“The other reviewers of this hotel obviously did not stay in Room 115.”

Scottish Inns Big Spring
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Big Spring
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our room was the last available when I called. We arrived late and tired. By the time we got everything in the room and really looked around it was midnight. We didn't have the energy to repack the car and find another hotel for only six hours of sleep.

The room was very hot and the A/C unit very old and not up to the task. One of the two beds was marginally
acceptable but didn't get to comfortable. The sheets were clean and unstained, unlike the towel (NOTE THE
SINGULAR) which had several stains. I got to dry off
with the second bath mat that I suppose was the
substitute for the other towel. The bathroom was
clean until you looked at the window. The accumulation
of dust and grit on the blind and sill were so thick you
could write your name, wipe it out and still be able to
write it again. The carpet and walls were truly filthy. As for the internet, I couldn't detect it and had to use my iPhone as a hot spot.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Zygatto

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Yes, the bed was clean - I stripped back the sheets to check for bed bugs, and so was the bathroom, but I wouldn't even wear my slippers on the filthy carpet. Surprisingly, they had Free High Speed Internet. It was cheap, and if that's all you can afford, OK, but next time we'll just skip Big Spring altogether and drive a few more hours to a better place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kanda
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The other two reviewers are quite right. Super clean room for half the price of the big guys nearer the highway. (Exit I20 at exit 179. Follow Business 20 past Quality Inn and down about a mile and a half.) Got here at midnight after car trouble put us behind schedule. (Planned on being in NM by now!) Sleepy clerk/owner(?) was not effusive in his greeting, but was not rude. Got a room on the end, with no neighbors. Room was very hot, but a/c has 2 speeds - turn it on high and room cools right down. Large, newly redone bathroom was great, although Big Spring has hard water and the shower head had some lime buildup and the spray kind of went everywhere, and the sink is quite small. I don't care about that. I care that the bath & towels are clean - which they were. Yes, the tv is small. Really, do you expect a big screen tv in a $40 room? And no hairdryer or coffee maker, But is does have a fridge and a microwave. And the cable and the wi-fi worked great - way better than my sucky wi-fi at home in the big city! We got a king non-smoking room for the price of a single. and it really was n/s - not a hint of smoke. I am super allergic and no problems at all! The only complaint at all is that there is not a passive lock on the door, which made me a little nervous, but I pulled a chair in front of the door, and voila! I have security!
Really, the exterior is old and rundown, but the interior is quite nice. Put aside your prejudices and give it a try. You'll save a ton of money!

Room Tip: ask for best rate. Smile & be super friendly
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank An0nM0m
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I'm an independent musician and I spend a lot of time on the road in budget hotels.

The Scottish Inn is fantastic! I mean, don't expect the Ritz but when it comes to budget hotels I haven't seen one better. There are a couple things that are important to me.

1. Cleanliness - This room is super clean, I don't know what detergent they used but I loved crawling under the sheets and smelling them all night.

2. Sleepability - That's why you buy a budget hotel right? This one is great. I'm up late and sleep late. This room is DARK! The bed and pillows are awesome. Usually budget hotels skimp on the pillows (in quantity and quality) which really sucks. They did not. I finally got some good sleep.

In addition they bathroom has a nice tub so I got a soak in and they have free (and reliable) Wi-Fi, which is more than I can say for rooms I've paid 3 times this rate for.

The only thing that's strange is how the rooms are laid out. Also, the TV is small. Luckily I don't care about either of those things.

You're not going to beat $40, it's half what everyone else is charging. Drive the 1 mile out of the way to get to this place, you'll be happy you did.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tomgossmusic
Reviewed October 17, 2009

A man my husband mentors has been moved to the Federal prison in Big Spring...a four hour drive from our home. Since the visiting hours begin early in the morning he now must spend the night. On this trip he decided to try the Scottish Inn Hotel in Big Spring.

He reports that the hotel is old, well-kept, clean, basic, well managed, affordable and convenient to the Federal prison. The reservation was made on-line. Check-in was easy. The room was clean and simply furnished. The room had a television, clock radio, free WiFi, a microwave but no coffee pot or hair dryer. The bed was comfortable although the sheets didn't fit well.

The location is near the downtown area and an easy drive to the Federal prison. At no time did he feel unsafe. If you don't require any more than a simple, clean room for a very reasonable price you might want to consider this Scottish Inn. He plans on staying there again on his next trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business