“Perfectly Rustic”
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This place is amazing!! Every time we come I feel like I am coming back to visit family. The service is beyond anything I have EVER received at any place I have stayed. We have our state conference here and they are fantastic with our large group! Where else can you go where they wake you up with coffee and orange juice on your doorstep?!? They food is fantastic and plentiful. Make sure not to miss Timmy's cowboy breakfast and give Greg a big hug when you take the hay ride to dinner. Shea, Kelly, and Judy always greet you with a smile. The Hicks family has been doing it right and I always can't wait to come back! Pick cabin 16 always the best in the place!

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Spending our last night at the ranch and headed home to Hpuston tomorrow! We are sorry to leave!!!!! We were in accommodation 7.. 2 bedrooms, 1 living room with fireplace, microwave and small fridge, 2 full baths and close to the office!! Loved it!!! Ritz Carlton?? I think not, but nonetheless great!!! Our family..a very busy cardiac surgeon, one frazzled stay at home mom, a know it all tween, and an all boy, dirty, gun loving 8 year old!!! We have been all over the world..but the Hicks family does it right!!! We had a great time, great food and great drinks! if you are type A and cannot unwind..this is NOT the place for you..it is a place to relax and connect with nature and family. The posts complaining about snakes, bugs, etc,etc, make me laugh! This is NOT a pseudo ranch, it is the real thing with real cowboys..so know what you are getting yourselves into! If you do not want the real ranch experience, this is NOT the place for you!!! However, of you want a fun loving, incredible family experience..place your reservation now!! We will definitely look forward to coming back!!!

Few last notes for fellow visitors:
Plan on hitting the grocery store in town for some snacks and drinks! Have the kids gather long roasting sticks,build a fire and have some s'mores and weenies!
San Antonio is a fun day trip..about 1 hour away and Fiesta Texas and Sea World even closer!
Deputy Doug really is good with kids!!!! let then have a good time!
it's okay to let the kids explore with some simple rules!
Hit up the bar and let the kids in the cabin for 30 minutes..trust me..they will be fine if they are older..and enjoy a margarita with your loved one! it will do everyone good!!!!!!

last comments to the Mayan Ranch:
You guys run a class act! However, don't be stingy on the snacks, drinks and desserts!!!!!! if you run out of nachos before dinner time..throw out a few more..trust me..people will appreciate it!!!!!! There were several times in our week long stay that this happened with several things...tonight we did not get dessert??? it was all gone! I hope this will be taken as constructive criticism so you can fix the issues and continually improve!!! Overall...great ranch, great family and great employees!!!! We will be back!!! :)

Room Tip: Cabin 7 was great and we would ask for it again!!!!:)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Brenda K
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Rustic and casual but with wonderful service, food and fun. Just what a dude rance experience should be.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed at the Mayan ranch for a family reunion, and it was just great. Helps that we were there at a good weather time of year - it was gorgeous and comfortable. Staff (who are mostly family) go out of their way to ensure you're having a great time. Cabins are rustic, but clean & very comfortable. The cowboy breakfast is so much fun - riding out to the chuckwagon. It's all great.

We had a diverse group ranging in age from about 8 to 88, and everyone had a good time. If you're planning a trip to the San Antonio area, work in a few days to stay at the ranch!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I went on holiday here with my mum and dad and didn't know what to expect. I could not have been made more welcome from the moment I arrived, the Hicks really are a great family, they ran out of a certain drink I really liked and purposely got someone to drive into town to get more just so I could have and wouldnt let anyone else have it but me, this went above and beyond anything any other place would have done and I was extremely grateful. My week there was so relaxed and I actually preferred the fact there was other Brits there as it made it feel even more homely. The food they prepare is fantastic and I don't think I went hungry the whole time I was there! I'd would well go back this year if it wasn't for the travelling to get there, but I will make sure I go back one day! thanks Hicks family for great holiday!!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank AshMac26
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from a weekend at Mayan Ranch. We wanted to get out of Philly ad do something fun and different. We are so glad we choose Mayan. The family that runs it and all the employees are awesome. Everyone makes you feel so comfortable – very laid back – like being home.

We went in January, the off-season for the ranch. It was chilly, but coming from Philly – it wasn’t really bad (50 - 60 degrees during the day). The cabin we stayed in was great – very spacious with 2 full beds and a fireplace, all set up with kindling and everything when we arrived. The bathroom is mall and there is an switch for a ceiling electric heater in there, which was dated but worked great and made the shower nice and cozy.

As a girl who watches her diet very carefully, it was surely vacation from a diet – but the food was great! Whatever you do – do not miss the outdoor cowboy breakfast. I am still dreaming about it! The food was great, and cooked at an open fire with guitar accompaniment. I usually don’t eat meat, but treated myself to bacon, sausage and brisket while at Mayan. Yum. The only meal that was just ok was Italian lunch, but nothing can hold a candle to South Philly anyway.

Horseback riding was very cool. My only comment on that is that you ride in a single file line at a walking pace. It would have been nice (even for a fee) to have riding lessons in smaller groups that taught more advanced riding skills and would give you the chance to trot or something. Also, there’s not much instruction short of “hold onto the reins at all times”. A brief lesson, or even a brochure for me to read before hand, would have been helpful. But, considering that the horses basically walk in a line almost regardless of what you do – I guess it didn’t matter.

I loved the rides though, and just loved being around the animals. Mayan Ranch is also home to HUNDREDS of deer. For a city girl whose only association to deer is hoping they don’t jump out in front of my car on the PA turnpike – I was in aww. They are almost domesticated. You can open your cabin door in the morning and sit on one of the many swing benches and just watch the deer.

Mayan also has activities scheduled in the evening and night. It might seem hokey – but its such a blast if you just participate in them all. There is a town with a few bars, but we mainly stayed at the bar and chatted with the staff. Gregg , Brandon and Lindsay – you made us feel like part of the family. We loved our talks and learned so much from each of you!

My girlfriend and I had such a wonderful time that we’re hoping to return again next year. I just can’t say enough wonderful things about the people and this special place. Plus, for the price (winter special), you simply couldn’t beat the experience with all that was included (room, food, drinks, riding, and many activities).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank lisajoy108
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed here for a week for a business trip and it was great. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was alwats taken care of. How can you beat hot coffee brought to you door every morning? The food was awesome and I love the fact there were free beverages. The rooms were really great and the beds nice and comfortable. I loved the trail rides, especially when you can see so many deer and other wildlife. I found the dinosaur tracks to of interest. Be sure to bring your camera and take lots of pictures!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank William L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Hampton Inn and Suites Boerne
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
0 mi away
Sayles Ranch Guesthouses
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!