“The Most Wonderful Place”
Review of Dixie Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Dixie Dude Ranch
London, United Kingdom
“The Most Wonderful Place”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Dixie Dude Ranch and it was 2 of the very best nights I have ever had on vacation. As a city girl it was a world apart from what I know so I was a little hesitant about the whole idea. Well it was spectacular. The ranch is like a movie set, the cowboys and cowgirls are so friendly and reassuring you feel like you have known them forever. The staff will bend over backwards to make sure you have everything you may need and the food was plenty and delicious. If I could have stayed there forever and become a Ranch girl myself I would have. Thank you all for a memorable utterly relaxing stay. We will be back as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Valle d'Aosta, Italy
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I had a great time at the Dixie Dude Ranch. The atmosphere makes you feel like you are back in the old times: antique and western-related furniture and decoration is very well done. The staff and owners were very nice and the food abundant and delicious! The wranglers were super nice and so were the horses. The scenery is amazing and there are endless possibilities for hiking around and see interesting wildlife (from scorpions to jackrabbits and armadillos!). I was there without a car and never felt the need to get to the town of Bandera, which is some 8 miles away. The hot tub offers great views of the starry night...

Room Tip: I had the "stirrup" room, which is perfect for a solo traveler or a couple. It is really c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank sabrinarosa
Dalls, TX
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My family of four with 2 kids (3 and 21 months) joined up with my parents and sister's family with her two (6 and 8) for an AMAZING vacation at the Dixie Dude Ranch this October. I've always said that a trip with kids is just that, a TRIP not a VACATION, but this place proved me wrong. The entire family was able to relax and have fun for an entire week. The kids made friends, became confident riders and had an amazing time just being outside! The littlest one just kept walking around the ranch from sun up to sun down, going to see all of the animals, studying whatever he found in the dirt and calling to the dogs (nicest dogs in the west!)

Yes, some of the cabins need a bit of updating and we would have liked a larger bed in our room, but each cabin is unique and there is something for everyone. As it has been said, this is rustic, real ranch experience. Don't expect glitz and glamour but do expect some of the nicest people, a relaxed environment and a break from reality that we all need sometimes.

As a mom, I loved not having to make any big decisions. Meals were served when the bell rang, we rode 2x a day and found plenty to do around the ranch. Great for the kids with tether-ball, a swingset, pool, etc. Can't wait to go again and recommend it to all who enjoy unique and relaxing vacations;.

Room Tip: Ask for advice from the staff when choosing. They are all different. With kids? You might want one n...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KSHDalls
Cotati, California
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We spent a week at the Dixie Dude Ranch in October. In our group we had 6 adults and 4 kids ranging from ages 1-8. This was the perfect ranch for all of us. The kids could roam without having to be under constant supervision. There is no need for TV here, between the animals, outdoor games and pools there was something for everything. Our wranglers were great, special thanks to Rory, Brandy, Dave and Joe – we rode twice a day and every trail was a treat. Food was real “home cooking”, don’t expect to go on a diet here. The entire staff was great. Nights were spent on hay rides, dancing or listing to the cowboys sing then ended each night around the campfire with marshmallows. Already miss the ranch, can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I'm amused by the reviews complaining about room amenties and pricing. If you're looking for a 5-star resort with 1,000 thread count sheets, no, this is not the experience for you. It's a ranch, folks. If you want more of a "pretend" ranch, there are plenty of resort ranches in the area that would be better suited to those expectations. Dixie is a smaller-scale, family-run ranch that provides a far more authentic experience. They also happen to have a sweet piece of hill country to ride into (some of those other ranches are flat as pancakes...no thanks) To those who say they don't mind roughing, but "not at that price," I really have to wonder...what planet are you from? I had my own cabin, two rides a day (at least one of which was tailored for advanced riders like me), and was fed three amazingly hearty meals a day--all for around $150. Here in the Northeast, two hours of trail riding will set you back at LEAST $70. Throw in lodging and meals, and it becomes one of the best bargains in Texas.

Words can't even to begin to describe my experience at this ranch. It's a memory that will stay with me forever, and an experience I hope to repeat again soon. It was my first time there, and I was definitely in the minority. Most of the guests have been coming for years--for over a decade, in some cases. This says it all. If you're looking for a memorable, authentic western riding experience, this is the place. If you're not comfortable with TV-less silence, a few unprogrammed hours a day, and family-style dining where you'll get to know your fellow guests, by all means...check out the larger, more commercial ranches. Disney World, it's not.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Roxana L L
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, after the schools went back so it was quieter and no kids! We made the best use of 2 trail rides, evening entertainment and 3 fab filling meals every day. Lots to keep us busy yet felt so relaxing and far away from normal life. Great value and couldn't recommend enough.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ivoryginger
Langley, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2011

As a newly married couple we went when it was way too hot and their were too many kids but nonetheless the ranch still did a great job to give us a great holiday. We were fortunate to have a few adult only trail rides and they were outstanding! Felt like I was actually ridding a horse and not just sitting in a long line of trail rides. The pool was great, especially at night when the sky was full of stars. The food was always satisfying and the accommodations were not elaborate but still clean and comfortable. Would have had more activities if the weather was not so hot. Hiking, fishing, horse shoes, volleyball... all great activities but not when it was 105 F.

Room Tip: The stir up was a great cabin for a married couple
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank canadianballfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera
River Oak Inn & Restaurant

Been to Dixie Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!