“Nature and art at it's best!”
Review of Spiral Jetty

Spiral Jetty
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is an experience well worth the effort. On the north end of the Great Salt Lake, beyond the Golden Spike National Monument, the land art of the Spiral Jetty is awesome. The views of the lake and mountains are epic, and the art is sublime.

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"journey"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We visited the Spiral Jetty the last week of December. The water level of the Great Salt Lake is low enough that it is visible and you can walk out to it.
The last fuel stop available is in Corrine when you get off the freeway. The Golden Spike visitor about 30 miles west of I-15. The Jetty is located about 16 miles (unpaved road) past the Golden Spike Historical Monument. There are bathrooms available at the G.S. visitor center. The G.S. employees will provide you a map, and answer questions you may have.
The road was covered with snow and ice, so BE CAREFUL. We had 4-wheel drive! In the summer it is about a 30 min. drive from the visitor center each way, but it took us about 45 min-1 hr. each way. Use common sense, you will be "in the middle of nowhere"; in the winter be prepared. We did NOT have cell phone service. Our tire went low, luckily we had our emergency bag, with an air compressor. It was a fun activity for our family. I had always wanted to go see it, after seeing it from airplane rides. Definitely something to see!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was a bucket list item for me. Although I've lived within a couple of hours of the spiral jetty for many years, I had never made time to visit until last fall. The water level in the Great Salt Lake has dropped low enough that the Jetty is completely visible and can be walked. It's pretty amazing. I was amazed at the beauty of the salt encrusted rock.
It's off the beaten path - 15 miles past the Golden Spike National Monument west of Brigham City in Box Elder County. Directions on the website are pretty detailed, but you still have to pay attention. We overshot a turnoff by a couple of miles and had to backtrack. The roads past the Golden Spike Monument are unpaved. It had rained just before our visit, and I was worried that the roads would be unpassable. However, we drove to the jetty in a Toyota Camry and didn't have any problems. If you have a smaller car, or a car with a lower clearance, it may be wise to rent a vehicle. Take water. There are no restrooms, or anything at the site other than a guest book perched on a rock and the jetty. The closest restroom is at the Golden Spike Monument. Driving from Salt Lake City, plan on 90 minutes travel time each way.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the jetty again on Saturday, October 12th. Conditions were perfect. I don't believe it has been this visible for years. If you've ever wanted to walk the entire length of the jetty, now is the time to go. Road conditions were very good.
With the government shutdown, the Golden Spike Visitor Center is temporarily closed, but you can still drive out to the jetty. They've posted new signs to help you get there, and there's great driving directions on spiraljetty.org. Also, there's a link from that site that will tell you the current water level.
Eat at Golden Spike Burgers on your way to/from the jetty, it's great!