“Excellent Food”
Review of Hasler Brothers - CLOSED

Hasler Brothers
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This should be easy to find. They have a website. One of the best steaks that I have had. As good as any of the big steak restaurants in Chicago. The service was excellent. We were in Bastrop for the first time. I hope to get to go back and eat at Haslers again. Mary Anne Gardiner Grayslake, IL hr_mag@comcast.net
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Wow, The food was excellent. You could cut the steak with a butter knife and the crab mac and cheese was wonderful. Definitely, will recommend this place to friends and family.

1  Thank Joel G
There are newer reviews for Hasler Brothers

Reviewed July 30, 2012

When we were seated at the back at a four person table. There was a large group in the middle of the room of about 12 people. It appeared they were done with their meal. We got water quickly. We had plenty of time to look over the wine list. We made a decision and waited. Now when there is a large table I tend to give the wait staff a bit of a break. Finally, our waiter came over and asked if we wanted something to drink and we tried to order the A to Z Pinot Nior. Well, it appears the large table was also having that wine and they had no more to give us. OK. We asked a few more questions about other wines and our waiter needed to go get someone that needed to know a bit more about the wine list. I actual appreciate it when a waiter admits he doesn't know something vs selling us a line of bull. Another woman waiter came over and after a brief discussion we made a decision.

Overall the service was slow. However, again our waiter was the same as for the large table. We quickly found out they were just starting their meal and not at the end as it appeared. It appeared there were two waiters and a bartender and a hostess plus kitchen staff. It was a Saturday night about 8pm. On more than one occasion the woman waiter asked if we were doing ok. Good to see she was trying to help the guy out. However, half way through our meal she walked by and said you guys have a good night. Her tables were done and she was going home? As I looked around it appears it was only us and the large table left in the restaurant. As we were there to enjoy our friends company instead of starving it was all fine. A bit strange but fine.

The food is the main point of any restaurant. We got the crab stuffed mushrooms. To be honest I felt they had a tad too much bread crumbs on them. Over powered the rest of the dish. All you could taste is bread crumbs. The steaks are good. You are able to cut them with a butter knife. The green beans were way too salty and the mash potatoes had way too much butter. The bread is good but I don't tend to go to a restaurant for it's bread. My husband did his steak Oscar and it was the most unusual Oscar, I have ever seen. Severed on the side and appears to be a bit more creamy than again it needed to be. For desert we ordered bananas Foster and a triple chocolate cake. Now this is one of my complaints. We ate about two bites into the chocolate cake and found a blue spot in it. We called our waiter over and asked what that was. He took it to the back. Came back and said they were not sure but do we want another piece of it. Hmmmm would you? We ordered something else for desert and it took forever. Once we got it we all enjoyed it but would have been nice for it not to take as long as by the this point the 12 person table was gone. We were the only ones left in the restaurant.

Got the bill and was a bit shocked that one of the deserts wasn't complimentary. Whatever only $8 but didn't sit well that we had just spent over $200 and you could give us a desert free as we found what we think was mold in your cake. Then as we were done paying they actually did turn the lights off on us. I looked down at my watch and it was 11:15pm. I know that is late for Bastrop but seriously? You couldn't be a bit more polite about it. The lights did come back on but we got the hint. We got up and went to Cindy's for a drink. Understand that Hasler's and Cindy's are owned by the same people. At this point I didn't really want to give them more money but we were also in no mood to find another place or call it a night.

Overall, they do ok. I don't think we will be back. I would like to know what they do in their prep or cooking to make the steaks so tender. However, not worth the drive from Austin or the price to figure it out. A 7 oz filet is $30. Not terrible but for the fact the sides are not eatable without a gallon of water, it is high.

I think the place could be great but they have a few things to get better. However, when there is zero competition I don't know how much they will do.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Steak was faaaaaaantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "melting" in the mouth. In the case, you are in Bastrop area- it is definitely worth visiting this restaurant.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

To start with, I don't throw around 5-star ratings for fun. I truly think Hasler's deserves it. It is NOT competitive with what you'll find in NYC or Chicago, but it is most definitely competitive with Austin! From earlier reviews, I gather it's improved. My husband and I moved to Bastrop County from Austin a year ago; he still works in Austin and we have lots going on there so have no hesitation about going to Austin for a nice meal, but Hasler Bros. has become our favorite for a special meal and experience, even over Austin options!

