“Highly recommended, Great visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Hill Country Equestrian Lodge
“Highly recommended, Great visit”
Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

My 13 year old daughter and I just spent 6 days at HCEL. She rides regulary, and I have not ridden since 1977. The fact that both of us had a fabulous experience says a lot about Dianne Lindig, her staff, her program and her facility. The Lodge is in the hills north of San Antonio, adjacent to a gigantic state park, and between the topography, wildflowers, big sky and understated, rustic elegance of the Lodge, it is hard to imagine a better setting for a total-immersion riding/learning experience. The accomodations (we stayed in a small but comfortable suite, which is half of a cabin) are charming, efficient, rustic and understated. If you are expecting the Four Seasons, with indulgent papmpering and extravangant touches, look elswhere. But if you like comfort and ease, and big bedroom windows that look out on blinding stars at night, these are your kind of digs. We elected to grocery-shop in town and cook most of our own meals in the small kitchen (our cabin had a picnic table outside that we used a lot), but the Lodge offers lunch and dinner in the main house for a an extra charge. I cannot comment on that since we didn't do it. We did enjoy a few meals in Bandera, as well as a fun and informative Frontier Museum visit.

Dianne and her staff are skilled, compassionate and dedicated to making sure that both rider and horse are safe and have a good experience. I had two lessons in the ring but the rest of my riding was on the trail. My daughter spent more time on formal instruction and made a lot of progress with Dianne's firm and encouraging direction. We also both pitched in getting the horses ready to go out, and cleaned up when they got in, and that enhanced my appreciation of them as creatures and of the sport.

I agree with all of the five-star reviews on this site, and I think the two folks who gave HCEL a thumbs-down were likely expecting something very different. The Lodge's website is, IMO, accurate and informative, and Dianne not only chatted with me on the phone several times in advance to answer questions, but was extremely gracious in answering my daughter's emailed questions as well. My wife and two other kids do not ride (so they went elsewhere for Spring break), but we will try to convince them to join us on a return visit, since even non-riders like me cannot resist the charms of such a well-run and welcoming place. I enthusiastically recommend Hill Country Equestrian Lodge.

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We came on recommandation from close familiy and we were not disappointed ! Beautifull landscape and great riding. We ride most days at home english style and wanted to experience western riding in an authentic setting and all our expectations were fulfilled. Great horses willing and listening to the rider. Every minut was a pleasure even though the weather was changing over the 3 nights we spent at HCEL everything from freezing cold to warm sunshine. Acomodation is good and Dianne and Peter very friendly and helpfull (and Peter is a good chef) but you should come for the horses and the landscape if you lke riding well trained horses in a great landscape. Fancy and Molly (favorite horses) we miss you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We just got back from a family spring break trip and can't say enough great things about HC Equestrian Lodge. We've been to other places for riding vacations and our family agreed that this was our best riding vacation yet! Diane and Peter have a wonderful place. It's so peaceful and relaxing. The horses were great and well trained. My daughters who are horse riders were able to ride as much as they wanted. For the non-rider like myself, I was able to go out riding and learn how to be a better rider. They're located adjacent to Hill Country Nature Preserve so you could ride, bike, or hike next door. We brought our bikes and were able to bike next door. My husband who is avid mountain biker was able to try some of more challenging trails. The skys are so clear we had great skies for telescope watching. We stayed in the Rose cabin which was secluded in a grove of trees. It had a fully equipped kitchen with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and fireplace. There's no internet, TV or cell service (although there's wifi available in the main house) which was fine with us even with our teenagers.

Room Tip: For more peace and quiet, choose a cabin as opposed to a suite
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Hill Country Equestrian Lodge is the ideal place to go, if you want to improve your English or Western riding skills in a beautiful setting.

I have visited HCEL multiple times over the past years and enjoyed most of all, being able to work with such well-trained, subtle and gentle-mannered horses. I loved being able to take care of the horse I rode (grooming and tacking up). At home, I have been riding English since the age of six, but at HCEL I learned how to ride Western. Dianne is a very knowlegeable teacher for both styles and has a keen eye for detail. She is always friendly and patient, and her advice is helpful and easy to follow. I participated in one of Dianne's horsemanship clinics and have to say that I probably learned more in those five days than in a whole year at home.

