“Good Food, Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“Good Food, Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled on Buttermilk Cafe while looking for a good old-fashion breakfast. That's exactly what we got. The omlettes weren't pretty, but it was tasty. The hash browns were nearly perfect with just the right amount of crispness. My son loved his strawberry pancakes. It was a Sunday morning and the staff was busy, but still very friendly and attentive.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Chris L

Hurst, Texas
“It's not great, but it's acceptable. Watch what you order!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I eat with these people pretty often, and it’s good enough I keep coming back. Part of that is lack of choices in the area, and their general comfort food menu. I showed up today at 11:30 on a Sunday, and it was predictably a mad house. There were people lined up to be seated, and it took them about 10 minutes to seat 10 people over 3 tables, but it was moving along.

By default, I landed with JoAnn, probably the best server they have, although all of them are very good. I didn’t waste her time with a drink order, appetizer, blah blah blah – because they were busy. She took my whole order at once, including the drink. This restaurant offers complimentary soup with a meal, and today I took it because it was cream of broccoli.

In nothing flat I’ve got my drink, my soup, and rolls and cornbread. It’s about 12:00 noon straight up by now and the after church floodgates have opened. It didn’t take much longer to get my meal on the table of fried catfish, yams, and slaw.

You can certainly see that the kitchen is in a rush. The food quality was sorely lacking, and I didn’t eat but about ½ of it. The yams were not sweet, and there was no marshmallow topping – they didn’t even look good. The catfish was barely cooked enough, and they had not given it time to get crispy, and when they poured it onto a plate, it just drained grease everywhere. The slaw was pretty good, and I ate most of that. Realizing they are slammed, I didn’t want to bring it up, or send the food back.

When the owner, Mr Yung cashed me out, he was less than interested with what’s wrong with his food. He asked me if everything was OK, and when I told him it wasn’t he politely ignored that and just made change for me.

I go to this place often enough, but usually for breakfast. Would I come back? Yes, almost guaranteed I will. Would I recommend the place? Not without provisional warnings that quality is a crap shoot, and to be careful what you are ordering. The price is certainly fair at $8.60 for a full lunch. They are as middle of the road as any café could get. It’s not always good, but it’s seldom bad enough to send something back to the kitchen. Oh, and the pie case you see in the picture is not typical. They are usually aged a few days too many, and I’m not interested in their desserts.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Texas
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This place is actually one of the better places to get breakfast from what I've discovered. It was a bit of a drive for me, but it was well worth it. Service was good and the food even better. I was expecting to wait in line based on what I previously read. That wasn't the case for a late Saturday morning and into the lunch hour. Definitely a hidden gem.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank trfan77
Arlington, Texas
“Down home goodness!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I had the chicken fried chicken. It was great. Juicy & tender.
Others with us had liver and onions, burgers (huge), chicken strips meal. All were real good. No complaints.
Waitress kept our drinks full. Nice temperature.
We will return.
Oh, the dinner rolls were amazing. Waitress kept those coming also. Mmmmm....mmmmm....mmmmm....

4 Thank 669MikeH669
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This restaurant has such a nice "homey" feeling to it that my family and I love. We come here many times every week because the food is great, the prices are reasonable, and the waitresses are cute, friendly, and experienced. One of the best things I like about Buttermilk is that I often get allergic reactions to bad/old grease and oil used in food but having made Buttermilk my 'go to' restaurant, the allergic reactions never happen. That means they use clean oil and I can tell their food is always fresh. I'm very appreciative of their care and genuine use of fresh, clean food.

My family and I always leave satisfied and wanting to come back more.

4 Thank Sharon0584