“Maxine's - Small town comfort!”
Review of Maxine's

Maxine's
Ranked #4 of 106 Restaurants in Bastrop
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Texas Monthly rates Maxine's one of The 40 Best Small-Town Cafes in Texas and one of the 40 Best Breakfast Places in Texas!
“Maxine's - Small town comfort!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Tried Maxine's again in Bastrop - it was great the first time and better the second time! We got the last available table on a Friday night. Live music - guy on guitar that was doing a great job. Great menu options so we opted for the Friday special - Fried catfish, cold slaw, pinto beans and fries. The fish was exceptionally fresh and tasty, the cold slaw tasted home made, the pinto beans were rich and flavorful, but a bit salty. Service was good, price was great - food delicious - can't beat that! We ordered dessert to go - yummm - chocolate chip cheesecake and German chocolate cake - fantastic. Make an effort to find Maxine's on Main in Bastrop. It's a little town that has come to life.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Sue S

San Antonio, Texas
“Barely Makes the Mark”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We visited this place around five PM and we were the only ones there.
Our server was a friendly guy named John and we ordered the signature fried green tomatoes and their tomato bisque soup. The soup arrived cold and when we tried it again it was hardly warm. It tasted too acidic to me.
The batter on the green tomatoes was crispy and tasted good.
My entree was the liver and onions. This is one of my
favorite dishes, but they over-cooked the very thin slices of liver.
My sides of Mac & Cheese and jalapeno cream corn had strong possibilities.
My BW had their signature chicken fried steak.
Horror of horrors; they Panko crust this item. This does not work. Chicken fried steak tastes natural just fried with a light batter. Panko crusting creates a hybrid
of very crunchy dry tasting steak.
Our dessert was a very Nasty piece of Peanut Butter Cheese Cake. That was outstanding.
This is a very touristy place in the heart of "historical
downtown Bastrop". It's Texas Kitsch at it's worst.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank bobemac
“Nice escape”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This was a stop enroute from Austin to Bastrop. The menu is full of exciting options-it was so difficult to decide. The waitress recommended a burger, and it was good-just nothing special. In hindsight, I think I would have preferred the fried green tomato, bacon and lettuce sandwich! If I find myself back in Bastrop's quaint Downtown, I'll definitely try again-just choose some other fun item from the menu!

Houston
“Homemade Texas treats”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great stop enroute from San Antonio to Houston for those who don't want the boring/congested I-10 route. Tried the fried green tomatoes this time - yum! Great breakfasts (homemade giant biscuits and jelly) and lunch. The stop and Shopping at the eclectic old town made our journey home from a great weekend even more fun!

• Visited September 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very pleasant surprise as we were driving through Bastrop. Full of nostalgia, decorated with lots of old signs, old wooden floor, brick walls, etc. Water and other beverages served in wide-mouth quart canning jars. Both entrees that we had were very good and very generous. Pleasant waitresses took care of us , serving us with enthusiasm. Yes, I'd recommend this place to anyone passing through the town. .

• Visited August 2013

Been to Maxine's? Share your experiences!