“Awesome”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Hill Country Equestrian Lodge
Rosharon, Texas
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We love Hill Country Equestrian Lodge. Dianne is wonderful. We brought our own horses and had to borrow Smokey from Dianne. We had a fantastic time exploring the trails. We will absolutely be going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Kufstein
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've been an English rider for many years and after an accident wanted to start riding again. I am so glad that I chose HCEL for this as Dianne, Shannon and Cora as well as the wonderfully trained and responsive horses made it feel so easy. I was my first time in Texas and my first time on a ranch and I am definitely are coming back. From being to end a perfectly well organised trip, ranch experience and time. The unique setting, the peaceful surroundings and Dianne and Peter...all I could have wished for! Ans by the way: the trail riders are fun :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Simone T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed in May 2013 for 3 nights. We had originally planned to stay for 2 nights but extended the stay once we arrived. As novice horse riders, we had not planned to trek for hours for the mountains but thoroughly enjoyed it. You could do as much or as little as you wanted. Shannon & Adrian were great company and Diane was a great host. The Bandera gun club is just up the road and also worth a visit if you would like to play with an Uzi. A trip which will be remembered for a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JustMeBandera_TX, Owner at Hill Country Equestrian Lodge, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
We're so thrilled that we could be a part of your trip to "the States". So happy that you both took to riding like ducks to water! We know it's a long hop across "the Pond", but we do hope we get to see you again ! Please say hello to your parents fo us, as well. Your friends in Texas- Dianne and Peter, Shannon and Adrian, at HCEL
Freeville, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2013

After vacationing at a dude ranch in Wyoming last year, I was looking for a horseback riding vacation where I could actually "ride" the horse, not just sit on an unresponsive, bored animal who follows the tail of the one ahead. Hill Country Equestrian Lodge was the perfect place for my vacation this year. I did their "Whole Horsemanship Clinic" and learned soooo much in 5 days. The problem now is trying to remember everything I learned and apply it to the riding I do at home, which is why I bought their Whole Horsemanship DVDs. Dianne is an excellent teacher, firm when she needs to be and praising when you do things right. She knows what she wants to get across and how to present it efficiently so you learn fast. In the afternoons we took 2 hour+ trail rides in the gorgeous TX hill country and she gave us riding tips along the way. It was May and many of the wildflowers were in bloom. I love nature and wildlife so I was delighted to see the jack rabbits, wild turkeys, and deer (didn't encounter an armadillo but maybe next year). As a bird watcher from the northeast, I was thrilled to see the vermilion flycatcher that hangs around the barn every morning. Peter and Dianne are gracious hosts. Food at the lodge was simple but nicely presented and very yummy. The dining room is in the original ranch house, which is their home, so you feel like you are dining with good friends. On a couple of evenings we took in the "cowboy" ambiance of Bandera. My only disappointment was that I didn't get to Bandera's Cowboy Store to buy a western belt with lots of bling (they close early). All in all, it was a GREAT week and I hope to return. Thank you Dianne, Peter and Trace (the gentle, handsome horse I rode all week) for so much fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Dianne B
Dianne- Thank you for your kind words. It makes what we do worthwhile, when we can bring enjoyment to people such as you. It was my pleasure teaching you, and please let me know if I can be of further help. We surely hope to see you again. We will stay in touch, for sure. Your friends at HCEL- Dianne and Peter
Mexico City
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My kids any I stayed at HCEL in April this year. My 10 year old daughter and I are both avid english riders and we were looking for a place where we could be introduced to reining. I'm so glad we found Diane, the owner. She is excellent at coaching riders to use their bodies to help horses do their jobs properly. In two intense lessons, she got us to execute our very first complete reining pattern! We had huge fun learning a new riding style on her very well trained and sensitive horses Molly and Socks. On the trails, Shannon, our guide, was a great confidence builder for my son and shared a wealth of information about the region.
HCEL is a place where both beginners and advanced riders can have fun and learn.
The setting is wonderfully quiet and beautiful with animals domestic and wild all around.
Peter and Diane are great hosts, we had dinner at their table one evening with nice food and great conversation. If you stay, get a CD of Peter's music, we really enjoyed listening to it on the rest of our road trip through Hill Country.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
You and your daughter did a great job in your lessons, and it was so nice to see your son take an interest in riding, as well. It's our pleasure to serve you, and we hope to see you back again, although I know it's quite a distance for you to travel. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to let us share our ranch with you. Dianne at HCEL
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2013

So, another wonderful weekend at the Hill Country Equestrian Lodge! This time we brought my son and his family and we stayed in the big cabin where we had more than enough room for the 5 of us, including two kitchens and 4 bedrooms. Weather was perfect for April and so were the grounds. We had a great time AGAIN.

Saw a lot more wildlife this trip with tons of wild turkeys, deer, rabbits, coyotes, and other South Texas critters.

Thanks to "Mo" and Shannon for their great horsemanship and patience with us. My grandson loved it as much as we did and they were the main reason why. Thanks again girls.

Room Tip: Talk with Diane or Peter before booking and they can help you decide which cabin is best (though the...