“Good food. Very dated environment.”

Charlie's Bar-B-Q & Hamburgers
Ranked #9 of 63 Restaurants in Bellaire
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I felt like I was back in the Army in 1981. For the most part the food was good. Basic food, done very well. The people care and that is worth quite a bit.

I am guessing their catering does quite well, as their in-house environment is actually quite crappy. It really is. Sorry for that.

I am not from Texas, but travel the world over and this was a place I would not visit again, but the people we were with love it. Based on that, take a chance yourself and make your own decision.

The best of staff!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed February 19, 2019 via mobile

Charlie's BBQ offers a wide variety of meats cut to order in front of you. Generous sides includes rice,bbq beans, macaroni & cheese, corn just to mention a few. The dining area is large and can accommodate party's of any size. They offer to go orders and catering. The customer service is spot on but I thought the pulled pork sandwich was flat it tasted more like a sloppy joe which I hate. The meat was moist and tender but was doused in so much spicy BBQ sauce it left it un-edible and unpleasing.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed December 14, 2018

we stopped in to get sme bbq since they were just aroundthe corner from us . we were pleasantly surprised to see them cutting the meat right up front as we ordered . The brisket was very smoky and tender . Our pork ribs were also on point . Generous servings on the sides as well . Well worth the visit and we willbe stopping back by again .

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed July 18, 2018

Always consist & good. The Brisket & potatoes are good. The salad & dressings are good. Family friendly.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Barbecued food is popular in Texas and burgers are widely appealing. So, when I was looking for a place to dine with my daughter, I knew I couldn’t go wrong with a place that emphasizes these two staple foods and it was enough to convince me to pay a visit to Charlie’s Bar-B-Q and Hamburgers.

This restaurant features a western style atmosphere complete with deer and other stuffed animal heads on the walls, wagon wheels, and other rustic accompaniments. The inside is larger than I would have originally guessed. The restaurant is located on the corner of a strip mall and when I walked inside for the first time, I figured it was going to be your typical strip mall restaurant with seating for maybe thirty or so customers. But in fact, the inside can easily hold about 100 customers so it is large and since it is reasonably hidden away, no matter when you visit, there should be spaces to sit.

This restaurant is operated in a cafeteria style fashion. You pick up a tray, walk down the line, and select your food. You then self- serve your beverage and look for a table. They serve salads, sandwiches, burgers, brisket, desserts, etc. I was tempted to get the brisket or something else barbecued, but I wasn’t in the mood and instead went with the Angus beef chicken fried steak with two sides. I liked my chicken fried steak and veggies. The macaroni and cheese wasn’t the greatest, but I was satisfied overall. And my kid enjoyed her children’s burger and sides, so we left feeling happy.

Because this restaurant specializes in barbecued food, the scent of smoked meat fills the air and, in fact, you can smell it before you even walk through the front door. My kid wasn’t too thrilled with this aspect of the experience, since she doesn’t appreciate the smell of smoke. But she and I both liked our food at Charlie’s Bar-B-Q and Hamburgers and combined with the attentive service, this establishment easily earns a recommendation.

Date of visit: June 2018