roll was very good.
This rest. Offers counter service and is very informal on the interior. Not a place to take someone to impress. A decent meat at a reasonable price.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had the pleasure of dinning at this local cafe last weekend. I actually ate there Friday and Saturday nights. The Horse has a large menu of mostly American offerings including mostly fried items, steaks, and plenty of vegetable side items. The chopped sirloin is good. The apple/cranberry pie was very tastey. You order your food at the counter, then seat yourself. Our orders (on both nights) came out in good time. The counter staff was friendly. There seemed to be a good line of new customers to keep this place moving. This just off of main street cafe isn't for everybody but if you like a good old fashioned country meal at a fair price, this is the place.

Been to Hungry Horse? Share your experiences!