Hotel Settles
$140
  • Breakfast included
$159
TownePlace Suites
Spring City Inn(Big Spring)
$145
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Room Service
All reviewshistoric hotelpharmacy barwest texasthe grillan oasisstep back in timewet barpool areamodern conveniencesfive star hotelrooms are spacioussunrise suitetallest buildingparlor roomgorgeous hotelball roombeautiful gem
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I have been in this small town for about 10 times not by choice but for work and my company has a contract only with the ugly and dirty holiday inn which is in the side of the freeway and it's so noisy, so anyways I decided to make a move and stay at the settles hotel to try it out, here are my specs.

THE GOOD THINGS

-Excellent customer service from Everyone in the hotel I mean everyone receives you with a smile like they enjoy their work and that really puts you in a food mood.
-Hotel is surrounded by security cameras which to me was so great and have me a sense of security I loved it, besides that you need to have a hotel key to access the rooms and facilities.
- The rooms are decorated perfectly and elegantly , they are spacious, super clean and mine had a mini kitchen which allowed me to bring fruit and enjoy at my own time.

- I was so glad that in the restroom they use Aveda products that by the way smell so good
-As a welcome they provide you with two bottles of water and they're replenished everyday at no cost.
-Wonderful and clean pool to enjoy in the evenings very clean
- great bar to hand around in the evenings
- GREAT GYM FACILITIES A REAL GYM WITH FREE WEIGHTS AND TRADE MILLS FANTASTIC
-The hotel has a restaurant onsite very delicious but somehow pricy so watch out for what u order
-Free hbo in the rooms

THR BAD THINGS:
As an experienced traveler I found NOTHING BAD ANOUT THOS HOTEL

MY experience was such a great one that I will recommend people from my company to stay here going forward, this place gets an A+++++

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bryanmantezoni
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The staff is horrible. This hotel is fantastic, but the lack of training and professionalism from the staff ruins the greatness of this historic hotel. We will stay there again with lower expectations

Room Tip: Rooms are huge and nicely appointed. Don't depend on the staff for any help. Make sure you watch how they charge you for the room. They charged 2 different credit cards for the room and after a week I have yet to receive credit. I've contacted my bank to remove the charge. Staff and Management are not trained properly. Not what we expected what so ever. It really a shame, The Hotel is outstanding. Customer Service not so much.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank John_Shumaker
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Passing through Big Spring on our way to and from San Antonio, we discovered the newly and authentically renovated Hotel Settles. On our way south we stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for a few MORE dollars than the Settles. Oil boom has caused simple lodging to soar! We ate in the Settles restaurant which was fine, and vowed to try the hotel next time through. We did and were so impressed with the quality and the authenticity of the renovation--example: five double hung windows in our fourth floor spacious room. You can't find anything better.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra O
Reviewed April 8, 2014

After a long days drive, the Hotel Settles appeared like an oasis in the desert when we drove into town. An oasis it was. The restoration of this classic hotel is remarkable. Don't miss going to the second floor to view the ball room and don't miss the outdoor retreat with swimming pool which is modern, inviting and secluded. I imagine that the pool reception room will be the focal point for many local wedings this coming June. As a history buff, I was delighted to get a room on the third floor where they have attempted to restore the rooms to their original style complete with unique pedestal sinks, a parlor off the main bedroom and furniture that is consistent with the 1930s.
Several Famous people have stayed here. For all I know, we stayed in the same parlor suite as Elvis Presley. I had intended this to be a special stay for my wife and I after crossing the SW desert. My wife loved the luxury of the hotel and the bed was one of the most comfortable that we have experienced. After engaging in a short conversation with one employee, she went all the way down to the lower offices just to copy some information about the hotel for me. The entire staff was accomodating like that. It appears that the owner is a special person too. He has purchased several other properties in the old down town area with the intent to restore them as well. Eventually, down town Big Spring will become THE tourist destination in SE Texas.

Room Tip: I think rooms on the third floor are best
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 98,502
Bill C, Manager at Hotel Settles, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear 98502

Thank you for the nice review. The rooms on the historic third floor are quite charming and reminiscent of the 1930's era. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. The room Elvis reportedly stayed in is 311. The Hotel has a long list of celebrities and dignitaries both past and present who have stayed with us. So it is quite possible you may have occupied one of the same rooms.

The owner of our hotel is indeed a very special person and has contributed much to the downtown revitalization of Big Spring. We are all very excited to see the recent boom and growth occurring here in Big Spring and West Texas. Please come see us again. The best is yet to come!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

When I heard that someone was intending to rehab this old hotel, I just didn’t believe them. The hotel has been victimized by false starts and wishful thinking since it closed for good around 1978. There had been much fanfare, and media releases, but not one workman had ever showed up with a tool belt on. So, after hearing work was underway, I drove to Big Spring in August 2009 just to have a look for myself. Given the size of this community, it felt like it would be impossible that anyone would be willing to invest in salvaging the building for any purpose whatsoever.

