“Frank review - best bits and not so best bits”
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

Mayan Dude Ranch
UK
“Frank review - best bits and not so best bits”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

This was certainly an experience not to be missed by anyone travelling in the area and wanting to experience a taste of the cowboy ranch life. We had a wonderful time but the accommodation let it down. We booked two lodges (not cheap), one was ok but the other one (Lodge No. 3) was a disappointment. It was so dirty that even a cowboy would have a problem staying there. It was dingy and dark with curtains pulled over the windows that covered a multitude of sins. When I tried to open one of the curtains the whole rail fell down! The cover on the bed looked uninviting; and although the sheets seemed clean the towels had seen much better days. I made the mistake of peering down the back of the bed to find more cobwebs and dirt than you would think possible after 20 years! After that, we stayed awake all night wondering what might crawl up from under the bed. On our first night, I wandered into the bathroom and was confronted with a scorpion. Well, ok we're British, and the worst thing that we encounter is the odd over large spider or bumble bee, so we are a bit wimpey I guess. Anyway, sleep was impossible on that night as we didn't know how dangerous or how many scorpions were going to invade. Pity really because it was so quiet and peaceful on a night time. We got another shock the next day when we were confronted with a snake curled up on the front door. Now there are no phones in these lodges so you can't just ring reception and ask what do we do you just have to sit it out. Maybe the ranch should advise on such things? This particular lodge just needed a serious clean as the other lodge was not wonderful but ok and what you would probably expect from a dude ranch.

Now that I've got the down side off my chest I'll focus on the pluses (and there were many). The family run ranch provided great food and entertainment and nothing was too much trouble. Randy (The CEO) was a great guy and made us feel so welcome that we felt part of the family. Cold beer flowed continuously throughout the day and night (all part of the package). We enjoyed a Mexican night but even more so enjoyed the Wild West evening and the dancing. The food is lovingly prepared and presented by the family but as most of the eating is outdoors there was lots of flies which did put me off a bit (hazard of cowboy life). The riding was a great experience but don't get any ideas that you are going to ride off into the sunset like Butch Cassidy - it's all very restricted, regulated and slow. Mind you, in temperatures of over 100 degrees you wouldn't want to go at a racing pace let alone push the horses any faster than a dobin speed. The breakfast horse ride or the hayride (for those who don't want to ride horseback) was fab leading to breakfast cooking away on an open grill, enjoying the passing deer and the cowboy countryside.

The pool back at the ranch is a good size and there's always something going on so you won't be bored. You just need to remember that this is cowboy Texas, dusty and raw. Don't take any decent clothing with you because it will just be ruined. Trainers/boots, shorts and jeans that's all. Be prepared to rough-it and get your shoes dirty!

The weather was so hot that the river had dried up so there was not chance of tubbing down the river but that would have been fun had it been possible.

It’s such a pity the lodge let it down for us but we wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank FizzUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I took my husband here on the weekend of June 5-7, 2009 for a getaway and to celebrate his birthday. My husband had not ridden a horse in years and I wanted to surprise him with an outdoor adventure.

Our overall experience at the Mayan Dude Ranch was disappointing especially for the cost: $150 per adult per night.

Positives:
1. Pool - Large and well kept. Sparking blue water.
2. Horses - They seem to be treated very well and are very gentle. While the rides are single file and slow, it was fun.
3. Hayride - Taking the hayride to breakfast gives you a nice tour of the property and a chance to view some of the wildlife.
4. Food - While not 4 star quality, I thought the meals were of good variety and substance.

