“Third wonderful trip to the Dixie Dude Ranch!!”
Review of Dixie Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Dixie Dude Ranch
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We attended our family reunion at the Dixie Dude Ranch for the third time and had another fabulous time! We made our reservations early & requested the same cabin as our previous stays, the Rebel, and could not ask for a better view or room. The cabin is rustic with tile floors, wood paneled walls, two full beds, a spacious closet & a nice size bathroom with a shower/tub. The back window overlooked the mountains.

One of the things I love about the ranch is that it is a small ranch, so we had the place to ourselves for a family reunion of approximately 55+ attending. There is a swimming pool & a hot tub, ping pong, tether ball, horseback riding & a hayride. We could let our children have the run of the place & not worry about where they were or who they were with.

The town of Bandera is very charming & shopping is a must. I made several purchases & my only complaint is that I didn't have enough room to bring back all the antiques and bargains I wanted to bring home!

The staff is beyond helpful. One of the office staff even tracked down a retailer, Kline Leathers, who I had purchased from on one of my previous trips in 2003. He has since closed his store in Bandera, but happened to be attending a festival in which I was able to visit & make my purchases. I was so grateful!

I can not begin to tell how wonderful the food is! Every meal was delicious & served family style, so come hungry. The chef even provided us with the recipes we were served & I made sure to purchase a cookbook from the gift shop.

We left the Dixie Dude Ranch longing for the next trip back. It is an expense, but your food is included & the memories made are priceless.

3  Thank kelriles

Reviewed July 1, 2009

We just had a great family reunion at the Dixie Dude Ranch. Clay and his staff were awesome to the whole family. The kids and the adults loved the place. We all wish it could of been longer. We were able to see a Buffalo up close and pet it. We saw the best trick roper with his 90 yr father and son to assist him. They feed you 3 meals a day and the food is awesome. Your able to ride or go on a hayride to eat breakfast on the hill with beautiful views of the TX hill country. I would recommend it to anyone and our family can't wait until the next time we are able to return to the dude ranch!!

2  Thank reneewall
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I just got home from Dixie dude ranch, we had a family reunion and I am extremely happy. We have stayed there before and Clay and his crew do not disappoint. We had a wonderful time, great food and the management met every request my wife and I had.

I hope to be back again.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank GW3Louisiana
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We returned Sunday from our family reunion at the Dixie Dude Ranch. Our family is so large we had the entire Dude Ranch to ourselves. The kids swam, rode horses, swam, rode horses, etc. The Hill Country views are amazing, especially when we went to the Cowboy Breakfast on the Hill top, yum!! My husband even invited his sister and his brother family to join us. The Dixie Dude Ranch has special meaning to us since it was the place my Grandfather last attended a family reunion before his death in 1995. We expect that is will be hot, sweaty and nothing like a 5 star hotel, but that is okay because Clay and all his staff make it worth our money and time there. AND the food is fabulous!!! If you are looking for a great family vacation give the Dixie Dude Ranch a call.

3  Thank jspector
Reviewed June 28, 2009

"I just got home from Dixie dude ranch, we had a family reunion and I am not very happy with the accommodations that we had. It was two adults and a two month old and we were stuck in a room the size of a closet, we had no room for our stuff and really no safe place to put the baby. We either had him so close to the window unit that he had really cold air blowing on him or he had to be in the direct path of getting in and out of the room. Either way he wasn't very comfortable and for 254.00 dollars a night you would expect to be able to turn around in your own room. There was horse back riding but the sunset ride, the one that was the least hot was an extra 30.00 per person. I had to watch walking in and out of doors because several times i did cut my hands up because of nails or torn screen porches and with carrying a baby, it wasn't easy. The wait staff was the only thing about the whole experience that i liked, they were really nice but management was another story. On a whole i would not recommend this place to anyone because for the money I could find so much more enjoyable things to do or try another ranch.

9  Thank Maryedobson
blurfits, Owner / Manager at Dixie Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2009

While Dixie Dude Ranch may not be for everyone, we have faith that we will go above and beyond for all of our guests and exceed everyone's expectations.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

Every year since 1946 my family has gotten together to visit one another. In the past 15 years we have been to this Bandera ranch a total of 6 times. In all that time, not much has changed. This is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the things that have changed are probably for the worse.
When I was a single guy I had no trouble "roughing" it a bit, and being without A/C or suffering through some minor luxuries were merely an inconvenience. Now, however I have a wife and kid. When we booked the room for our family reunion we knew there would be some space concerns, but what we did not realize was that we would be in what amounted to a closet you could barely turn around in and a bathroom so small brushing you hair was questionable. Outside the room was disrepair such as rotten wood on the railing and seats, exposed wire on the screen doors that scratched (with a baby this was a navigational issue), and a bathroom door that refused to stay closed because the doorknob was busted.
We understand there is something to the ambiance of being on a Dude Ranch. And while the service staff are beyond measure, they suffer because of management's inflexibility in dealing with their customers.
When we brought our discomfort to the management (owners?) of the establishment, we were told "not our fault". And charged us the same rate as anyone else without concern for their LOYAL customer base. This, plus the "recommended" gratuity at the bottom of the bill was inexcusable.
Did I short change the service staff for the mistakes of the management? I certainly did. And it is my hope that the message is heard by everyone (including the staff) that the management needs to appreciate their loyal customers and take their needs into consideration. We will most likely not hold another gathering at this particular ranch. And if we do, I may just miss a year.
Anyone can be a hotel or resort. Not everyone can be a host.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank monkeyrogue

Reviewed May 19, 2009

We had a wonderful family vacation at the Dixie Dude Ranch. It is the only dude ranch in Bandera that allows young children to ride double with the parents. The trail rides were fantastic. The food was excellent. Three meals a day served family style. I recommend this dude ranch to anyone with small children.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family