1. Food -- The steaks are EXCELLENT, and ours have always been cooked to perfection. Some of the apps are very good (crab cakes), others worth eating but not great (oysters, but then what can you expect on oysters in Central Texas in a steakhouse?). All the salads we've had have been excellent. Side dishes ROCK! Steaks come with a standard of haricots verts and mashed potatoes, but you can "upgrade" for a fee to one of the a la carte sides like baked potato, asparagus, etc. We've only room for desert once, but the "chocolate chip souffle," chocolate chip cookie dough in a ramiken topped with vanilla ice cream, although it might sounds trailer trashy, was to die for! Oh, and their hot, fresh bread.....I could eat it till I'm sick.

2. Bar & wine -- We LOVE the bar area. Elegant and relaxed, outstanding service -- we could spend all evening there. And, you can order food from Cindy's next door, if you want to sit in a nicer bar and nibble on more traditional bar foods. Scott, the bartender we've always had, knows how to mix his drinks! Hasler's has a very good wine selection, priced for the area, low-to-mid range prices, but excellent selection. And every waiter we've had knew their wines well and made perfect recommendations.

3. Atmosphere -- In an era when restaurants are becoming increasing loud, due to a combination of hard surfaces in modern designs and increasingly loud music, Hasler's is a respite. Soft, relaxing "standards" style music plays in the background, where it should be. The interior has what looks like it's original brick walls; lots of wood. The bar has plenty of natural light, and the dining floor is darker, with both booths and tables. Fine dining but without the more formal or stuffy feeling you get at some places; we fell like it's a relaxed fine dining atmosphere.

4. Service -- OUTSTANDING, across the board. From the hostess who asks, "booth or table? large booth -- more private -- or small booth?" to the bartender Scott who knows exactly when you're ready for another drink and can either serve you quietly or carry a conversation if you're so inclined, to every server we've had. Unfortunately, I don't remember all their names, but all were perfect -- we've NEVER felt rushed when we order multiple courses, which we usually do; nor have we ever had to search the room to find someone because we need something and no server can be found. At the ready without being pushy. Excellent and honest recommendations. Courteous, friendly, and professional.

5. The Extra Mile -- At about 8:00 on a Saturday evening, after our afternoon wedding out in Bastrop County, my husband & I and some of our guests descended on Hasler's, unannounced. We originally thought we'd have 6 or 8 of us hanging out in the bar. It turned into 24 of us wanting food. Did I say UNANNOUNCED? And dinner time winds down early in Bastrop! Hasler's provided a private room for us and two servers waited on us for over two hours, serving appetizers, meals, drinks.... Very professionally, great attitude, very kind, and very timely service.

6. Cost -- Some have complained about the menu prices at Hasler. I find the food and wine to be comparable in quality to some of the best in Austin and the prices to be significantly less. Some of the top end steakhouses in Austin may be better (and there are several new ones I haven't been to), but they are also more expensive, usually much more so. Last night, we celebrated my birthday at Hasler's with a dinner of two appetizers, two salads, two steaks with side "upgrades," one dessert, and one bottle of wine, for a total of $155 (before tip). THAT is a deal!

I hope Hasler's will be around as long as I am!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We're local Bastrop county folks. We tend to steer clear from big city fancy dinning, but we like to indulge occasionally. We were looking for a dinning experience, but going into Austin wasn't an option;
Hasler Brothers peeked our interest due to the Curbside view. We instantly took to the old warehouse vibe, from looking in from the street.
We were greeted and seated immediately. The decor was elegant in a rustic building; they were easy on the wall decor but the exposed building created charm.
The menu, drink and wine list had a respectable selection. However, I felt like having a beer. Although it was apparent the menu offered up selections best paired with a wine or martini. Some chefs would have scoffed at my request for a beer with dinner; perhaps our chef did; but it was kept to themselves.
We proceeded to order the wedge salad, Dynamite sushi, pork chop served with mash potatoes, and green beans. Our waitress was delightful. My rave in particular is the sushi. Sushi is only on the menu Tuesday and Thursday.
We choose the dynamite sushi. It was the best I've had.
Our entire dinner was delicious.
My husband and I had shared a wonderful dinner. Don't go there and be in a hurry. Your food won't come fast. But go a head and order a glass of wine, a martini.... Or a beer and relax, visit and connect with your dinner party. This place can be romantic, a great place to gather with a few friends, even entertaining clients for dinner. Slow down and experience Dinner as it should be. Food to nuture the body, time with the ones you love to nuture the soul.