So, after the shock of disbelief wore off, I knew I’d have to take a ride out to Big Spring just to spend the night with the Settles. I lived in the city from 82-88, and drove by it every day watching it rot into the ground. It was just too big, and my own beliefs that nobody can afford a 15-story building as a pet meant there was virtually no chance anyone would be willing to invest in finding a new use for it.

So, when I had to attend a business meeting in Odessa in early April 2014, of course I had to stop there for the night. I’d had some trouble with their own web site in that it does not offer the guest any means to view or modify their own reservation. Also, they offer queen rooms with only one queen bed in them. The industry itself nearly always uses queen sized beds for rooms sized for four guests, leaving me thinking that a queen room would be outfitted with two beds. Not true; this hotel has queen rooms with either one or two beds. And the additional cost for that extra queen bed is just a bit steep in my eyes.

Every guest room offered by the Settles is disproportionately expensive compared to an identically outfitted room elsewhere in the city. They have definitely built themselves a five-star hotel. The only problem with it is there’s no five-star city anywhere near it, and it may as well be out in the middle of a pasture. The collateral business a guest would expect to find near such an inn just isn’t there. What is there are left behind and abandoned store fronts which were last in use when the city supported an air base prior to 1977. Today, if you want as much as a convenience store, the closest one is five blocks to the west on Gregg St, or US 87. After sundown, one cannot buy anything outside the hotel without having to move your car.

The guest is not unsafe there, but to a total stranger the neighborhood would certainly raise doubts about one's own safety while walking after dark. After all, the city itself is known informally as the murder capital of West Texas. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, which exceeds three decades.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a helpful and cheerful desk staff. There was no bellman on duty I could find, nor any luggage carts available to help get your bags to your room. They put us on the 11th floor facing West and South. Upon entering the room you are first greeted with a wet bar including a refrigerator, sink, and a microwave oven and a little farther down is a writing desk with a light. The sleeping room space was *>very<* generous, as was the closet and bathing areas. The bathroom has a tub and stand up shower that are separate from each other with a generous sink and vanity area. Just outside the privacy door is yet another dressing table with lights and a mirror, and a very generous closet if it were compared to virtually any nationally branded lodging today. There's enough room for storage in this sleeping room to call this an efficiency apartment.

Every stick of furniture and fixtures is brand new, and looks it. The carpets, drapes, big-screen TV, beds, towels, and fixtures have been installed new, and nothing is even slightly worn or lacking. Our room did have one bathroom vanity light not working, nor did the light over the writing table. It wasn’t bothering me, and I never reported the trouble.

HOWEVER, the **>>most unacceptable shortcoming<<** in this room was no in-room coffee brewer. The desk offered me coffee in the lobby, but getting dressed just to go retrieve that first cup of joe leaves me feeling as if I may as well go on to breakfast. And, for as much attention to detail and customer comfort as this owner has spent on this place, it does seem impossible this could have been overlooked or intentionally omitted. Since even the sleaziest brands in America put a one-cup brewer in the room, to check into this place where nothing is spared yet finding no in-room coffee was a real shocker.

Spending the night with the Settles was an exercise in nostalgia only, and if I had not spent six years living in the city, I know I wouldn’t be willing to spend $195 + tax for a double room in a dirty and dying village of less than 25,000 people. Virtually everything we got was of superior quality, and far more than minimally acceptable standards for lodging in a city like this. I wanted to stay with them before the losses begin to accumulate to a point that the owner isn't feeling so philanthropic and loyal to the home front. I don’t expect the building will be closed and abandoned in the future, but neither do I expect it can continue operating at this service level with no more customer base than Big Spring could possibly bring to it.

I definitely could recommend this to another who is looking for ultra-luxury accommodations in a boom and bust city that is forever cycling, and presently decaying. If, in the future, I had any reason to stay there, I might use them again, but only if their pricing is adjusted to align better with competing brands offering similar quality lodging. The restoration is stunning, and it’s beautiful, and it’s so totally lost in it’s surroundings it looks like it doesn't belong where it sits. There’s no other business within miles of there offering similar levels of excellence, and it’s not likely that any are going to show up in the future.

I’m incredibly pleased that the building has been given a new life, but in no way do I believe the venture will ever reach profitability, and as a hotel it’s days are likely numbered. Exactly what the future holds for the old Settles Hotel will be interesting to observe from a couple hundred miles east.

Room Tip: Poor value because their prices are disproportionately too expensive for what they have to sell. Poor location because it's in the middle of a deceased downtown.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family