“An awesome holiday - friendly people, superb food and great entertainment”
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My husband and I and our 2 best friends spent a week at the Mayan, returning to England yesterday and we are all thoroughly depressed to have finished our best holiday ever!
Throughout our trip, the staff working there not only made us feel welcome, but also made us feel part of the ranch. They couldn't do enough for us, from carrying coffee at breakfast to helping out with lifts to and from town. The daily activities at the ranch were superb. Tommy, Josh and Cody (the wranglers) were helpful, fun and friendly and we learnt loads about the texan way of life from these people as well as enjoying the horse riding! The musical entertainment was also first class, especially Reuben Darnell, who on one occasion lent us a few bucks for the jukebox and burnt us some CD's! Judy also had the patience of a saint when it came to teaching line dancing (especially to my rhythemless husband!!!!). David was also great, putting up with numerous questions from the guys and personally making sure that they had the real Texan experience!
We have all come away from the ranch with our belt buckles bulging as the food was so amazing. Seriously, we must have eaten our own body weights in meat over the week! The food was varied, fresh and plentiful and we couldn't have wished for better!
Guys at the Mayan - if you're reading this- thank you so much for a fabulous holiday! We would love to come back someday and I know the menfolk would be keen to also do some work on the ranch if you eveer needed them!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 9, 2010

My first-grade daughter and I traveled with another mom and her first-grade daughter over spring break. Our first day was a bit difficult (see below), but as the trip unfolded, we found our enjoyment of the ranch and its activities increasing, and we were sad to leave at the end of the trip.

Our first day was a bit of a problem as my daughter started crying from fear at the beginning of the trail ride and asked to be let off. Tommy (the wrangler) quickly complied and removed her from the horse, but did not come to help me off my horse so that I could stay with my daughter!! I was utterly shocked but had no way to get off my horse (we were sternly instructed to stay on our horses throughout the ride). After a long 45-minutes, we made it back to the stable where I found my daughter happily picking flowers in the nearby field. I was relieved, but still cannot believe that the cowboys didn't have the sense to keep mother and daughter together. I talked to Tommy about getting my daughter a different horse for the next ride, and to his credit he paired her with an extremely gently horse, and when she expressed fear with this new horse, he even gently urged her to give the horse a chance to prove its good nature to my daugher. After that, the wranglers made sure to pair my daughter with the same horse throughout the remainder of our stay (an additional 4 days/8 rides), and each subsequent ride was just great.

The food was really good, especially the tex-mex items, and was plentiful. They had the best salsa I have ever tasted (I'm from OH). The cowboy breakfast was a full course meal (eggs, grits, potatoes, sausage/bacon, enchiladas, coffee, and probably a few more items) all cooked over an open fire on a grill out in a clearing in the woods. Very tasty and interesting to experience.

The evening activities were enjoyable also, including Texas line dance lessons, a magic show, game night with prizes, and a bonfire with marshmallow roasting.

The staff was generally so pleasant and friendly. Staff found crayons and paper for our girls to use for coloring. Large selection of books and magazines available to borrow in the dining room/main house. Cabins were rustic although roomy. I believe the 2 beds in our cabin were doubles, not queens. Mattresses in our cabin (#66) could probably be replaced anytime...they were a bit lumpy/soft.

Was a bit taken aback when we settled our bill at the end of the trip to find an additional 10% "tip" amounting to $90 added to the final bill. I don't recall this being advertised anywhere.

Overall a great experience. Am planning to return with the whole family (husband and 3 other kids) once our children are all school-age.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank mdagia
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I loved this place - one of my most favorite vacations. The food was excellent and so much of it, the staff are great and treat everyone like family. There are plenty of activities planned each day or you can just relax and do nothing. The scenery and wildlife are amazing, It seems like you are a million miles away but really just a couple of miles from town if you want to explore the shops/nightlife. I would highly recommend the Mayan for singles/families alike.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank LL1011
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Tommy who ran the trail rides was rude and mean. On our first ride he refused to let a first time rider, a six year old girl ride with her family (once the horses started out there was to be no change in the order) By the way the family travelled there from New York. Second day one rider's horse started back briskly toward the corral at the end of the ride(as they do often) and got out of line- Tommy yelled at the rider. Tommy told a young rider to get off the horse at the end of the ride -by herself- it was her first ride, There are several good dude ranches around Bandera- Try one of others until Tommy gets another job or adopts a Texas friendly attitude. Yes riding horses requires caution-Not rudeness... mike

• Stayed: April 2010
5  Thank mikeparker
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Our family loved everything about our stay at the ranch; our cabin, the staff, guests we met, the activities, horse riding and food! The location is totally relaxing and enjoyable. Our girls (9 and 11) were in heaven. The pool is huge and inviting. The landscape and trails are beautiful. It was wonderful that everything was all-inclusive -- the daily newsletter provided all the information to keep us all entertained throughout the day! We also appreciated the singers, longhorn, buffalo and entertainment provided daily...both educational and enjoyable! The family and staff at the Mayan are top notch -- we look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My husband and i stopped here for 3 nights in September. We were doing a mini tour and had stayed at Dallas and San Antonio before we arrived, our next stop was Memphis and then Miami.
When we got here, we just didn't want to leave and were loath to continue our tour. The hospitality and friendliness were above anything that we had experienced. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and will be going back next year.
(We did enjoy the remainder of our holiday as well, but would gladly have stayed longer at the ranch.)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife suggested we go to a Bandera Dude Ranch back in 1993. Being from Houston and growing up in the Texas Hill Country I was not interested. However, we went and had an amazing time. Our children ages 2 and 7 at the time were in kid heaven. We were so enamoured by the family that operates the Mayan (the Hicks family) , the food, the casual and evening entertainment , the twice weekly "musicals"and even the hokey things like cowboy bingo that we decided then and there it would become a family tradition. We even moved to Kerrville TExas, only 30 minutes away and we still went for our one week stay when we lived there! 2008 MARKED THE END OF 15 STRAIGHT YEARS. Now that all kids are in college or beyond, we do not go for the full week like we used to, however, one daughter continues to go during our 'regular week" to see old friends and families. That is one of the features that makes the experience, families tend to go the same week every year so the children grow up together and the adults start looking oldex ......you know.

This is a must experience for any family that likes to relax and enjoys the outdoors.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Days Inn Boerne
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Joshua Creek Ranch
Joshua Creek Ranch
#5 of 11 in Boerne

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!