“Pleasant surprise”

Maxine's
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Bastrop
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Texas Monthly rates Maxine's one of The 40 Best Small-Town Cafes in Texas and one of the 40 Best Breakfast Places in Texas!
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very pleasant surprise as we were driving through Bastrop. Full of nostalgia, decorated with lots of old signs, old wooden floor, brick walls, etc. Water and other beverages served in wide-mouth quart canning jars. Both entrees that we had were very good and very generous. Pleasant waitresses took care of us , serving us with enthusiasm. Yes, I'd recommend this place to anyone passing through the town. .

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Recently on the way back from the Hill Country we decided to stop for lunch and turned off hwy 21 and found the old Bastrop downtown - surprise! We discovered Maxine's on Main. A down home country cafe that had a wide variety of items and a daily special. It was full but we were able to be seated immediately. Friendly staff - I opted for an old fashioned cheeseburger - delicious! Tasted homemade! My friend selected the daily lunch special - King Ranch Chicken with fresh vegetables - she agreed it was one of the best. Large glasses of ice tea! I ordered the German chocolate cake to go - - ate it later in the day and it was scrumptious - Mark your map! Great place to stop when headed or returning from the hill country.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We wondered into this cafe because we needed to use the wifi, and have a light bite to eat. The decor is fantastic. Very cute cafe. I felt so relaxed in there. The food was VERY good (I had a grilled cheese - and it was the best grilled cheese I've had in a long time!!). The iced tea was served in large glass containers, and the service was wonderful. Very friendly. The cook was even talking to us. If we had stayed in Bastrop, I would have been coming here regularly. Incidentally, even though we were in Brenham, we did drive back an hour or so to get back to Bastrop, for their amazing Lemonade :)

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in Sunday morning on our way from a weekend at the Hyatt Lost Pines. My hubby and I had eaten here before and wanted to take my niece and her hubby as they follow Texas Monthly. We had to wait about 30 minutes, but were not surprised by that. We were given both breakfast and lunch menus. The service was fast and friendly, but not rushed. The guys really liked the chicken fried steak ( you can get it with breakfast or lunch sides). The bacon was thick, crispy as ordered and delicious! The breakfast tacos were ok. The prices were wonderful after over-spending at the Hyatt! I will be back to Maxine's.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you're looking for plain cooking in a friendly atmosphere, Maxine's is the place. My daughter and I met for lunch. I had the chicken fried pork cutlet, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. It was just what I had hoped. Service was fast and friendly -- even though it was the noon hour. Décor was simple but comfortable.

Been to Maxine's? Share your experiences!