“Great food, make sure you have room for pie!”
Review of Maxine's

Maxine's
Ranked #3 of 107 Restaurants in Bastrop
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Texas Monthly rates Maxine's one of The 40 Best Small-Town Cafes in Texas and one of the 40 Best Breakfast Places in Texas!
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Passing through Bastrop from College Station on our way to San Antonio. Went in at 7pm on a Friday night, was busy but we still managed to get seated right away. They had a band performing which I usually don't like (I hate having to yell to be heard) but it was loud enough to be enjoyable but not too loud to stop all conversation.

I went for "breakfast for dinner" and got the pecan griddle cake. This thing was huge, bigger than the dinner plate it was served on! I managed to eat half before running out of gas, but it was yummy! My daughter did the mini-burgers and onion rings. She lived both, and the onion ring I snagged was crunchy and full of flavor. Son did turkey deli sandwich with fries- these are the thicker, steak fries which were good. I wish we had room for dessert - there was a whole case full of delicious looking pies and cakes. Lemon cake, chocolate cake, coconut chess pie, buttermilk pie, cherry pie, apple pie, lemon meringue and more. They were all homemade and looked so good. Hopefully next time, because we will be back!

There are newer reviews for Maxine's

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Know going in that it's small like the town so expect to wait. With that said we only waited 15 minutes and the place was packed! We will Definately go again and next time I'm trying the Pecan Praline Chocolate Cream Pie!

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We enjoyed our breakfast and dinner at Maxines. The portions are large. The food delicious My biscuit was the biggest I have ever had --- like a loaf of bread. It could have fed a family of four. I like the water being served in a mason Jar.
They had a nice band playing on friday night that made it a festive place. This is obviously were the locals come to eat.
My steak was cooked just how I liked it. The wine was ok. But given the prices it was fine. They had many desserts to choose from.

The service was very attentive and friendly. You are greeted with big smiles.
They have an interesting fun antique decor. Legend has it ,the resident ghost, named Jack haunts the kitchen and its staff. Ask the staff and they will tell you a tale or two.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Our servings were so large, we had enough left over for dinner the next night at our hotel.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Had breakfast at Maxine's today and it was wonderful. The eggs were cooked perfectly, from "over very easy" to "dry scramble". Pancakes had a different flavor that was very appealing. You might even want to try the pancakes with the home-made peach jam instead of syrup. Either way you'll get a great pancake. The biscuits are so big one guy next to us asked, "Is that a piece of cake?" They are super fluffy and not doughy. The chicken fried steak served with eggs was perfectly seasoned and fork tender.
The menu is fairly short but we had four different items and they were all great. Apparently they subscribe to "Do a few things brilliantly" rather than "a bunch of stuff mediocre". The only complaints we could muster were they didn't offer pillows afterwards and there was entirely too much food.
You should know that if you go expect to wait for a table. If you're in a hurry and have to eat right now, this probably isn't the place for you. Once you order though, the food comes out in a reasonable amount of time.

Been to Maxine's? Share your experiences!