Negatives:
1. Room - We stayed in Unit 9. While clean, the room left a lot to be desired - especially in the bathroom. Uncomfortable bed, thin small towels, no light in the shower, low water pressure, no shampoo or conditioner left for guests, TV only got 1 English speaking channel.
2. Staff - Hit or miss. We had some staff that acted like it was a hassle to answer our questions or were bothered when we asked for ice (although we were told in our welcome letter we could get it anytime from 2 different locations)
3. Daily Itinerary - Every morning we were given a sheet with meal and activity times. But good luck reading it - it is jam packed with details. Too many! In fact my husband and I missed that there was a afternoon horse ride as we couldn't digest all the information. Talk about a bummer as that was the main reason I chose this place!
4. Entertainment - The last night they put on a 'show' in the lodge. While some of the acts were entertaining it was extremely long.
5. Professionalism - While the older generation of the Hicks family seem keen on operating a good business, their youth do not. On the last night we were there after the 'big' show, most of the grandchildren were getting drinks from the saloon and drinking/ smoking on the front porch in front of guests:
1. Some of them were underage
2. Some of them were arguing
3. Most of them left in their cars to continue drinking at a local bar in their cars (drinking + driving).
While maybe some folks don't mind this behavior, I found it extremely unprofessional and a mockery to advertise the ranch as 'family friendly' and then allow their own children to drink/smoke/air personal laundry in front of guests. It left a 'trashy' taste in my mouth.

I really don't know that I would ever visit this place again. I feel like there are many other places I would rather spend my time and money on.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank melsadieg
Sugar Land
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Our family of six (kids ages 6-12) just got back from a wonderful 3 day vacation at the Mayan. Our daughters very much wanted to ride horses, and with the Hill country location & excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to come. There is so much to cover, so I'll break my review down:
1. Rooms--we stayed in adjoining units 29 & 30, the Chaparral cabin--one unit had one BR, one bath, and a sitting area with a fireplace, sofa, two rocking chairs, and two coffee tables. the other had two separate BR, one with a double, the other with two double beds, a bathroom, and a sitting area with a small table with two chairs, and a bar area with two chairs and two stools. Each unit had a "Texan decor", a TV (which we never turned on), and plenty of dresser space. there were no closets, but there was a small "hanging rod" with hangers that we hung our windbreakers on. Outside we had a private driveway, covered patio, porch swing, wooden park bench, and two rocking chairs. Our kids enjoyed hanging out outside and watching the deer. We liked our rooms. They were comfortable & spacious, and we spent part of two afternoons there due to short summer thunderstorms.
2. Food--great food & lots of it! No, they are not big city five star restaurant meals, but they are quite delicious, and everyone should be able to find something they like.
Breakfast--each day you can choose between the outdoor cowboy breakfast or the dining room breakfast. We did the cowboy thing the first two mornings--you either take a hayride down to it, or some days they offer a horseback option (which we did not do since you just get one morning ride). The hayride is lots of fun since you get to see plenty of deer and other wildlife on the way down. Biscuits, gravy, grits, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and two other hot dishes (beans, rice, and a delicious ham/bell pepper sautee), are served along with coffee, apple juice, water and OJ. A guitar-playing cowboy sings country songs. Lots of fun, especially on a cool morning. You should do it at least once. On our final day we ate at the dining room, which has more flexible times and more choices-eggs any way (including omelets), sausage, bacon, pancakes, toast, fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, coffee, tea, and more juice choices. Service was great & quick!
Lunch--different choices each day, and included on the day of check-out--our first day we had a choice of chicken fajita tacos with flour tortillas and all the trimmings(including a very good pico de gallo), beef tacos on corn tortilla shells, pork tamales, beef & cheese enchiladas, fruit tray, and yummy homemade chocolate cookies with a coconut filling. Our second day we had meat loaf, pork loin, mac & cheese, lots of salad & veggie sides, and strawberry shortcake. Our last day we had fried chicken (very tasty--we don't typically eat fried chicken, but my health-conscious husband tried some and loved it), spaghetti with meat sauce, broccoli & cheese casserole, lots of veggies and salads, and chocolate cake. some lunches were indoors & others were under the shaded & ventilated pavilion.
Evening appetizers--offered under the pavilion from 545-645 nightly--at least two different ones each night--egg rolls, chicken nuggets, fried cauliflower, veggie trays, tortilla chips, and potato/cheese cakes, all with sauces or dips.
Dinner--our first night we took a hayride to an outdoor gazebo for a delicious BBQ--brisket, pork ribs, sausage, lots of salads & coleslaw, homemade sliced white bread, and blondies. The second night was under the pavilion--steak & potatoes with delicious sauteed mushrooms, salad, asparagus, & spice cake. Our last night was turkey, beef fajitas with fixins, beef tacos, an "assemble your own" mexican salad, flour tortillas, and pecan pie. There is live country music at every dinner.
Drinks--cold water, tea & lemonade under the pavilion from 11-10ish, with free beer & wine under the pavilion for most of the day, as well as free alcoholic drinks at dinners in other locations. There is a saloon with cocktails/liquor for an additional charge.
3. Activities--we came for the horses, and we weren't disappointed, even though one afternoon trail ride was cancelled and another shortened due to the weather. You get one morning & one afternoon ride, and usually there are four time slots to choose from. You ride single file, no helmets. Our kids were matched up with easy going horses, and sometimes got to ride the same horse again. Each trail was different, and the scenery was great! Once we rode by some dinosaur tracks. You can brush the horses outside of the corral if you wish. The ranch has lots of trails to wander around, plus you can walk to the Medina river to swim or fish (supplies and bait are provided). There is a nice outdoor pool with a covered deck, shuffle board, a basketball court, a volleyball court, horseshoes, two ping-pong tables, and a pool table. Each morning there is group activity offered--roping, fishing, and bb gun shooting were our choices, and they were lots of fun. Each evening at 545 some form of western entertainment is offered--first night was meeting a large steer, 2nd was an excellent trick-roper who added plenty of audience participation to his act, and 3rd was a very interesting "Wild Bill" history lecturer who brought replicas of many Western weapons (my oldest son's favorite). Each night at 8pm there is an additional activity--western music, an evening wildlife hayride, and country dancing lessons were our choices--there was s'mores campfire and "hicksville" campsite visit offered the evening we checked out.
4. The staff--the Hicks family has been in the dude ranch business for over 50 years, and they love what they do. we got to meet many members who either led the activities, served meals, or just hung out. Check out their beautiful pictorial family tree by the main office.
5. Other guests--there was an exchange club convention during part of our stay. We enjoyed getting to know folks, and our kids loved new playmates. On our second day at least 5 families from the UK arrived, most of them repeat visitors. There were several grandparents who had come with their kids in the past, coming this time with their grandkids.

