“Definitely a place we will visit again.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
The Lodge on San Julian Creek
Ranked #15 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Bandera
“Definitely a place we will visit again.”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We went with two other families and had a wonderful time. The Lodge, guest rooms and grounds are immaculate. The homemade breakfast each morning was wonderful. It is only about 2 miles from Bandera where you can find restaurants and shops. The General Store is a must stop. It was very peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed over the 4th of July with 2 other families and had a great time. The lodge itself is beautiful, classy and very clean. Ms. Burma's breakfast is a hit with everyone, particularly the kids. The rooms are very clean, up to date, great AC, nice furnishings and beds, etc. There is plenty for everyone to do, ladder golf, horseshoes, washers, fishing, reading, etc. Great outdoor pavilion for barbequing if you choose that route. The lodge is fully stocked with sodas, juice, water, snacks and coffee all day. It was very relaxing to sit in the rocking chairs and watch a variety of deer feed across the creek. We had 8 kids between the ages of 6 and 16 with us and they all want to go back soon!

Room Tip: 8 rooms and all are great! 4 with two queens and 4 with 2 doubles.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mentone, California
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Our son and daughter in law have moved to Bandera, and since 2007 we have stayed with Burma and Randy at least three times over the years. It is a great peaceful lodge and a terifice place for a family reunion. In hunting season October - January it is used as a great place for hunting groups.

TEXAS at its best. OLD FASHION history and hospitality.

Room Tip: They are all good, and handicap accesible. All have A/C.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband, two children and I enjoy the quiet, peaceful serenity that we get at the Lodge, especially in the winter. It is nice and clean (not fancy), quiet but still close to the main town of Bandera and our favorite part - a place to find peace. The Lodge is in the middle of 8 cottages, 4 on each side. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds. Each room has rocking chairs outside to enjoy the wildlife while enjoying the serenity. The Lodge has a wonderful fireplace and a great room with sitting areas to play chess or just read. They also light the fire pit in the evenings where we love to make smores under the clear starry sky. Each morning, Birma fixes a wonderful family style breakfast with great coffee. We have never had any complaints on the food - especially my boys. In the chilly but sunny afternoons, I love to sit on the window seat relishing the sunshine while reading a book. If people are looking for a hotel type atmosphere, you won't find it here. It really is for those of us who are tired of the noise and hype and want to get away from it all. It truly is a place to recharge the senses.

Room Tip: Note: Rooms have walk-in showers only. No tubs.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lsaw196
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed in room #1 for four nights over the July 4th weekend. This was a family vacation. I would not recommend staying here for a number of reasons:

The manager sent me an email the day after I checked out complaining about a stain in the sink and bathtub. The stain was caused because the sink was stopped up when I arrived. I had removed a ball of hair and black slime from the stopper, but that did not help. The same day, he also sent another guest in our family an email complaining about a stain on a towel. He was asking both of us for advice on removing these stains.

The plug in the bathroom did not work, so I had to dry my hair in the bedroom where the plug was on the floor and not designed for the length of a hair dryer cord. There was only one very small mirror in the bathroom in a room designed for four guests.

The sheets on my bed were very scratchy and completely worn out. All the linens had an offensive odor and we were required to use the same towels during our entire four day stay.

There was no room service. We had to bag up our own trash and put it in front of the door, where it would sit all day before they finally picked it up. They were very particular about how the bags were tied up and let us know if we not meet their requirements.

On one occasion, our family was in the main room of the Lodge and the wife of the manager “corrected” one of the children in our family. Their attitude toward children would indicate that they prefer you leave your children at home. This is not a family friendly place!

In general. their attitude toward their guests is very unfriendly. For that reason, I did not complain about any of these problems during my visit. I will never stay at SJ Lodge again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank CarolVanpell
get0utside
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Our family wanted to make a weekend of the Texas Hill Country. We visited a few of the hill country towns and decided to stay in Bandera. We were excited when we saw how nice the lodge was. The disappointment soon followed as any little question or request seemed to be a serious inconvenience to a man named Randy. I also have a problem with a grown man talking down to my children. I believe in courtesy and respect and I teach good manners. Granted, they are kids and I understand how that can annoy people, but I should be the one to reprimand them, not a stranger raising his voice. They say "yes ma'am", "no ma'am" , "yes please" and so on. Besides that the Lodge is truly beautiful and and the atmosphere is very comforting.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank get0utside
Sparland, IL
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Friends told us we'd love Bandera, TX and it's honky tonk attitude. Boy, did we!! I couldn't find any Trip Advisor recommended hotels in the area. So, I searched the web and somehow lucked out. Flying A Ranch's Lodge on San Julian Creek is wonderful. There are 4 little cottages with 2 rooms per cottage set up in duplex style overlooking a creek & the ranch's 9,000 acres. The lodge is beautiful. The rooms are generous in size yet cozy. Everything was spotlessly clean. And the full breakfast of egg casserole, bacon and biscuits & gravy was outstanding. Oh, and did I mention, the people are so nice. I wish we could have stayed longer! The town is a gem too. The honky tonks are great: even one owned & operated by Clint Black's brother! The locals are so friendly! We ate at a great restaurant...think it was called the Brick House. Wonderful food. Don't miss Bandera and the Lodge on San Julian Creek!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CentralSue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Flying L Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
River Oak Inn & Restaurant
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera

Been to The Lodge on San Julian Creek? Share your experiences!