“Great looking restaurant with good food.”
Review of OST Restaurant

OST Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Bandera
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This is a great restaurant to go to in Bandera. There are a lot of photos of old Western movie stars in this restaurant, so it's worth going just to see that, but the food is pretty good too. I really liked their fried chicken with french fries, they make good tortilla chips, and they had a pretty good cheesecake. Only problem: You get one refill on your drink for free, but every refill after that costs 50 cents each. Overall, though, OST is pretty good.

1  Thank jameygamer
There are newer reviews for OST Restaurant

Reviewed October 5, 2010

You are in a small town so just go with the flow for those of you complaining about the staff.
We had Country Fried Chicken, unbelievably excellent!!!!! I don't think I ever had chicken this good and juicy and with a light crispy breading that excels. We also ordered pie and paid for our meal, asked the waitress to put it aside for us. We went shopping in this great little cowboy town, and then came back an hour later to eat our pie. No problem at all!
If your doing the Hill Country as we did last week, run don't walk to this great find!

1  Thank 2,542
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My wife and I spent 6 days in Bandera. We ate here 7 times and each time had different food and it was always very good. The wait staff were friendly and efficient. Service slowed some when the place got busy but wasn't a problem. The food prices were fair and you get your money's worth.

This is a colorful place to eat and meet some really nice local folks. The John Wayne room is interesting. John Wayne himself donated most of the memorabilia in the room. He came here often while making the movie "The Alamo."

The saddles at the bar need replacing. We didn't sit on the saddles to eat except my wife sat on one to get her picture taken. Even though this was a holiday (Easter) weekend parking was not problematic.

We will definately go back next time we are in the neighborhood.

1  Thank itsmemikeyt
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My mother (mid-60s) and I (mid-30s) enjoyed a trip through the Texas Hill Country in mid-March 2010, following the conclusion of a conference I worked at in San Antonio. We stayed in Bandera two nights and Fredericksburg two nights and explored Castroville, Boerne, Comfort, Kerrville, and other towns during that time.

One of the highlights of our trip was eating two breakfasts and two dinners/suppers at the Old Spanish Trail Restaurant in downtown Bandera. I am pleased to recommend it to other travellers who want to feel they've experienced an authentic meal in a true Texas town.

We ate so many meals at the OST because we (1) had read about it in various guidebooks and travel magazines and here at TripAdvisor, and we (2) stayed at a sub-par mansion-inn in town that did not offer breakfast. While we could have eaten evening meals at the mansion, we weren't interested in doing so after casing it out--just staying there two nights was enough. Finally, once we had enjoyed our first evening meal at the OST, we came back because we (3) just plain liked it so much! It's a classic and a hoot!

We found the service friendly enough, and we enjoyed talking to the owner of the OST who also served as the host. He visited with us for quite some time the first evening we were there, even though it was a busy Friday. We felt the majority of the people eating at the OST were locals or people from the area--not other tourists.

My mother and I generally enjoy staying at top resorts and hotels or well-regarded inns, and we try to avoid chain restaurants. We also love eating at "real" places that "fit well" into a community. The OST is such a place in Bandera! Just walking in, you feel you are in another time and place.

We tried different things on the menu and liked everything we had. I most recall us trying chicken-fried steak, fried chicken and guacamole nachos in the evenings. The biscuits, grits and breakfast tortillas hit the spot in the mornings.

The salad-bar-on-a-chuck-wagon is fun to look at because it's so retro. I normally enjoy "finer" cuisine and love nice wine, but I got a kick out of the red Jello squares and basic salad fare on the salad bar. Reminded me of a zillion salad bars of my youth in the late 1970s and 1980s. Also, some of the table-tops are laminated with ads of local businesses--most excellent!

In the front room, we were seated at a large table that we shared with two gentlemen who seemed to be passing through Bandera after taking care of some business that day. We were asked by the host/owner if we would mind sharing a table, and we said we were fine with that. We actually enjoyed having the opportunity to visit with our table-mates for a few minutes.

We weren't expecting the OST to be a gourmet experience, so we were well-pleased with our meals there. I am happy to recommend it to others--you will feel like you are at "the" place to be in Bandera to watch the locals and enjoy the local fare!

Also, you may be interested to know there are a couple nicer ladies' clothing shops on the same block, and Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar is fun to check out across the street. There's also a statue/monument to local cowboy champions on the courthouse lawn, an interesting small library and a Western heritage park--all these are on the main drag just a short distance north of the OST. The Western heritage park contains a nice outline/map on the walkway of the great cattle trails that went through the area.

1  Thank HoosierFarmGirlinDC
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Had the tacos and chalupas for lunch. Yum! And the guacamole was delicious. It is a good place to eat with small children.

1  Thank midwestmomtv