To sum things up, this vacation is not cheap, but given all the activities, food, drinks, and entertainment included, it is a very good value! You don't need to go anywhere else or bring anything except clothes, sunscreen, bug spray, & a flashlight (to wander around at night). We will definitely come back, and try to bring friends or family next time!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed April 6, 2009

After much contemplation we decided on the Mayan Ranch for spring break this year. We have 2 boys ages 16 and 10. It seemed like their facilities would have something to please both of them and we were right.

FRI

Arrived around 3, checked in and chose the time for our afternoon ride. While we were there, we went ahead and signed up for the 8:30 am ride Sat, which would take us to the outdoor cowboy breakfast.

We grab our keys and head to our cottage. It large with a covered patio and lots of tree's. A peacock and rooster enjoy playing in our front yard. All though our rooms are under the same roof, the boys have a separate key and door to enter their room. This made them feel like the were "older", yet they were still close enough to mom and dad that we could keep an eye and them. Mine and hubbys room was rustic with Hill Country flair, and even included a fireplace. Kids room was larger with a open feel. Both rooms meet our seal of approval.

After unpacking the kids change into their swim trunks and we start exploring. First to the outdoor pavilion where we find they serve free beer, wine and sodas each day till 10pm. Have to say, it made the hubby and I pretty happy to hear that. The pool is next door. Very pretty with a waterfall. And next to that the volleyball and basketball courts. Next we head down to the river, just a short walk away. The water is beautiful, and the boys loved the rope swing.

Next we headed off to the corrals for a short horseback ride. The scenery is great, and I cant believe how many deer we see!

After we get back, we head to the pavilion to cool off with a drink, and notice they have some pre dinner snacks out. We grab a few, and head to the room to get ready for dinner. We pile onto hay covered trailer where we are taken to "Hicksville" for dinner. (Its a faux western town, really cute). this is where we find out that the Hicks family knows how to cook a mean meal!!!! Steaks bigger than my head, homemade rolls, numerous salads, green beans, corn, baked potatoes, cobbler and ice cream. they also had a live "cowboy crooner" singing old cowboys classics, and a baby buffalo for the kids to learn about.

