“Disappointing”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Bay City
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bay City
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Upon check-in our room had an overpowering moldy/mildew smell and was very clammy and humid. We attempted to change rooms but the two other rooms we were shown were just as bad. The front desk person told us it was due to the recent rains; this is no excuse for not de-humidifying and dealing with mold/mildew and allergen problems.

We chose to remain at La Quinta because it was the only hotel available in town with a 2 room suite and we wanted to be able to visit with family in the living room area. My mom, dad, and brother visited our room for less than one hour when we arrived; we were questioned repeatedly about the number of guests staying in our room, despite the fact that I assured the check-in front desk person that only 3 of us (my husband, our child, and myself) would be staying. There was no indication that we were going to be throwing some sort of raging party in our room (a small family and a couple of briefly visiting grandparents certainly aren't the usual suspects I would think). They even called the room to inquire again after asking us twice in person as we were bringing in our luggage! The repeated questioning was ridiculous.

I typically stay at La Quintas when I travel because in the past I have received consistent and friendly service. I'm disappointed that this was not the case during my most recent stay.

I have also provided this feedback directly to La Quinta, so maybe they'll address these problems...until then there are other better choices in town.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Beth520

Reviewed October 1, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I would recommend to anybody! Hotel is clean and rates are very good. Staff are very friendly as well and assisted us in resolving some issues we had with checking into our rooms! Will be going back this weekend!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is worth the stay. Nice, clean, big breakfast, allows dogs and has bags for pickup... All of the amenities. We will definately stay here with our boys again (lab and papillion). Everyone there seemed to respect the dog area which is a nice grassy area with bags and trash cans for convenience. The front desk gentleman in the morning was cleaning the front lobby and asked for our opinions of the place. He was a good listener and host. He invited us back and promised to continue making our stay there pleasurable. Rarely do we have that much attention from the front desk staff so I wish that I had gotten his name. I do think he may have been a manager.

Room Tip: Get an executive King.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were extremely pleased with this lodging... in town for a funeral and had booked online but we had the dates wrong. Not a problem as the people at the front desk just changed it at same price. We were on 3rd floor just across from the elevator and found the room to be very quiet. No noise at all from any direction! Room and bathroom were spotless - good water pressure with lots of hot water. We found the workout room and downstairs restroom to be spotless and odor free as well. Did not use laundry or pool. I am amazed to read these other reviews (after the fact) to learn this was a pet friendly place as there was absolutely no doggie smells (or sights) anywhere. We especially enjoyed the 5:30 - 9 AM complimentary breakfast -- everything we tried was tasty and there was a wide assortment to select from. We liked having a tv in the breakfast area as we caught up on some morning news. All staff we encountered were extremely polite and helpful -- even gave my husband a comp toothbrush when he realized he'd forgotten his. Front Desk people were extremely helpful to us on Aug. 29, 2013 when we arrived. I don't know where any of these bad reviews came from as we saw NOTHING negative.

Room Tip: Rm 307, 3rd floor is near elevator yet very quiet and seemed very spacious to us as compared to othe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was ok. The room was smaller and more expensive than comfort Suites next door. The staff needs to be a little more friendlier. The pool and grill needed to be cleaned. The hotels kinda smells.

• Stayed: May 2013