“As questions first” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Texas
“As questions first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

The person who disliked the insurance rule about not allowing 4 year olds to ride should have ask first. We've been going there for over twenty years and because we moved from CA to a town near Bandera we do plan on vacationing there again. Lunch ranges from fair to good for the most part but the rest of the meals are great. I always say that if you go away hungry it's your fault. I recommend that you treat yourself to the Cowboy Breakfast at least one time either on horseback or hay-wagon. We've become friends from England and we often are there at the same time. While at the Ranch you might want to visit Bandera which is only a few minutes drive from the Ranch. There are all kinds of shops but you won't run into high pressure sales people.

Room Tip: Reserve a cabin that isn't too close to the office.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FMFDOCTRIPS
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We appreciate your positive post. For decades, the Mayan Ranch has hosted a traditional cowboy breakfast in the morning, and we agree it is an activity you will not want to miss while you are with us. Waiting to greet you at our cook-out spot by the river will be a live country music singer, hot coffee brewed over our open fire, and wild west delicacies including home-made biscuits and gravy, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, and grits. We look forward to having you on our trail and at our fire again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Rosenberg, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had booked a trip to the ranch back in Oct. or so but was not able to go until January. My sister, niece, daughter, son and I traveled almost 4 hours to spend "a fun-filled weekend" at the ranch to only find out my 4 year old son was not allowed to ride the horses!! Had I know when I booked the trip we would have gone somewhere else. They specifically stated their insurance would not allow them to have a 4 year old ride the horses, even with an adult which defeated the whole purpose of us going. My son cried cause he was so sad and I felt awful knowing I had gotten him all excited about riding the horses. We checked out the very next day and headed back home. The food was delicious the night we stayed (BBQ) but the lunch was not very tasty (Fish & Ham). I got to ride the horses one time and the ride was pretty boring. No one talked at all!! In the future when people call to book a trip to this ranch with a child under the age of 6 that I hope the staff informs them about their policy. I feel as I wasted time, money and gas going there and would not go again. (The staff was aware of my childs age, they ask for everyones age to charge appropriately).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Adriana O
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
We apologize for your disappointment with our age requirement for riding. As stated on our website, children under 6 years of age are not able to participate on the trail rides. However, we know how much the little ones want to have a turn in the saddle; therefore, we do have wranglers available to lead children around the corral on the horses in a controlled and safe way. Please understand that this rule is for your child’s safety. If you would like to email us the name and address of your child, we would be happy for our head wrangler to send him a personalized letter.
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent a weekend at the Mayan Dude Ranch with 3 kids. From the moment that we arrived, there were activities taking place. Mainly small fun activities (egg toss, BB guns, hat toss, etc.), but the kids loved it. The adults also participated and it was a fun way to meet some of the other guests. It was like showing up and being part of someone's family reunion. If you wanted to be by yourself, there were plenty of options for this too. The property was very large, the pool area was beautiful and very relaxing. Regarding food... I think that many of the other reviews cover it very well. The food is fantastic and there is plenty of it. They also have quite a bit of variety. The horse rides were enjoyable and followed scenic trails. The horses were also very well behaved and handled riders of all ages and skill. The rides are the typical 'line up all horses and they slowly follow each other'. This seems normal for most guest ranches, but I would like to see some other options or variety. I also would like to see more instruction especially for the younger (less experienced) riders. The wranglers simply loaded you up and told you to hold on. I have been to other guest ranches that make the experience a bit more personal and tell you a little about the horse, and give you some tips as you prepare to ride the horse. I am sure that the wranglers would have been happy to help if asked, and the ride itself was enjoyable, but I think that they could further enhance the experience by making some minor improvements in this area.

In short, we loved our time and have since sent other people to visit. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive review and your suggestions for making the horseback rides more personal. Our horses are our main attraction at the ranch, and we do want to encourage our guests to form a bond with the four-legged members of our family. If there is a particular horse you would like to know more about, please email us with his/her name or picture at mayan@mayanranch.com , and we will do our best to provide you some additional information. Happy Trails
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days in November with my husband and we had a fantastic time. We arrived just in time for the afternoon ride, yey, no time to prepare myself for my first time on a horse!! Once I was on I was fine because its single file walking and after 10 mins or so I felt quite comfortable. Perfect for a first timer.

