“Diamond in the Rough”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This restaurant has an early 1900's feel to it with old photographs on the wall and what looks like the original flooring from when the hotel was open many, years ago. Since it's complete re-opening and restoration it's been a busy place in Big Spring, TX. The restaurants' staff is friendly and the food is delicious. We tried the chicken tortilla soup, the chop salad, some fried spicy pickles and shared the pork chop. We also ordered a bottle of cabernet from the wine list. The food came out in a timely fashion and was hot and ready to eat. We will definitely eat at the Settles Grill again, when passing through Big Spring.

1 Thank Briggsannah

Odessa, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Settles hotel, and the Grill restaurant has been beautifully restored. Juan Rodriguez, GM, went over and beyond our expectations with the great tour, and the staff was attentive to every detail. At the Grill restaurant, I had the ample portion of turkey BLT and fruit cup with the most delicious sweet tea! The chef even gave me the details to make the sweet tea. It was such a treat for our group of old friends "The Big Spring Bunch".
I highly recommend both the hotel and restaurant, and plan to stay in the "Elvis Presley suite" when my wife and I celebrate our next wedding anniversary.

1 Thank Danny Z
Midland, Texas
“The home of the $15 hamburger”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I go to Big Spring often. I was excited when the Settles Hotel was restored and re-opened. It is a beautiful and historic place. I stopped by the Settles Grill for lunch. At 1:10 P.M. no one was at the front. I finally found a waitress who seated me. A nice young man, but obviously new at the job served me water and took my order. The menu is a sandwich, salad, chicken fried steak sort. A cafe in other words. The decor is new and nice, but still the cafe variety. The rock music blaring over the speakers was an unwelcome distraction. The least expensive entree was the hamburger at $12. It took about 17 minutes to be served. I will say it was very good with a thick patty and a good melted cheese slice. The horseradish pickles were unique and the tomato fresh. The fries were nicely seasoned. It was enough, portion wise, for a lunch. I drank water and no other food. The bill was $13.99 plus a $2 tip. My son had eaten dinner at the Settles Grill last week and thought $12 for a well drink was a bit much. In a big city or resort hotel, this would not surprise me, but Big Spring is no big city, and no resort. The survival of the food and beverage establishments in the hotel will depend on the locals, and I am concerned that when the novelty wears off, and price becomes a consideration, hotel patronage will be insufficient.

1 Thank mblair441
big spring
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This beautifully-restored 1930s hotel is gorgeous. The double staircase and mirrored, chandelier-bedecked ballroom are stunning. Food in the Settles was very good - Texas fries as appetizer, chicken fried steak and (yum) buttermilk tart. I want to book an overnight stay when the Alhambra-esque pool and hot tub are open, and have an after-dinner drink in the Pharmacy bar, where I can lounge in front of the fireplace in a Hollywood glamour type atmosphere.

“Most excellent lunch”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We visited Big Spring State Park and after a hike, went looking for something different for lunch. The Settles Grill and Restaurant had just recently opened so we decided to give it a try. The Hotel has been beautifully redone and the restaurant was really nice inside. Our server was excellent and the meals were also excellent. Wife had the chicken fried steak and I tried the Settles Burger (made with ground brisket). Both were excellent and the price was quite reasonable. Neighboring table got a full desert and all we heard were oohs and ahhhs coming from that table. They were obviously pleased. When I asked them about the deserts, it was a concensus that the cobbler was to die for (I did not try it myself so that is second hand information).

We returned to Big Spring a few weeks later on a Sunday evening and found the Grill closed. Apparently they close the grill on Sunday evenings! It's less than an hour from Midland so we'll be back to try the dinner menu soon.

• Visited February 2013