“Groceries”

Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Balmorhea
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Friendly staff! Limited groceries, but expansive beverage selection. I noticed they had yummy looking homemade burritos and it looked like a small restaurant. There was a bar on one side of the store, which looked to be pretty well attended. It's changed over the years. Back when I was a kid, it was a pretty great grocery store. Now, it seems that it caters to visiting travelers.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have decided this will be a regular stop whenever we travel to Fort Davis. They have homemade burritos in a refrigerator. Grab whatever variety you want, heat it in the microwave and go! They are all really good and easy to eat in the car and come with a homemade green salsa. There is also a small restaurant (didn't eat there) and other quick-pickups like chips, soda, and lots of beer.

1  Thank abibh
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Do not leave Barmorhea without trying carrasco's burritos, in the fridge on your right side. Very tasty and great variety. Staff very kind. Maria prepared a very food enchilada for my daughter. Delicious.

2  Thank BCNTravellers
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The food was mostly meh (although the homemade microwave burritos are fantastic). The reason I am giving this place 5 stars is that the people there were so hospitable.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I really should leave a few more reviews - I've eaten here three times this year (roughly Jan, Apr, and Sept) and each of the previous times, it was to grab a cold gatorade, a pre-made burrito (or three) and to hit the road again. This was the first time I actually stopped to ponder more of the menu: I will not make this mistake again!

First, the pre-made burritos: they redeemed today's lack of lunch. They have fresh, homemade, delicious, ready-to-microwave burritos in a little refrigerator just to the right of the door when you walk in -- probably 8-10 varieties to choose from (various combos of bean, beef, potato, green chili, cheese, pulled pork, brisket, asado, etc) and they're small and cheap and 1 is a light snack, 2 is a light meal, 3-4 is about average for an adult human. But that's a good thing, because you'll want to try ALL the options because there's so much to mix and match!

So for chips, soda, gas-station whatever... it's fine. For burritos, it's awesome. Looked like a beer selection to rival... well, there's nothing to rival in this town, so it's probably the only beer buying option other than the new gas station (which has clean bathrooms, but isn't on tripadvisor yet).

As for the lunch: BBQ plate - 2 meats, 2 sides, $12 or $14, I've already tried to forget. They were out of okra, so we picked onion rings and okra as our sides. They were out of okra, so green beans was the next choice. I have lived in TX many, many years and have had a LOT of BBQ and I'd never have said any of it was bad - but today's was NOT good. Smoked sausage and pulled pork is pretty standard, but this was warm sliced/grilled/bbq-sauced hot dogs(?!) along with tough/chewy/room-temperature "pulled pork" (it was pulled, but the flavor was weird, but I guess it was pork). The sauce on the pork seemed like a standard grocery-store hickory bbq sauce. We finished the onion rings first, the canned green beans second, and couldn't bring ourselves (2 adult humans with appetites) to finish the meats. Honestly, the fancy hot dog stuff was better than the pork. We grabbed two burritos before we left and ate them on the road (forgot to ask them to heat them up - but were still better than the meal).

(Note on the atmosphere - it is a sort of sports bar in the back / seating area, not bad, kinda neat during the lunch hours.)

TL;DR: Get the burritos in the fridge on the right as you walk in. Onion rings are ok. Don't bother with the stuff on the menu.

*** I love this place and I want them to do well and I will go back every 2-3 months because that's how often I pass through Balmorhea, also, the burritos are awesome. Did I mention the burritos? Burritos would get 5 stars for variety and cost, but the meal (which would have gotten 1 star otherwise) is making me stick with 3 stars.

1  Thank ellewlw