Now that we are stuffed we head back to the pavilion to meet some new friends and wash down dinner with a few beers. The kids had a great time at the majic show, then roaming the property, and playing basketball and billiards'. Around 10, we went into the onsite saloon for a Bloody Mary then headed back to the room.

SAT

We are awakened at 7:30 with fresh coffee and juice delivered to our door, along with the days itinerary. AM delivery is optional, and you don't have to follow the itinerary. They just want you to know your options for the day.

We get dressed and head to the corrals for our morning ride to breakfast. You also have the option to eat in the dinning room, or take a hayride to the cowboy breakfast. The ride was peaceful, and our guide told us allot of stories about the history of the property. When we arrive at breakfast I cant believe my eyes. The biggest cast iron skillets I've ever seen cooking on an open flame. The choices were endless. Eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, beans, gravy, hashbrowns, sautéed onions and mushrooms, biscuits, tortillas, homemade salsa. How in the world am I gonna ride a horse after this?

After we get back to camp, the kids take off to play with the kids they'de met the night before, and hubby and I settle back in bed for a nap. Around 11 we head to the pavilion where they have a live longhorn on display...saddle and all. I get a great pic of my 10 year old on it.

Lunch is another cornucopia of goodness. Pastas galore, pizza, and tons of hearty vegetables and salad. When we had our fill, we head down with the kids to spend a little time at the river. So peaceful down there. Then its back to the corral for another ride. This time the trailboss take us down by the river. This is our 3rd ride, and each time the trail we took was different... which is cool.

After the ride, the kids hit the pool, and we watch them from the pavilion with a glass of wine. We met another couple that lives near us. Come to find out they know all my husband family, small world. Our kids and their kids hit it off as well.

Bout the time our tummy's start to rumble, like clockwork the Hicks family bring out the pre-dinner snacks. Today a variety of chips dips, and vegetable platters. For dinner they treated us to whole smoked turkey and more side and salads then you could shake a stick at. Man o man do these people know how to cook! That evening a dj set up in the pavilion and we had a dance. Well, hubby and I watched while everyone else danced, but still had a blast.

SUN
This time we take the hayride to breakfast. The deer are really thick today. 300 or more. Not to mention ram, goats, armadillo, and peacocks. Breakfast was a slam dunk again!

Once we get back at camp, hubby and I go for a little hike, while the kids head down to the river to fish. Then we all met back up for our final horseback ride. This time up into the mountains. I, like and idiot, did not bring my camera this time.....the views were amazing! I really kicked myself in the butt for not being able to get the shots from up on the mountainside.

After we get back, we pack up our things and head down for lunch. This time pork tenderloin, chicken fingers as big as your foot, and all the sides.

Just before we leave, we head to an area that the kids tell us about. It a covered patio off the back of the dinning room that over looks the river. WOW! I wish we had found this place earlier. I did manage to get some great pics of the 20 or so butterfly that where near us. Too cool.

We cant wait to get back! Actually thinking about doing their "yearly rate package" so we can go more often!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank radiogirltx
Northampton
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We stayed at the Mayan Dude Ranch for 5 nights in September 2008 and it proved to be a memorable stay, totally relaxing and pressure-free. We would love to go back and stay longer, it was that good!

We stayed in cabin 8, which was no more than 400 yards from the saloon and main pool & pavilion area but was totally private. Our cabin had 2 bedrooms and we slept in the one which had a feature window onto the woods... we saw deer and red squirrels in the mornings and the wild turkeys made an appearance on our last day... wonderful! The cabin itself had a living room and bathroom, with tub & shower, plus a lovely rocking bench outside where I spent a peaceful couple of hours with a book one afternoon. The cabin was very clean and towels were changed every couple of days; I guess "rustic" is a fair description but that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing, more that everything is in keeping with the feel of the ranch.

We were picked up from the airport by Greg and on the hour's drive to the ranch we were able to chat and get into the feel of our stay. Greg also took us back to San Antonio and dropped us off at the hotel... I really enjoyed our two transfers, thanks to Greg!

