“Eh...”

Maxine's
Ranked #4 of 105 Restaurants in Bastrop
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Texas Monthly rates Maxine's one of The 40 Best Small-Town Cafes in Texas and one of the 40 Best Breakfast Places in Texas!
Austin, Texas
“Eh...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I think Maxines is not worth the hype. I have had 2 bad experiences of 3 there but unfortunatelly, their fried green tomatoes are amazing so I do visit still. One time I got the chicken fried chicken and it was actually good. My sides were cold but it was fine. The next time I split the chicken fried steak and it was BURNT. I told the waitress about it and she was very nice, offering to get another one but I was in somewhat of a hurry so I just cut out the burn borders, leaing me with half of what it was. Their pies are to die for though so maybe I will just continue to visit for apps and desserts :)

• Visited November 2012

“Not a best place for breakfast”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Tempted to rate as poor overall, but the cheerful waitress and quaint setting merit something. Food hoovered perilously close to poor. My enormous pancake was dry and the "maple" syrup was colored corn syrup. The coffee was acceptable, hot and plentiful. As a place celebrated for breakfast, Maxine's was sorely disappointing; pancakes are the only option during non-typical breakfast hours. I couldn't even get a scrambled egg.

My companion's veggie plate of broccoli and brown rice was bland. All of the seasoning--an inordinate amount of garlic--went into the butter beans. The antiquated shotgun building has charming, but overly bendable wood plank flooring. When someone walked nearby, our table dipped. Seriously. The local color caught my eye, but the food quality doesn't warrant another visit.

Spring, Texas, United States
“Thanksgiving Feast”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were camping in Bastrop over Thanksgiving weekend and really enjoyed the buffet on Thanksgiving Day. Food was good, great selection. Wait staff was very attentive and special attention from the owner was nice. Pies are to die for so save room.

• Visited November 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
“This place is the real deal.”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Went for breakfast on a Sunday morning while passing through Bastrop. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The biscuits and gravy with crumbled bacon on top were amazing. Thought I might be able to eat the full order, but just couldn't do it. If you want breakfast, this is the place to go.

“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We went for dinner over the weekend and were excited after reading all the great reviews. We were very disappointed in our food. If you like frozen food from a bag you are in luck. My husband and I had the fried fish. Huge portions but fish was bland. My son had chicken tenders and onion rings both frozen from a bag. Sides of sweet potato fries- frozen, side of Mac n cheese- bland and side of corn- cold! Service was slow but very friendly. Will not go back.

Been to Maxine's? Share your experiences!