“One of the best meals I had all weekend!”
Review of Olde Forge Bakery Deli & Grill - CLOSED

Olde Forge Bakery Deli & Grill
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had seen mixed reviews on this place before our getaway weekend, but it was recommended to me by the owner of the place where we stayed, so I thought we should give it a shot. It was a Friday night and not very busy (neither was the town). Two of us split the chicken fried steak and a third person had his own. It had a tasty, crispy coating and the meat was easy to cut/ eat unlike at some places -- tasty too! The cream gravy was just right, as were all of our sides and salads. Everything was very affordable (gotta love country prices!) w/ my friend getting a wine margarita for 50 cents!! Everything at the bakery counter looked appealing too. My husband had a generous piece of iced banana bread which he liked very much. Our waitress was friendly, attentive, and did a great job of taking care of us. After we left Bandera, I kept thinking about how delicious my meal was there that night and was happy we had decided to check it out.

1  Thank AlisaT63

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled in her on accident and was amazed at how great the food was. I had the veggie burger fully expecting it to be horrible, but it wasn't. It was amazing. Reminded me of my days as a meet eater. The fries were also AMAZING. I'm a huge French Fry fan too, so that's saying a lot. Only negative was a ho hum beer selection.

1  Thank JasonGanzer
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The ice tea was just nasty. I had the catfish, it tasted like it came from a TV dinnner only it had far too much doughy tasting batter on it. They had plenty of staff, yet I watched a party of 4 wait 15 minutes before anyone even approached them. I loved the atmosphere. In the end, I paid 35 dollars for 2 meals that I had to wait almost an hour for. Sorry to say I won't recommend or won't be back.

1  Thank briarnold
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were very eager to try this new place on a trip to Bandera but my stomach was not a happy camper after we left. We were greeted promptly by friendly staff and restaurant has great country decor for the area and plenty of seating. It was lunch hour and the place filled up quickly. We were told they had been open for almost two months. The menu has a good variety of food choices and we ordered a burger and pulled pork sliders (4 mini size) with fries. These were priced around $7.95 each. While we waited our waitress suggested we check out the fresh bakery and introduced us to the baker. So I checked it out and found they had lots of pastries, cakes and pies but just as I was about to decide on getting something I noticed the apple pie had mold growing on it. I discretely pointed this out to the waitress and she quickly took the pie out and said it was freshly baked the day before. It only had one slice out of it. That kinda deterred me from dessert. So when the meal came I was hoping it would be worth the wait but it was not. The fries are with the skin on and were somewhat soggy and the first bite of the pulled pork had an odd taste to it of greasy fat or old. I hate to say I had to take the other 3 home to our dog as I did not want to waste them and neither of us could get past the odd taste. The burger was a burger of good size. The slaw was acceptable but could not mask the taste of the odd taste of the pork. Maybe we caught the cook on a bad day but not sure we will return. I would have given a mark of two but the restaurant itself was clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. Obviously the other review on the pulled pork either had a different batch or taste buds:) I hope the place succeeds as it is in a good location but I definitely would not get the pork again!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Absolutely amazing food. Stopped by on a road trip out of San Antonio this morning. Pulled pork sandwich topped with an incredible cole slaw and a chicken fried steak sandwich that put my husband into a coma for the rest of the day!! A must visit eatery for any drive through the Texas Hill Country!!!