“Hills, Valleys, Rivers and Lakes”

Pine Forest Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18-hole Bermuda Grass course with water in play was designed by Billy Martindale at par 72.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a neat course: the topography is varied, very varied! Some holes a essentially flat with a mild dogleg. Others involve shooting across a wilderness valley or a small lake. More interesting that Lost Pines course in Bastrop State Park and a lot cheaper than Wolfdancer at Hyatt Lost Pines.

1  Thank Alan_and_Vera
There are newer reviews for Pine Forest Golf Club

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I went to play this course after doing research on the internet. Everyone was extremely friendly and we had a great time. The views from several of the holes were absolutely breathtaking. The elevations really played tricks and made for a tough course - we did lose a lot of balls. There are some holes that need to have a little more guidance. We got lost on one hole (one color tee is on one side of a river and the other tees are on the other) and had to drive around a little bit to find where we should tee off. Overall, this is a fun course to play that is challenging but has great views. The only downside was that some of the fairways were closed off even the temperature was over 90degrees. There is no beverage cart, so stock up before you go out.

1  Thank TXDaycationer
Reviewed May 10, 2012

It is a difficult track, with a lot of variety, up and down, left and right. Some carries can be somewhat long, especially if you do not pick the right tees. Greens are very good, with subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) breaks. Condition is usually good, tending to average if there is a long period of heat and no rain. Many holes with no houses, only trees and brush. A few holes with excellent views across central Texas and others next to the Colorado river. Ammunition: 2-3 balls. A good value for the money and worth a daytrip.

1  Thank Mike A
Reviewed November 19, 2011

You can play a lot of golf courses in and around Austin. Sure, you'll find courses with better grooming, but you will be hard pressed to find a tougher challenge than the blue yardage at Pine Forest.

From the blues, the course plays at just over 6,500 yards with a slope of 132. Not extremely long, but this is a narrow course lined by thick brush and trees. It demands accuracy, especially from the Par 3s. No. 12 is a 180-yard Par 3 with a stunning drop to the green. Very hard to pick an accurate club on that one. Oh, No. 13 plays at 561 yards from the back tees with a drive uphill. Better bring it on that one.

Fortunately, the course came through the tragic forest fires earlier this year without substantial damage. I feel terrible for the folks who lost their home on the hilltop along No. 6.

1  Thank gapngo
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is one of the courses I happened to stumble upon. I play about twice a week, and was just looking for a track that I had not played yet... Well I made a tee time and spent the $75.00 to fill up my car, and drove to Bastrop. Walked in, "Herb" is the man, very helpful, and polite, paid my $20.00, and was thinking to myself, "this must be a goat track, for only $20.00". I was very pleased with the course, well kept, and nice greens.
Don't be fooled by the $20.00 cost, it is very much worth it... I have taken a few of my friends out for a round and they can't believe it...

1  Thank dscott1970