“Great backpacking trip”

Colorado Bend State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Bend
More attraction details
Owner description: A hidden jewel of the Texas park system. Colorado Bend is situated in the Hill Country along the Colorado River and is home to Gorman Falls, a 65 foot waterfall paradise. Fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking and other great opportunities abound.
Cicero, Indiana
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great backpacking trip”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My daughter and I did a three day backpacking trip to the park and it was fantastic! I was amazed with the variety of scenery and wildlife. There are a number of great hiking trails and we ended up hiking over 25 miles during our trip.

You should definitely check out Gorman Falls but be forewarned that the last 1/4 mile of the trail is very steep and is mostly rocks. If you have any physical limitations I do not recommend trying to navigate all the way down to the falls.

The visitor’s center staff was very helpful and they have a good supply of potable water.

The one area for improvement is trail marking. Some areas have great signage and the trails are well marked while in other areas they are not. They also use a color coding scheme to mark trails but I never found a key anywhere as to which trail was which color. That would have been helpful.

One last thing, during all of our hiking we saw exactly five other people so if you like solitude, this is the place for you.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank trchaseKY

Dallas, TX
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Secluded Park”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went there on a weekday in October and there were only about 4 others there. It was peaceful, beautiful, lots of wildlife, and secluded.

Of course, the road in was rocky and you have to use your head and stay safe, but it's all part of the experience. Bring drinking water. No showers available. Non-potable water available. Composting toilets.

For what I had in mind -- peace, quiet, seclusion, wildlife viewing, photography -- it was perfect.

Visited October 2012
Divide, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hidden jewels await you.”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I read these reviews before I went and what was so true is that if you go during the week, YOU WILL HAVE THE WHOLE PARK TO YOURSELF. What a treat. I took my two boys and just me primitive camping. Easy mile hike in to the campsites. Deer were everywhere. We had a full moon to keep us lit up all night. Too hot to do this in the heat of August.
Due to the drought, the water was way down but you could see the fish swimming in the water. Take your fishing polls.
Make sure to go down the trail "Spicewood Springs". As you go down the trail, keep going straight. Its confusing as it is not clear when it gives you an option to go straight or to the right. Keep going straight. You will then see the arrow (on your second choice to go straight or to the right) - to go right. As you come around the rocks, your jaw will drop. An amazing spring fed lagoon awaits you. You will feel as if you found heaven. The water is cold and green. All fresh spring fed water. The pool is about 9 feet deep with fish. SLIPPERY ON THE WATER FALLS so watch the young ones, and yourself for that matter. Be smart and watch the underbush for snakes. I finally got in the water and as I moved around to where the boys were, I saw this HUGE COILED UP SNAKE under the area where I just entered the water. It was a viper - mocissan watching the boys swim for an hour. Please just leave them alone and go on your way.
Most of all, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE YOUR TRASH. I found dirty diapers, water bottles, food wrappers, etc. Respect the environment and others that will soon share this place with you. Take your trash with you!!!!!!! I collected a lot of trash sitting around and left it for the park ranger. They should have trash can out there though.
Now, we saved Gorman Falls for last. After hiking 8 miles in the heat (over 100), I was saying to myself, "This better be worth it.". After a mile, I'm thinking, "No way are there waterfalls anywhere nearby. This must be a joke.". No joke!!!!!! Check out the picture I saved with the rainbow. AMAZING and the water taste so good. PLEASE DO NOT SNEAK in to the off limits area. It will destroy everything. Go around and down toward the river and you will find the water that pours in to it. There, fill up your water bottles with the best coldest spring water ever. What a wonderful place to visit and spend with my boys making memories that will last a lifetime. Please share your pictures if you happen to go. You won't regret it!!!!!!

Visited August 2012
10 Thank Windi G
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great camp site during low season!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My partner and I had a really great visit to the park this past winter. The camp site we chose was right just up a small inclined bank from the river with a view of the beautiful bluffs on the opposite side. We generally look for campgrounds that are well maintained but not "set up your tent next to your car". We also love hiking. This park gave us everything we wanted. The hiking trails were in good condition and led to a really spectacular waterfall. I believe you can drive most of the way there is you prefer not to hike. The campsites were nice and level, with fire pits that have connected grills. Going in late February, we happened to pick a night in which the temps dropped to freezing, so it was cold, but that was part of the fun. We would definitely go back. It was great for us (a couple) but would also be great for a family camping trip.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank mattyboy549
Austin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great place with a lot to do”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We went camping with the Boys Scout and they had great time. The park is in a very remote area but very pretty. The have cave tours, a water fall tour and a nice river if you want to go fishing. It is semi-primitive because you still have water and potty but no glamping unless you bring your RV. The scenery is beautiful but the hike to the fall is not easy.

The closest town is 35 miles and there is no phone reception in the park.

Visited May 2012