Hill Country Equestrian Lodge
Best Western Boerne Inn & Suites(Boerne)(Great Value!)
$81
Executive Inn(Comfort)
$54
$59
Hampton Inn and Suites Boerne(Boerne)(Great Value!)
$99
$85
Motel 6 Boerne(Boerne)(Great Value!)
$66
$59
Motel 6
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Boerne(Boerne)(Great Value!)
$119
No availability for your dates from our partners
Bandera Lodge(Bandera)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe barnhill countrystate parkhorses grazingfront porchgreat teachernature preservetrail ridingget awaylearning experienceriding skillswell trained horsesturkey baconvisited hillfire ringpeaceful surroundingsyear old daughter
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a 2 night stay Hill Country Equestrian Lodge and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. It was a perfect getaway as we love the outdoors and quiet, secluded places. Our cabin was clean and comfortable and stocked with quite the choice of breakfast items. Our stay was a refreshing change of pace as we have spent time at guest ranches riding in a string with too many riders. Here at the Lodge, we received very attentive and individualized instruction in lessons and on the trail. Dianne gave us wonderful hints and teaching on becoming better riders and being in tune with your horse. Our trails rides took us to beautiful and scenic overlooks of the Texas Hill Country. This is definitely a place we would come back to enjoy horses and nature!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Wow, this was such a disappointment, I don't even know where to start.
Location: this is a little further than 10 miles from Bandera, so going out to eat or for groceries will take some time. However, it feels very secluded and we were able to look at the stars.
Checking in: there is a sign that tells you to stop by a house to get your keys. I step onto the porch, I see a couple of doors. All of them were locked. I felt kind of stupid not knowing what to do besides waiting.
Cabin: being a party of 6 with young children, we rented the biggest cabin with a suite attached. The exterior was very nice. The living room with the fireplace was nice, but small. Now, this is where it gets really bad. I got into one of the bedrooms and leaves my purse by the bedside, I see a dead bug and dust on the headboard. Yuck! How can you not see that when making the bed?! The table itself was very dusty and the window sills were nasty and no words could describe them.
I go to drop off my kids luggage in their room in the back, more dead bugs, this time, on the bed. Oh, and as I want to undo the bed to let the sheets breathe outside, I see the sheets have white stains everywhere including on the pillow covers. Not the ones you may be thinking, more like dried toothpaste, but anyway, not something I want to think about. I was beyond disgusted. My husband saw that too and wasn't exactly pleased. Horrible stains on the bathroom walls and ceiling. Wondering what brown substance could have made it that high? Taking a deep breath, and unloading groceries into the fridge. The butter spray is way past its date, the other one in the other fridge ( suite) has no date on it anymore. Coffee and tea selection is ridiculous. A cheap assortment to say the least. Honey has crystallized and not going down. Dishes and utensils were dirty, mismatched, so cheap, the forks were bending when eating steak.
As my friends were still unloading their car, I go in their suite, the sheets are dirty as well.
Riding: we are told to show up at 9:30. We waited for them to get the horses ready for 1 hour. Yes, we are supposed to chill in the Hill Country, but watching someone get ready isn't my definition of fun. Dianne was not very talkative during our ride. Sharon on the other hand was very friendly, she chatted with us about the horses. She was one of the very few positives about this place.

We paid more than $300/ night for this and I was embarrassed for my guests with us.
If this is #1, I am quite scared of what the other places look like.
Country should not be an excuse for dirt. I do not understand the reviews which say it's a clean place. Or housekeeping is inconsistent. In the end, I do not care anymore, I will NEVER go back there and I am not recommending this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank First_time_in_Venice
JustMeBandera_TX, Owner at Hill Country Equestrian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

This reviewer did not visit our ranch as stated. We had no parties of 6 in the accommodation she references in the past 8 months, nor anyone from Hartford, CN in at least that length of time. (I have not had time to research further back than that.) We also do not have a staff member named Sharon, as she references that we do. I am not sure when or if she visited us, or if it was a long time ago, why she is just now writing this review. If I can identify who this person is and when she visited our ranch, I will respond to the review accordingly.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I went as a birthday trip for me. We had a great time despite the very (unusual) cold weather, but still managed to get in a couple of trail rides and a lesson or two. The lesson was fun and I learned quite a bit (beginner just really getting started). Shannon works as one of the trainers, she was fun, funny, and really got me doing far more than I thought I was capable of. Diane and Peter were great, Diane works tirelessly at making you a better horse person and Peter made wonderful dinners. The property and cabins were wonderful, and the trail rides were through some of the most beautiful views in Texas. We are already planning at least one more trip to hone our skills and participate in a skills clinic. Be aware there is no internet or phone service...this is great if you are not totally dependent on your technology, but can be a bit of a struggle if, like us, you spend more time on the computer than you would like to admit.

Room Tip: The cabins are cute and clean, we had a fireplace in the Windmill cabin and we used it every day. Plenty of room for two couples if you get along.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Hill Country Equestrian Lodge for a short week in January 2014 and had the time of our lives. The accommodations are excellent. Dianne Lindig is an amazing instructor and we learned so much about caring for horses, riding with more balance and being in tune with the horse. The horses are very well trained and accomplished -- and sweet. The location in the hills of Texas is beautiful and right next door to a state park just perfect for long rides. We had a delightful time and home to return many times. We felt so pampered and well-cared for. Dianne and her husband Peter are perfect hosts for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank DDavenport
JustMeBandera_TX, Owner at Hill Country Equestrian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you so much for your great review! Thanks especially for giving our wonderful horses the credit they so well deserve. You and Sam were a total pleasure to teach and to work with, and it was a total pleasure for Peter and me to serve you. We can't wait to see you again! Take care- Dianne at HCEL

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a clean, well-managed and friendly equestrian property. I went after reading the rave reviews here. The only caveat I have is if you are going with a spouse or with an entire family, and if one member (picture: recalcitrant teen) doesn't want to ride or hike, they would be utterly bored because Wifi and cellphone access is almost negligible. You are really out in the rural countryside. So I would well advise you to leave that person or persons behind.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JJELLISON

Dear Travelers and Readers, Please notice that the review to which I am responding is more about the reviewer being unhappy with the person that he or she brought with them, than it is about what our ranch has to offer. Please also note the Dec. 5 review, "Not Only For Equestrians",Thanks- Dianne at HCEL