For our first 2 days there was just 10 of us staying on the ranch so it was much more intimate and we played games like poker darts, cards, throw the hat on the bedpost and a horseracing board game. The next couple of days a large group of 78 arrived together with people also arriving for the weekend so there was activities such as lasooing, bull whip cracking lessons, line dancing, roasting marshmallows on the fire and live music in the saloon bar. It was great to experience both ends of the spectrum and I have to say the Mayan have got the entertainment and attention to detail for the guests down to a fine art.

Our cabin was lovely and comfortable with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a lounge area and all were traditionally decorated. Housekeeping came in every day and our room was very clean.

The food in one word - amazing!! It was the best we had during our holiday in Texas and once they found out I was a vegetarian, they made sure there was always something for me on the menu.

We had breakfast down at the campground three mornings of our stay which is great fun and again you can't fault the food and how they transport and prepare it down there.

One afternoon we drove into Bandera for a look around the town which is well worth it and how I imagined Texas to be. I kept expecting John Wayne to pop out!!

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to go back here again and would thoroughly recommend anyone thinking about going to a ranch to stay at the Mayan. Make sure you book early because if you miss it, you are definitely missing out!! Have fun - yeeee haaaaa!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MelandAndy1
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We take great pride in knowing that you were well fed and entertained during your stay with us. Traditionally, when visitors think of a Texas dude ranch, they imagine brisket BBQs and steak cookouts. Although we believe our BBQs and steak cookouts are the best in Texas, we do make sure to accommodate vegetarians by offering a plethora of salad, vegetable, and starch offerings to keep you ready for the trail. Looking forward to treating you to some of our “horsepitality” again soon; don’t miss out.
Plum, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Traveled with family from Pennsylvania to visit the Ranch prior to Thanksgiving with a 12 and a 10 year old. Weather was unusually cold and wet. Consequently some of the outdoor activities were out.

We stayed in a nice little cabin with a fireplace. Great cabin, kept very clean with daily housekeeping. Hardly spent any time in the cabin though. 2 horse rides a day, great entertainment, bull whipping, roping, hiking, saloon, food - all fun. Met some terrific people while there. All the kids at the ranch played very nicely together. We managed to get the Cowboy breakfast in one morning but it was a struggle due to the cold.

Hoping to return sometime with better weather.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Flophouser
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
We are so pleased you and your family enjoyed our “horsepitality” despite the unusual weather. We welcome you again to experience the ranch in our summer season when we cater especially to families. Our activity schedule complete with theme nights and menus will be available on our website soon. Please visit www.mayanranch.com to learn more.
Royse City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

The Mayan is wonderful! We visit as often as we can. The cabins are comfy and homey. The Hicks Family friendliness and hospitality are the icing on the cake... Not to mention the delicious, generous dining! The pool, the horses.. It all combines for a perfect get away :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Camisa G
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at the ranch. We are so pleased you have found your home away from home. We hope all our guests find their haven at the ranch.
“There is no place like this place anywhere near this place; so this must be the place.”
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had been here many years ago as a child and had fond memories of family reunions, so while on a recent trip through the Texas Hill Country, my wife and I decided to stop in and check it out. To my surprise after all these years, it's still lovingly run by the Hicks family and has been passed down to the next generation, something hard to find anymore in this modern day and age. The cabin with wood-burning fireplace was great, food was good and we even hung out with some other guests now several years into their own family reunion tradition there. It was cold this particular weekend, but that didn't dampen anyone's spirits and everyone still had plenty of fun. If a good old fashioned Texas Dude Ranch is on your bucket list, this is still the place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kowgirl K, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The best part of having a business for over 50 years is being able to welcome back guests like you! Although we strive to make significant improvements to our ranch offerings each year, one thing we never want to change is our friendly atmosphere. For our guests who traditionally stay with us in the summer months, the fall and winter offer new opportunities to experience the ranch like they have not before with wood-burning fireplaces, marshmallow roasts, and the changing colors of the beautiful cypress trees that nestle the Medina River. It is not too late to book that special winter get-a-way. Visit our website www.mayanranch.com to view our seasonal specials.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
River Oak Inn & Restaurant
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 23 in Bandera

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!