“Amazing time spent here!”

Colorado Bend State Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Bend
More attraction details
Owner description: A hidden jewel of the Texas park system. Colorado Bend is situated in the Hill Country along the Colorado River and is home to Gorman Falls, a 65 foot waterfall paradise. Fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking and other great opportunities abound.
Dallas, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing time spent here!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

There is no running water in the restrooms but are some of the cleanest public restrooms I have ever used. There are water hoses to rinse off after swimming which can be used to take a semi-shower. On the 4-mile hike to Gorman Falls we encountered maybe 7-8 people the first half and 0 the second half of the trail. Overall, a fun time if the people you are with enjoy being outdoors

1 Thank Anthony L

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Excellent hiking. Pristine. Beautiful. Immaculatey clean!!!!!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just spent Veterans Day hiking in this park. It was wonderful. Our first hike was to Gorman Falls. The falls themselves were absolutely beautiful and surpassed our expectations. I believe it was
helpful that there was some rain in the few days preceding our hike. The trail to the Falls was rocky and steep at the end. I would not recommend this trail for very young children or elderly who have a difficult time walking.
All trails that we encountered were somewhat primitive, Rocky and were much more easily traversed with good hiking shoes.
We were glad that we did the trip to the Falls first as I believe we would have been tired and skipped it at the end of our day.
I have seen several complaints about the 4 or 5 mile what was called a dirt road. It is actually a very well-maintained gravel road. If one drives the speed limit there should be no problem whatsoever. I drove it in a brand-new car that was low to the ground and never once sensed that there were any negative issues.
We drove down the gravel road until it dead ended and took a right until it dead ended at the Spicewood Springs trails. We have hiked in Colorado, Utah, Arkansas and many places in Texas and not spent a more enjoyable afternoon than we spent on this trail. It is singletrack, primitive, includes Highbluffs, springs, water crossings and some rough hiking. In places the trail is not clearly marked and one must be careful to and be methodical while watching for the trail. It always involved simply going a few steps further and then turning around and getting back on the right trail. We never got lost. I recommend this trail for people who have previously hiked, are nimble, and who have good shoes. A hiking pole/stick is very helpful. I also recommend that this trail not be started late in the day. Allow yourself substantial time to complete it. I for one would not want to try to find my way through this trail in the dark.
Carry plenty of water on all trails. We took a picnic in our pack and are glad that we did.
We never saw one single hiker on the Spicewood Springs Trail and only a couple on the Gorman Falls Trail which made the day all the more special. We were shocked that the park was not packed. Anyone who enjoys hiking and has some experience would love these trails.
We did see many deer. They were beautiful. We also saw a hawk, lizards, lots of butterflies and a huge variety of trees cactus etc.
We saw in previous reviews someone had complained about stickers. We never got one single sticker the entire trip. Perhaps it is the time of the year.
At the end of the day we were exhausted. But it was a good kind of exhaustion after having been out in nature in a wonderful park.
It is important to mention that we never saw one speck of trash the entire day. I am not kidding. No cans, glasses wrappers etc. The park rangers are to be commended for keeping this place in such great shape. Also the hikers and vacationers apparently do a good job of not leaving any trash on the trails. It was exceptionally clean.
Finally, none of us are thrilled about paying taxes. However, it is wonderful to see our taxes put the such a good use as maintaining this park for anyone who wants to enjoy it. I for one am proud to contribute to Texas State Parks.

4 Thank bpj1
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Primitive Camping”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Yes, there is a long.. long.. dusty, rocky road to get to this location. One that actually may or may not have contributed to the flat tire we had upon arrival. Lucky, we had a full size spare and the park ranger provided us with a hydraulic jack! This certainty did not keep us from enjoying our time. We were at site number #24. It was a nice little spot.. however, had no shade. So even in November it can get kinda miserable with no shade. This location also has restrooms at the top of the hill. Convenient for our stay, yes.. but anytime we left with our vehicle we came back to people parked in our spot just to use the restroom. Our campsite was pretty quite most of the day. Some of the sites looked so busy.. tent after tent with a good amount of people. I'm happy we ended up with the spot we did. I also do not recommend fishing here.. the park ranger mentioned that it used to be a great spot but not anymore. I had no luck after a few hours.

This place books up fast on the weekends so call in advance/book online early. You don't have to vacate until 2PM. Overall, it was a nice campsite. I'd stay here again.

2 Thank Beth M
The Woodlands, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Disappoint”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Do not believe the pictures when you decide to go the state parks. That is what we did and we were very disappointed. Driving on the rough dirt road was not the problem but was not worth it. Do not waist your time.

Visited September 2013
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Simply Disappointed”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Disappointed is what we were from the time we got out of the car, to the time we left the camp after only one night, giving up the other night we paid for.

Other reviewers have talked about the long drive in on the dusty, rocky road. Yeah, it leaves your vehicle a mess, but who cares. That didn't bother us. (except that on the way in, I reeeeaaaally had to pee!) What did bother us, literally from the moment we stepped out of the car, were the prickly grass stickers. It mainly bothered our dogs. They kept getting stuck in their paws and it was super painful even for us to remove. Luckily, I had tweezers with me to I could remove them without pain to me. These things were really annoying cause we were constantly having to pull them out of their paws. We tried to lay down blankets so they wouldn't have to be confined to the concrete by the picnic table, but that didn't help. We'd planned on doing some hikes, but decided against torturing our dogs with more stickers. About the campsite. If you like trees and shade, forget about finding it at this park. The only shaded camping area were for group camping. The rest of the spots were out in the wide open without any shade. Miserable. I couldn't even hang my hammock to relax. To make it worse, there aren't any showers to rinse the sticky sunblock, bug spray covered sweat off. We did know this going in, but it wasn't a problem until there was no shade to seek relief. We found this park to be much more lenient than other State parks we frequent. They didn't control the number of cars, or tents per campsite, and they don't enforce the 10PM quiet time, as there was a huge crowd of campers at the sites next to us talking and being loud for quite a while, and dogs nearby that would not stop barking.

I may have rated this park higher if we were able to experience some of the hiking and falls, but since we couldn't, we could only review what we experienced.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Beth S
ColoradoBendSP, Manager at Colorado Bend State Park, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello Beth S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Colorado Bend State Park.

As you experienced, Colorado Bend is a primitive park that allows visitors to get away from traffic, people, and technology. Being in the Hill Country, the natural environment can be unforgiving. Snakes, cactus, and stickers among other elements are present.

We are sorry to hear that your dogs had trouble. We have first aid available for instances like this.

We are also aware that not having shade in the middle of a Texas summer can be brutal. We do have a few campsites that offer no shade during the heat of the day. However, we offer other options like our drive-up sites which have shade next to a bluff with several trees, as well as some sites with covered shelters.

We are sorry to hear about your negative experiences with other campers. Unfortunately, some individuals do not act out while our Park Police Officer is present. So, we rely on our visitors to alert us of issues, so that we may respond. We have a zero tolerance approach to breaking park rules.

We would love for you to come out again, so that we could help you pick a campsite that would meet your needs.
Please give us a call, so that we can address your concerns in more detail.

Regards,