“Quiet, relaxing and beautifully maintained”

Matagorda County Birding Nature Center
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I visited the nature center early in the morning and, although I'm not a birder, I really enjoyed my walk. The center is very well maintained and includes a number of different environments, wetlands, thicket, streams and ponds, flower gardens, and has many benches for sitting and bird-watching. I surprised a deer as I walked down one of the many paths and enjoyed all the birds. A great place to spend a peaceful and quiet hour or two.

3  Thank texasrepublichistory
There are newer reviews for Matagorda County Birding Nature Center

Reviewed May 3, 2014

It's a pretty park! I had a Nutria come up to me and it was surprisingly cute. There are a lot of turtles and sea birds, beautiful gardens, and flowers. It's only 5$ per car load or 3$ a person. I ran into some staff and they were friendly and told me a lot about the animals and area. I try to stop in whenever I visit town.

2  Thank Crystal H
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a local birding center and although very pleasant, didn't live up to our expectations. Much of that could be that we had visited the San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge the day before and it was magnificent. This was just okay and a nice way to spend a couple of hours if you are in the vicinity. One of the nice features is that you can rent a golf cart for $5/hour and it's a great way to get around if you are physically challenged. The birds seemed to be common varieties and the flowers and butterflies were not in season when we visited. We did see a turtle in the water but other than that, we didn't see much. The entry fee is modest though so if you are in the area, it is a nice way to spend some time.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

There is plenty of shade! We went when it was about 95 degrees out, and it was still pretty cool.

There are plenty of birds to see (we surprised a few), and the scenery is gorgeous. It was definitely a pleasant surprise!

1  Thank Morgan B
Reviewed February 24, 2013

You can rent a golf cart or just walk the trails. You are sure to see some interesting birds, and possibly deer. There is a lot to discover in this park. The office at the front has lots of information to help identify the flora and fauna in the park.

3  Thank serwfotog