“Excellent food, but be prepared to wait for it.”
Review of Cueva de Oso

Cueva de Oso
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Balmorhea
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We arrived at this small place, it looks like someone's house, shortly after everyone else in town seemed to have arrived, so we had to wait a while to be served. It was worth it. We both had the Carne Adova, which was one of the best we have had anywhere, something that I had not expected in this small, and somewhat run-down town.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

It was a Sunday, so not sure if that was part of the problem but to say it was short-staffed would be an understatement. After one hour of waiting for our order to arrive and not seeing our waitress anywhere, she showed up with a couple of dishes. They weren't ours. Our order was lost. We waited another 15-20 for them to cook our order (it was so late at night and we had our two kids who were starving so we waited for our food. I wish we had left). We ate even though we asked for refills which some came and some didn't, more tortillas, which never came and two orders were wrong but we didn't even care at this point. We go to leave, and I assumed we could just walk out without paying but wanted to confirm they would comp us. No! The "manager" who we never saw said no according to our waitress. Here's the thing- I've gotten bad service before but never has my server cared so very little. She was completely overwhelmed I am sure but that was no excuse for her lack of empathy. Oh and the food was subpar at best.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Excellent fajitas the flavor of them was outstanding. Hot sauce was well, hot - in a good way. Cheese dip was great. Service was slow but good. If you go know that it will take some time but it is worth it!

1  Thank tdyno
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I loved all the food we ordered - tacos so big they overflowed, enchiladas in green or red sauce with the right Southwest flavor.
There was only one waitress, so the service could be better

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stopped here while on a winter West Texas trip. Our server was friendly and helpful. My girlfriend and I both ordered the beef fajitas and were blown away. Probably the best fajitas I have ever had. This place really adds to the charm of little Balmorhea.