“Great food!”

El Hacendado Restaurante
Ranked #100 of 179 Restaurants in Baytown
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Recently discovered this restaurant and I am in love with it! Great food, great staff.....food is authentic, not like the 'tv dinners' served down the street :)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a tiny little place on Highway 146 at I-10. We've driven past it many times, and finally decided to go in for my husband's birthday. I looked all over the place for reviews, information, anything on this place, and could only find one little paragraph from two years ago. They said the food was good, prices were good, but the air conditioner only worked when it felt like it.

Two years later, that's still the case. We were the only people in the restaurant on a Saturday at around 5:30 pm. That's unusual. The girls working there seemed friendly enough. We were told to sit wherever we wanted. They have a few tables, and some plastic booths. The seating looks really dated, like something out of an older fast food restaurant. The girl that seated us asked what we'd like to drink, and I pointed at the Strawberry Margarita on the menu. I was told, "Oh, we don't have our liquor license. We don't have any of that but I can give you a free beer." So..yeah.

I asked for a soda, and they brought me a can and a plastic cup. This is an actual restaurant, mind you, not fast food, so it was kind of strange to me. I asked for a bowl of queso to go along with our chips. The server walked off, and after a few minutes I looked around to see where she was. There were only me and my husband there! She was standing behind the bar talking to a boy. Eventually another lady saw me and asked me if I'd ordered, and I told her I was waiting on queso and no, we hadn't ordered. Two seconds later, the other girl came with my queso. I could tell it had been ready, because cheese has that thin film over it if it's set for a minute or two.

We both ordered the quesadillas. One "Large Quesadilla" plate, and one "Three Quesadilla" plate. They both come with three quesadillas, but the larger plate has bigger quesadillas. They were surprisingly good. The flavor wasn't bad, and they were really stuffed with cheese. The rice was flat, and I didn't try the beans. My husband had to carry the empty chip basket up front and ask for more. To be the only two people there with at least three workers, we weren't waited on hardly at all.

The air conditioner was broken. The server told me it had gone out, and the owners were out of town so they couldn't get it fixed. I thought that was interesting, seeing as how that small write up I found from 2011 stated that the a/c either didn't work at all, or made the place freezing cold. (The writeup I found was from some men's group that had been on more than one occasion. My husband seemed to think they turn it off when the place isn't busy to save money on electricity. Like I said, this was 5:30pm on a Saturday, and we were it. When we left, 3 or 4 more people came in, but that was it. My husband said he's never seen the place with more than a couple of cars in the lot.

The price was actually pretty decent, and the portions weren't too bad. Two cokes, a tea, a large quesadilla plate (8.99), a regular plate (7.99), and queso came out to around $22. They opened a Luna's just up the road, higher prices, but better food in my opinion. El Hacendado does have a drive through, so if I was just hankering for a quesadilla, I might stop out of convenience.

It was terrible, but it wasn't special. They have no website.

2  Thank sugardevil