“Worst Holiday Inn Express in Texas” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bastrop

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bastrop
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bastrop
Texas
“Worst Holiday Inn Express in Texas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2007

Holiday Inn Express in Bastrop TX is definitely sub-standard compared to the many other Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed in though the years. I wish I had checked with tripadvisor prior to booking into this location. My room had a odd unpleasant odor and general cleanliness of this facility is poor. The front desk personnel I dealt with were definitely in need of training and direction in basic customer relations and check-in transaction processing. My room charge was $109.00 for the one night I stayed and I would have still rated this location negatively even had the room been free. Avoid the Holiday Inn Express in Bastrop TX.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Travis72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this location so that we could road bicycle and hike in Bastrop and Buscher State Parks nearby. Well, the location was good and the room was overall okay. (Smelled a bit musty and had stains, but otherwise okay.)

This was a Priority Club reward stay (used points, no charge was to have been made to the room.) Upon checking in, we verified that this was the case and even asked the front desk clerk to write it on the check in form, since a $106 rate was listed. (Mind you the room nights were booked directly with Priority Club.)

Upon checking out, I noticed that there was a charge to our credit card for two nights stay! I asked the front desk clerk to fix it, and she said that she did not know how, but after pushing at least wrote on our reciept that we were not to be charged for the room. She refused to call the manager as she said he would fire her if she called. A message was left for Gina to call me first thing Monday morning - no call. I called 3 times and never got her and the manager refused to talk to me. I called Priority Club and the hotel would not call them back either. Finally I got ahold of Gina, and she said it would be fixed. After several other calls, I never could get proof that it was refunded and had to file a correction through AMEX who reversed the charges as the hotel would not return their calls either. (I had proof that the room was to be no charge.)

The only time the manager ever came out of his office was when he saw us wheeling our road bikes (very clean, cleaner than most shoes...these are high dollar bicyles) and said we could not bring them in. Ha, if someone can bring a stroller in, their hiking shoes, in, etc. We are bringing our bikes in. (We have never been questioned, even at beautiful B&B's) The funny thing of it, we had been bringing them in on Fri, Sat, and Sunday. The only time he said something was when we were bringing them in while we showered before checking out....and then when there were problems on checkout he was nowhere to be found.

Well to be honest - the price, even being free was not worth the hassles of the billing errors in that place!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor staff and manager
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank pcsanity
Boulder Pointe, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

This must be the worst hotel on the planet! We checked in at 9 p.m. on a Monday night, and were given one of the last rooms in the hotel. When we entered our room, the first thing we were struck with was the awful, nose-burning stench of moldy carpeting. Over by the window, the management had left a large maintenance fan blowing downwards on a huge wet spot on the carpet. Obviously, that's where the obnoxious smell was coming from.

While my husband went downstairs to the front desk to ask for a different room, I opened the window (which was screened) and tried to air the room out. Bad mistake. I didn't know that the screen on the window was ill-fitting, and while I went downstairs to see if my husband was having any luck getting a different room, dozens of tiny bugs entered our room through the gaps between the window and the screen.

The desk clerk said that the only other room available was a "smoking" room, so we had to choose between a stinky smoky room or a stinky moldy room. Being assured that we'd be moved to a different room in the morning ("...to one of our GOOD rooms." the clerk said.), we chose to stay in the moldy-carpeting room. (Did I mention that I have bad asthma, am on daily medication, and am sensitive to many airborne irritants, such as mold or smoke? And yes, we made sure that the front desk knew about my condition, not that they cared.)

We went back upstairs to our moldy room, and that's when we saw, to our great dismay, that we'd been invaded by many, many tiny crawling bugs. So, we spent the next hour (after having driven 14 hours and being exhausted) climbing on furniture and swatting these bugs on the ceiling & walls. Yuk! (We found out later that the hotel staff, upon being told of our bug-swatting ordeal, had a huge laugh amongst themselves at our expense, and one of them even joked to me later, at the end of our stay, "But if you leave, who's going to swat our bugs for us? Har har har!")

Also, the maid had left a dried, crusty washrag from a previous guest hanging on the shower rod in our bathroom. Ugh!

The next morning, we went downstairs to speak with the manager. He refused to come out, but communicated only through the desk clerk, Gina. Gina apologized and said that, "You should never have been given that room, what with the wet carpeting and all. That window leaks with every rain." She also said that as soon as the current guests left, we'd be given a "GOOD room." Since we were planning to stay 8 more nights, we were glad to hear this. Not that we had any choice, since there are very few hotels in Bastrop, TX.

My husband made it very clear to Gina, who supposedly communicated it to the invisible manager, that we did not expect to have to pay for our first night in that awful room. She said that she understood.

Well, guess what? When we checked out at the end of our stay, we WERE charged for our first night in the "moldy" room. We pointed out in their brochure that Holiday Inn has a "Hospitality Promise" which states that "...if any part of your stay is not a complete success, you will not pay for that part of your stay."

The manager, who continued to hide out in a back room and communicate only through Gina, the desk clerk, said that he would only give us a $30 credit on the $116 room charge.

So, apparently, the "Holiday Inn Hospitality Promise" means nothing to this man, whose name is Hiren Patel, if you're interested. Enough said on that count.

We are going to file a complaint with the corporate headquarters of Holiday Inn (Intercontinental Hotels Group), and hope to get them to honor their "Hospitality Promise", and perhaps yank this owner's franchise to avoid a lawsuit.

In closing, we urge all of you who care about your health, sanity, dignity and peace-of-mind, AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• Liked — The lady staffing the breakfast room was very nice and helpful.
  • Disliked — Being forced to pay for moldy, stinky substandard accomodations.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank appletree83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bastrop
Hampton Inn & Suites Bastrop
#8 of 9 in Bastrop
Hilton Austin Airport
Hilton Austin Airport
#45 of 197 in Austin

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bastrop? Share your experiences!