“Just Ok, but great for horse lovers.Owner was condescending”
Review of Rancho Cortez

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Rancho Cortez
San Antonio
“Just Ok, but great for horse lovers.Owner was condescending”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Pool was closed for cleaning on our day trip, indoor "heated" pool was freezing, tv in break room was broken, and the food was very average. However, the biggest complaint was that the owner was nice at times, but he was very condescending and made inappropriate sexual comments with young children around. Although i haven't been there, the flying L ranch in Bandera seems to be a much better choice based on reviews and driving by that ranch.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank perezeddie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
HOUSTON, TEXAS
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I'm a year late in writing this, but it certainly deserves the kudos.
Took my 8 yr old granddaughter for 4 days and she is still bragging about it. This is the "lowest stress" vacation ever. The owner, Larry, has certainly missed his calling. His campfire stories about cowboys, cattle driver, and the coming of the railroad were incredible. He had both old and the very young hanging on his every word. Accomodations were great and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. They all make you feel like family. The only change I would make would be to go in early spring, fall, or even winter. Lived in Texas all my life, but still hate the heat. Thank you Larry.

• Liked — Roomy and clean
  • Disliked — No smoking in rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2008

We (2 parents, a 7 and 9 year old girl) spent four nights as refugees from the Canadian winter.

Very relaxing ... we settled into a rhythm of "eat, ride, swim" that worked well for us.

If you're planning on going, check that Larry (owner) will be there ... his magical campfire stories and patient riding lessons were essential to the experience.

The warm indoor pool was a big plus, the horses were patient, the girls had a blast.

CanadaKate

• Liked — Larry's campfire stories.
  • Disliked — Noisy room heater.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I stayed there last year and have mixed feelings about it. It's 11 miles away from the nearest shop and when I arrived I was told lifts into town were no problem (for a price). These never materialised despite requests and I had to hire a car.
Good people but maybe too pre-occupied with the customers on fitness/weight loss programmes and not enough variety in the treks. Horses great but no protective equipment offered even to chilldren.
Staff more comfortable with large groups, so not ideal for single travellers to stay mid-week.
Room large, but no TV in mine and cleaned on average every 3 or 4 days.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank Julie040
london
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Hi there

Arrived at Rancho Cortez....at 9.30 pm after 24 hours of travelling from the uk.......Larry was there to meet and greet us!!!!! Well what a stay what a family what a lovely time. I have never ever been on a horse in my life and to put it bluntly i was s..... scared......but hey breakfast at 8am and on a horse by 9.30!!!!!...we went out into what i thought was a field to see how i would get on!!!! ha ha....i think not 1 hour later i had done my first trial ride!! (thankyou Chris) from then on it was riding and arena practise every day, Larry and Mary and Chris and Steph and all the rest of the staff are just the nicest people you could meet....they filled me with the confidence of.....' yes girly you can do anything you want'...it was brilliant. The cowboy stories each night around the campfire were just the icing on the cake.....thankyou Larry.......Went to Banderas for a week, brought a lifetime back with me.....i would reccommend anyone that says ' I wish I'd done that' to go and bloody do it it was such a wicked time......
thankyou rancho cortez!!!!!!!

• Liked — the originality and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nessyLondon
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I spent 2 nights with 2 friends from France, one of them being scared of riding. Larry took care of her and she became confident in a heartbeat. My other friend and myself rode one or twice before and we didn't have any problem being acustommed to the horses and the way you ride them in Texas. The entire staff was really friendly, ready to help in any case.
The cabins are wonderful, unfortunately we didn't have a chance to go to the heated swimming pool, too busy for it.
If I decide to go any other time, I will definitely go there. And I will. I highly recomand this ranch.

• Liked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — go
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank lagadec29
Northumberland England
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Rancho Cortez is a most fantastic place for a stresss free , relaxing, happy holiday, It does not matter if you are two or eighty- two, you will have a fun time. It helps if you have a love of horses and a sense of humour. As a family we all had a really wonderful time. We hope to return again. Thank you Rancho Cortez.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
River Oak Inn & Restaurant

Been to Rancho Cortez? Share your experiences!