“Dobson Reunion”
Review of Dixie Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Dixie Dude Ranch
jspector
“Dobson Reunion”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We returned Sunday from our family reunion at the Dixie Dude Ranch. Our family is so large we had the entire Dude Ranch to ourselves. The kids swam, rode horses, swam, rode horses, etc. The Hill Country views are amazing, especially when we went to the Cowboy Breakfast on the Hill top, yum!! My husband even invited his sister and his brother family to join us. The Dixie Dude Ranch has special meaning to us since it was the place my Grandfather last attended a family reunion before his death in 1995. We expect that is will be hot, sweaty and nothing like a 5 star hotel, but that is okay because Clay and all his staff make it worth our money and time there. AND the food is fabulous!!! If you are looking for a great family vacation give the Dixie Dude Ranch a call.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank jspector

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Maryedobson
Reviewed June 28, 2009

"I just got home from Dixie dude ranch, we had a family reunion and I am not very happy with the accommodations that we had. It was two adults and a two month old and we were stuck in a room the size of a closet, we had no room for our stuff and really no safe place to put the baby. We either had him so close to the window unit that he had really cold air blowing on him or he had to be in the direct path of getting in and out of the room. Either way he wasn't very comfortable and for 254.00 dollars a night you would expect to be able to turn around in your own room. There was horse back riding but the sunset ride, the one that was the least hot was an extra 30.00 per person. I had to watch walking in and out of doors because several times i did cut my hands up because of nails or torn screen porches and with carrying a baby, it wasn't easy. The wait staff was the only thing about the whole experience that i liked, they were really nice but management was another story. On a whole i would not recommend this place to anyone because for the money I could find so much more enjoyable things to do or try another ranch.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank Maryedobson
blurfits, Owner / Manager at Dixie Dude Ranch, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
While Dixie Dude Ranch may not be for everyone, we have faith that we will go above and beyond for all of our guests and exceed everyone's expectations.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Every year since 1946 my family has gotten together to visit one another. In the past 15 years we have been to this Bandera ranch a total of 6 times. In all that time, not much has changed. This is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the things that have changed are probably for the worse.
When I was a single guy I had no trouble "roughing" it a bit, and being without A/C or suffering through some minor luxuries were merely an inconvenience. Now, however I have a wife and kid. When we booked the room for our family reunion we knew there would be some space concerns, but what we did not realize was that we would be in what amounted to a closet you could barely turn around in and a bathroom so small brushing you hair was questionable. Outside the room was disrepair such as rotten wood on the railing and seats, exposed wire on the screen doors that scratched (with a baby this was a navigational issue), and a bathroom door that refused to stay closed because the doorknob was busted.
We understand there is something to the ambiance of being on a Dude Ranch. And while the service staff are beyond measure, they suffer because of management's inflexibility in dealing with their customers.
When we brought our discomfort to the management (owners?) of the establishment, we were told "not our fault". And charged us the same rate as anyone else without concern for their LOYAL customer base. This, plus the "recommended" gratuity at the bottom of the bill was inexcusable.
Did I short change the service staff for the mistakes of the management? I certainly did. And it is my hope that the message is heard by everyone (including the staff) that the management needs to appreciate their loyal customers and take their needs into consideration. We will most likely not hold another gathering at this particular ranch. And if we do, I may just miss a year.
Anyone can be a hotel or resort. Not everyone can be a host.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank monkeyrogue
Wesley Myers
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We had a wonderful family vacation at the Dixie Dude Ranch. It is the only dude ranch in Bandera that allows young children to ride double with the parents. The trail rides were fantastic. The food was excellent. Three meals a day served family style. I recommend this dude ranch to anyone with small children.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wtmyers
california
Reviewed May 7, 2009

This was an amazing experience. I enjoyed the trip thoroughly. From the minute I got to the ranch everyone made me feel at home. Although some people would be put off by the lack of television and cell phone service, for me it enhanced the trip. The staff accomodates different levels of expectations from the traveler but to really experience the trip total immersion is recommended. In addition to gviing the real ranch hand experience, you get the added benefit of weight loss. The food was delicious and plentiful. The wranglers were personable and knowledgeable. I now have new extended members of my family. Thanks for the great time. Can't wait to come back to see all y'all.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank melons728
Hampton, VA
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Our family was excited to go to the Dude Ranch to ride, have some western cooking, hay-rides, swim, fish and enjoy the great outdoors. I must say that we did have fun because we were together and the other families there were extremely friendly. However, it was very over-priced. We only stayed 2 days, which cost $920! We did get to ride horses twice a day which was excellent. The horses and guides were wonderful. But the food was just average (or below) and the activities were very basic. The food was served family style so we got to visit with others which was nice. However, the meals were just OK. They weren't western! We expected steaks or chili or burgers on the grill. We got pizza with spaghetti one night, a chicken casserole another day... nothing western! I was looking forward to a cowboy breakfast or something but that didn't happen either. No hay-rides while we were there. When we got back I looked at the site and they do have the word "occassional" with the hay-rides & cowboy breakfasts. For the on-site fishing, they only had 8 really cheap rods (hard to even work) with a pond that was more like a puddle (think the drout has dried it up). The hot tub was disgusting! It was not clean at all as well as the little kid wading pool. They were both green with things floating. The pool was nice, but they don't have towells so we had to bring those on a plane. They had a ping pong table but you had to pay a quarter for a ball. It was nice that the kids could just run around and play with each other, but not worth that much money. We could have just gone camping and done a side trip with horses for the same thing. The entertainment was cheesy. The guitar by fire was nice one night. Also, didn't like that they had us add a tip with them in front of us when we paid our bill. They put in the "suggested tip" on the itemized bill. We felt obligated to tip and they should have made that an optional thing like an envelope in the room or something. We stayed in "buckaroo" cabin which was nice. set of bunks for kids in one room and us in a double in the other room with our own bath. Overall, it was nice to be with my family and for them to all get to know others there but I would recommend staying at another dude ranch in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank The_McSmiths
TX
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We have just returned from our 4th stay at the Dixie Dude Ranch. After this many visits, it's obvious we love it! The staff is exceptional-friendly, knowledgeable and competent and caters to all age groups. The food which is served family style three times a day is delicious. We went on two trail rides a day on gentle horses. The cowboys keep a close eye on the riders and are happy to answer any questions. The scenery is stunning, beautiful Texas Hill Country. Our cabin was large and very comfortable. It had a fireplace which we used 2 of our 6 nights as it was quite chilly for a few days. Each evening, there is a campfire and generally entertainment, everything from music to a trick roper and a very gentle longhorn steer. It is a great place to relax; there is no pre-printed schedule that you must follow. I can hardly wait to return in the spring.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera
River Oak Inn & Restaurant

Been to Dixie Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!