“Best Family Vacation”
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Hicks family has run the Mayan Ranch for over 50 years and they do EVERYTHING. The wrangler that puts you one of the ranch’s 40+ horses and guides you through a walk may very well serve you a hamburger or beer at lunch or clear your plate at dinner.

At any given time, you will see a wrangler wrangling, serving, or singing!!

A typical day:

7:30 Wake up (I can’t believe I WANTED to do this every morning on vacation!!), hop on a horse and ride to Cowboy Breakfast. Cowboy Breakfast is eggs, perfect biscuits and gravy, grits, sausage and bacon all cooked over a fire and OJ and coffee served outdoors, fireside. “The Breakfast Guy” plays acoustic guitar and sings every morning at Cowboy Breakfast. It truly could not be more charming. And there are NO bugs. NONE.

9:30 Free time (games in the lodge, swim in the pool or play in the river on the rope swing or read somewhere)

11:00 Program (trick roping, archery, bb gun shooting, volleyball, water volleyball)

Noon Lunch Buffet Hamburgers are always an option. Lunches vary but always offer a couple entrée options, salads and fruit and ice cream

1pm program (line dancing lesson, whip cracking, fishing, egg toss, etc)

2:00 play in the pool or in the river on the rope swing

4:30/5ish Go to room to rest and get ready for the evening

5:45 Snacks and Happy Hour

6:45 Dinner served in one of the three outdoor eating areas or in the dining room. THEN, there is always evening entertainment. Line dancing, a melodrama, 2 musical acts, a long horn steer for photos, fireworks. All of their events are family-friendly and leave you feeling good and lucky to be at the ranch. The kids made friends. We made friends. Returning guests (there were many more of them than us newbies) go out of their way to teach new guests the ins and outs of the resort.

I really cannot praise this amazing family and their charming dude ranch enough! Please feel free to e-mail me with questions!!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have wifi, so if that is important, be sure to clarify. The main lodge has wifi, so i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Lissa C

Reviewed July 19, 2012

after a long battle my father finally passed 5 years ago...my mom insisted that my entire family ,17 in all ,spend a week at the Mayan...The Hicks ands family did what they do best, without knowing the real effect they have on others lives. They show you the best time, service, food and entertainment. You will catch the Ranch FEVER! They helped us heal by just being themselves. We have been back every year and have already booked next year. Do yourself a favor and join them for a awesome time. Jack B

1  Thank jack b
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Earlier this year I was trying to find a vacation that would suit myself, my 15 year old daughter & my 8 year old grandson from FL. I knew our TX beaches weren't the place. A friend suggested a Dude Ranch would be fun, I found there were many to pick from. Mayan Dude Ranch appealed to me from the start, the website was very clear, even better when I phoned, Kelly was so helpful. Mayan Ranch is completely owned and run by the same family since 1951. It's all inclusive, no extra surprise charges. Lodging (cute & clean cottages), food(all homemade), alcohol (beer & wine), activities, most important horseback riding twice daily are all included in one daily fee, prorated for teens and children. It sounded like so much fun 9 of us ended up going together. You can swim in the pool, swing by a rope into the Medina River, the food is first class, many meals are cooked on an open camp fire, there are hay rides, activities everyday. The best thing however, is the thrill of riding a horse twice a day for an hour on different trail. We all had a blast & it was only 41/2 hour drive from Houston.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lucybujnoch
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family has been visiting the Mayan Dude Ranch for over 30 years. Never disappoints us in any way. Good family fun where the kids can have lots of activities and the adults can relax and recharge. Lots of great food and the entertainment is always fun (even the repeats that we have seen before).

The place is well layed out and gives you a feeling of being way out in the country. Backs up to a top notch "Texas Swimming Hole" on the Medina river that is as fun as it is beautiful. Includes horseback rides, lot of activities, daily entertainment and of course the free beer from 11am to 8pm isn't too bad either.

Try it once and you'll be a regular.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Pablo_Kruise
Reviewed July 9, 2012

10 of our family spent 5 nights at the ranch. Everyone had a great time , including a picky eater who said the restaurant was the best ever! I would highly recommend this as a vacation destination. Many fun activities for all ages. They never make you feel like a city slicker!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Workout247p
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My family and I have stayed here 4 times, and each time has been so much fun. I really cannot recommend it enough. The entire Mayan family are warm, engaging and so kind. The activities they offer are fun for all ages, the food has to be experienced to be believed, the facilities they have are great (lounge with widescreen TV, swimming pool, bar), and the cabins are wonderfully cosy and comfortable.
I cannot stress enough how perfect the Mayan Ranch was for our holidays, and each time has left us longing to return as quickly as possible.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have been bringing our grandchildren to the Mayan for the past seven years ... Every year we ask if they want us to make reservations for the following year. The answer is always a resounding, "Yes.". This family run ranch is consistently great. Importantly, it is safe for the kids to be on their own. We look forward to visiting the Mayan for many years to come.

1  Thank David H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Days Inn Boerne
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Joshua Creek Ranch
Joshua Creek Ranch
#5 of 11 in Boerne

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!