The ranch itself has a large pool, hot-tub, table tennis and tennis courts but the highlights are usually the two horse rides in the morning and afternoon. These were great for us as novices as the horses proceed in a single file walk but I guess serious riders would want something more exhilarating. Mike, who was usually handling the horses, tried to pair everyone with their favourite horse whenever possible and was happy to chat about the horses and the countryside in general. The rides went on different trails so were never boring and I think we all got used to the horses idiosyncracies as the week went by!

Food plays a big part too! Breakfast was either in the main building or you could ride or travel on the hay-cart down to an outdoor cowboy breakfast each morning. Thanks there to Reuben who played his guitar and sang country songs each morning, often having been our host in the saloon the night before! We shall remember Reuben with great affection after our trip!

Lunch comes long at midday at the outdoor pavillion and varied each day... accompanied by beer, wine or soft drinks from the outdoor bar which is open from 11am. Food & drink is all-inclusive, with the bar switching to the saloon from 8pm to 10pm, and a cash-bar until midnight after that. The dark beer was particularly welcome!

Dinner was usually around 6:45 and was often al-fresco, reached by hay-cart. This varied i.e. Mexican, BBQ, catfish, chicken, steaks... all with fresh salad and often lovely Bluebell ice-cream! Delicious! And it should be noted that the family always ate the same food after the guests so it kinda had to be good!

Each evening there was entertainment in the saloon bar, usually country singers, several of whom were very good, especially Dave Kemp.

During the day we were able to try BB shooting, whip-cracking, country line dancing and fishing, plus special guests came in to see us, such as a lasso expert, a man called Buffalo who brought along his bison, and a chap who talked about the Wild West. Having said that there was plenty of time to just relax which is what we did, either by the pool, up by the cabin or just lounging around with a succession of cold beers!

Bandera, by the way, is just a long mile away... we got a lift down to the town one afternoon courtesy of the ranch and walked back. It was worth going for a wander, just to look into the cowboy store and walk up & down the main street!

As we were outside of American & British school holidays there was typically 10-15 guests whilst we were there. That was a great number, especially for the horse rides, but was supplemented by a convention of Texas sherriffs and police chiefs! They appeared at mealtimes and in the evenings and were good fun, adding to the general good spirit and vibe of the place each night!

I cannot fault the Mayan ranch in any way and would like to thank all of the family and staff for making everyone so welcome and for keeping everything so relaxed and friendly. I can't mention everyone but thanks to Judy, Tracy, Kel, Tommy, Mike, Reuben, Dave and Doug, amongst others! You're doing a great job!!!

In summary, if you're looking for a ranch holiday - either with kids in the holidays or as adults in spring or autumn - then the Mayan Ranch is a great place to go!!! Absolutely A+++ excellent on all counts!!!

• Liked — The people were all fantastic and made us feel so welcome - thank you!
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all excellent!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Seamo
RhodieGirl30
Reviewed September 21, 2008

The Mayan Ranch was brilliant. I'm not going to ramble on as most things have already been said ie: fantastic food, wonderful family etc etc.
If you are looking for something a little different then give this place a go and I am sure you won't be disappointed. I went on to LA after Mayan and to be honest wished I'd stayed at the ranch!!!!

• Liked — Fantastic quiet lodges with such comfortable beds!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We were looking for some place we could meet for a family reunion when we stumbled across Mayan Dude Ranch. We had a group of 20, ages 1 to 83 from four different states.

The ranch is a great place to relax and enjoy your family. The little kids loved the activities and the teenage boys liked flirting with the Hicks girls! The adults participated in activities too, but mostly just visited, played cards and tried to stay cool. The pool area came in pretty handy for this.

The food was very good. Plenty of it and each meal was something different.

The rooms were rustic and nothing fancy. Tired bedspreads and towels, but they were comfortable and worked fine.

The Hicks family was hospitable and friendly. Very welcoming and really making you feel at home during the stay.

I think we may have been the only "first timers" while we were there. Just about everyone else had been coming at least once a year for several years - some as many as 15 years!

• Liked — Surprisingly quiet but close to town. Also, forgot to mention the Fireflys. They were fascinating!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pleasanton
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!