“1st trip to Bandera”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Hill Country Equestrian Lodge
Alvin, Texas
“1st trip to Bandera”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hill Country Equestrian Lodge was great. The owner and staff were very friendly and warm. The cabin suite we stayed in was very clean and comfortable. The view from our front porch was great. Unfortunately the weather was not in our favor and we did not get to ride as much as we like due to rain but we would go back and visit again. Bandera downtown iis very close and we enjoyed shopping while it was raining.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Peter and Dianne are awesome host. My wife and I went for our 20th anniversary. They made us feel so welcomed. They are both hard working country people. Peter grilled us an awesome steak for our anniversary dinner and we ate in the dining room of the 100 year old ranch house. We brought our horses, the stalls were always clean and well ventilated. Our cabin was so neat and clean. Plenty of breakfast foods in the cabin. We relaxed in the hot tub after a ride in the hill country natural area. They have a private entrance to 6000 acres of trails. The beauty of it all is amazing, so peaceful and relaxing. One early morning drinking coffee on the front porch I enjoyed watching the wild turkey. Even though we brought our own horses, I could tell by watching Dianne that she is a very good trainer, her horses would be a pleasure to ride. We will be back Peter and Dianne!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank gapp44
Liberty Hill, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our fourth or fifth? trip to HCEL. As always, Dianne and Peter are considerate hosts. We always enjoy the peach and quiet, cooking outside on grills and inside.

Even though it rained, we had hours of riding. We take our own horses and Dianne always accommodates their special needs. They don't like stalls so she gives us one of her paddocks. One of our horses threw a shoe in the mud and Dianne let us borrow an easy boot so we could still ride on the rocks of the park.

The HCEL location is ideal for us. One can ride four days without riding much on the same trail. The park has flat areas as well as more challenging trails. We take a picnic lunch and ride for 4-5 hours some days.

Who wants to camp when there are such nice cabins so close by? And a hot tub and pool? Bandera night life is close by- Arkey Blues is a must see. We went to the 11th street Cowboy Bar for the first time. Excellent bands and a sawdust dance floor. Good people watching- real cowboys abound.

Room Tip: We prefer the Lovett, Rose or Windmill cabins. Quiet and away from the action.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Susan H
Rosharon, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We love Hill Country Equestrian Lodge. Dianne is wonderful. We brought our own horses and had to borrow Smokey from Dianne. We had a fantastic time exploring the trails. We will absolutely be going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Kufstein
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've been an English rider for many years and after an accident wanted to start riding again. I am so glad that I chose HCEL for this as Dianne, Shannon and Cora as well as the wonderfully trained and responsive horses made it feel so easy. I was my first time in Texas and my first time on a ranch and I am definitely are coming back. From being to end a perfectly well organised trip, ranch experience and time. The unique setting, the peaceful surroundings and Dianne and Peter...all I could have wished for! Ans by the way: the trail riders are fun :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Simone T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed in May 2013 for 3 nights. We had originally planned to stay for 2 nights but extended the stay once we arrived. As novice horse riders, we had not planned to trek for hours for the mountains but thoroughly enjoyed it. You could do as much or as little as you wanted. Shannon & Adrian were great company and Diane was a great host. The Bandera gun club is just up the road and also worth a visit if you would like to play with an Uzi. A trip which will be remembered for a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JustMeBandera_TX, Owner at Hill Country Equestrian Lodge, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
We're so thrilled that we could be a part of your trip to "the States". So happy that you both took to riding like ducks to water! We know it's a long hop across "the Pond", but we do hope we get to see you again ! Please say hello to your parents fo us, as well. Your friends in Texas- Dianne and Peter, Shannon and Adrian, at HCEL
Freeville, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2013

After vacationing at a dude ranch in Wyoming last year, I was looking for a horseback riding vacation where I could actually "ride" the horse, not just sit on an unresponsive, bored animal who follows the tail of the one ahead. Hill Country Equestrian Lodge was the perfect place for my vacation this year. I did their "Whole Horsemanship Clinic" and learned soooo much in 5 days. The problem now is trying to remember everything I learned and apply it to the riding I do at home, which is why I bought their Whole Horsemanship DVDs. Dianne is an excellent teacher, firm when she needs to be and praising when you do things right. She knows what she wants to get across and how to present it efficiently so you learn fast. In the afternoons we took 2 hour+ trail rides in the gorgeous TX hill country and she gave us riding tips along the way. It was May and many of the wildflowers were in bloom. I love nature and wildlife so I was delighted to see the jack rabbits, wild turkeys, and deer (didn't encounter an armadillo but maybe next year). As a bird watcher from the northeast, I was thrilled to see the vermilion flycatcher that hangs around the barn every morning. Peter and Dianne are gracious hosts. Food at the lodge was simple but nicely presented and very yummy. The dining room is in the original ranch house, which is their home, so you feel like you are dining with good friends. On a couple of evenings we took in the "cowboy" ambiance of Bandera. My only disappointment was that I didn't get to Bandera's Cowboy Store to buy a western belt with lots of bling (they close early). All in all, it was a GREAT week and I hope to return. Thank you Dianne, Peter and Trace (the gentle, handsome horse I rode all week) for so much fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

2 Thank Dianne B
Dianne- Thank you for your kind words. It makes what we do worthwhile, when we can bring enjoyment to people such as you. It was my pleasure teaching you, and please let me know if I can be of further help. We surely hope to see you again. We will stay in touch, for sure. Your friends at HCEL- Dianne and Peter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Medina Lake RV Campground
Medina Lake RV Campground
#1 of 2 in Lakehills
River Oak Inn & Restaurant

Been to Hill Country Equestrian Lodge? Share your experiences!