The landscape is simply georgous and offers ample opportunities for trail riding, especially since HCEL directly borders the State Natural Area. There are a variety of picturesque trails for all skill levels. The ranch is a great place for nature-lovers and everyone who wants to take some time off to recharge their batteries. Simply sitting on the porch and enjoying the peace and quiet is wonderfully relaxing. And nothing is better than sitting in the hot tub at night, stargazing. If you want to check your email, etc. there's always the Bandera Library or the Dogleg coffee house - they both offer wireless internet.

As for entertainment and things to do - Bandera is a pretty little town that offers some touristy stores for clothes and jewellery shopping, but also small antiques' shops woth visiting. There are local bands playing in various saloons, so that you can listen to live music or do some country dancing on almost every night of the week. Don't miss Steak Night at 11th Street Cowboy Bar (on Wednesdays)!

All in all, my visits to HCEL have never left anything to desire. I have many fond memories of Dianne and Peter's hostpitality and feel homesick, whenever I think about their horsey heaven on earth.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank CSGermany
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Hill Country Equestrian Lodge is the place to go for REAL riding! Makes my horses at home seem like poorly trained brats- Diane's horses are responsive, well trained, safe, and simply wonderful! She has a unique approach to riding that she generously shared. Just when I thought I knew it all about horses, I rode with Diane and learned all kinds of new things, what a pleasure.
The accommodations were perfect, the service A+, and the experience as a whole ranks as one of my best vacations ever. I have worked at dude ranches across the northwest, but this place is no dude ranch- its an equine resort! The focus is on the horse, it's health and it's comfort- all for your pleasure. If you want to ride in untamed wilderness with little signs of human life for miles, this is the place!!! Giddy up and yee ha!

• Stayed January 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This lovely spot in the Bandera Hill Country is so beautiful and peaceful. It takes you back to the simpler times, making you feel closer to nature and farther from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Living in the city, I rarely get time to myself without the sounds of cars passing by, sirens, or people yelling outside. I come here to get away from all of these distractions, to enjoy sitting on the porches of their warm, inviting cabins enjoying a cup of coffee in peace. I am able to enjoy visiting with the other guests down at the barn while helping to groom and feed the amazing horses.
Each horse with their unique personality helps the rider to hone in on his/her Horsemanship skills while being guided by one of the talented and helpful staff members. Its great to ride with people at my same skill level, but even when I'm on a ride with mixed skill levels, it gives me a chance to go back to the basics. I am able to practice those very first steps to "whole horsemanship" that Dianne works so diligently on with each rider. The horses are all very willing, if the rider is receptive to instruction and the horse's unique needs. I love every one of them!
The rides are by far my favorite relaxation opportunity, getting to work with my horse, but at the same time enjoying being able to "Breathe" in the wide open hills and amazing scenery. There is no other place I would rather explore on horse-back. There is so much you get to enjoy that you would simply miss without the help of these beautiful creatures.
Sometimes it is necessary to get in touch with the outside world, so Dianne and Peter can help get access to internet or cell phone signal when I need it, but for the most part, I LOVE being away from the reaches of modern technology.
I have traveled to many parts of the world, but right here, a few minutes from my home in San Antonio, is my favorite place to go for a weekend away from everything. Thanks so much for this beautiful place!!

Room Tip: Ask Dianne for detail about the rooms if you want more privacy, but you really can't choose a ba...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Superb set-up. Dianne is an excellent instructor and the whole experience for my daughter and I was perfect. My husband and son played golf at nearby courses and enjoyed the local shooting range. Would strongly recommend the peace and quiet of the surroundings and the family time together.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Medina Lake RV Campground
Medina Lake RV Campground
#1 of 2 in Lakehills
River Oak Inn & Restaurant

Been to Hill Country Equestrian Lodge? Share your experiences!