New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Blackberry Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Alabama
“Exceeded my already high expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

This place was like a dream sequence. I have stayed at numerous high end properties throughout the world and really was doubtful that a small inn located in rural Tennessee could be as good as many of my friends raved. But the stay exceeded my every expectation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Our stay of 4 nights exceeded our already high expectations. The location is beautiful in the foothills of the Smokies. The cottage rooms are very confortable. The food is fantastic. Most of all the service is the best of any place we have ever stayed and we have been to many high end resorts around the world. It is expensive but worth every cent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Griffith4464
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

From the moment you make the call about reservations you relize this is no ordinary place! The service is impecable, from the front desk staff to the wait staff -- everyone is so friendly and working very hard to make your Blackberry experience a memorable one. They even tell you that whatever your question -- the aswer is YES! The accomodations are beautiful with high quality linens -- this is always important to us as we travel. The spa is in a lovely old farm house and offeres a wide variety of services. Each meal is a culinary delight but I must say dining the "Barn" is truly unforgetable. They also offer an extensive wine list and a sommelier to help with wine selections. Blackberry is understated elegance and perfect for a quiet getaway. We will definately return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hinsdale, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

I was skeptical when my wife booked a trip to Tennessee in July!! Even knowing Relais & Chateaux, I was not excited about going to the Smokey Mountains for our summer trip!! Boy was I wrong!! The setting is breathtaking and an immediate calmness and peace sets in upon arrival. Short of dinner in the barn where you do see other guests, we felt like we had the resort to ourselves. Our children 15, 13 and 8 were never bored and enjoyed all the activities...fly-fishing, riding, clay shooting, swimming, tennis and my youngest even requested to go to Camp Blackberry the last two days. ( something we normally don't allow, as we do not like to dump our kids when on vacation with them )
The food was incredible and without all the activities, I would have gained a ton of weight because it is very difficult to skip a delicious course.
We stayed in the farm house, which was incredible.
Many people have complained about the price and they are not bashful, but I truly feel the experience was worth every pernny!! I don't know too many resorts that allow you to take a Lexus out for the day without charging!!
We will certainly be going back with our entire family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jmc007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

It's pretty simple: this is our favorite hotel in the world. It's not as big as others, it's not as formal as others, it's not as centrally located as others. But it's better than all of them. We've returned multiple times, each time thinking maybe this time it wouldn't be as nice, and each time they surpass our expectations.

The legitimate question that has to be asked is why you would ever go to Walland, Tennessee, for a vacation. Once you get there and spend a couple days, you understand. No, Walland is not a "destination." But Blackberry Farm is. Things move more slowly here, but it's not boring. There's just the right amount of things to do for a 2- or 3-night stay, especially if you're the type that likes going on a walk and stumbling on a cabin by a lake and sitting in the rocking chairs for a bit.

What's surprising about the service here is that it doesn't appear to be provided by lifelong hotel veterans. There are a decent amount of college kids and just-out-of-college kids, but they've been taught very well.

The food, as you'd expect, is great. On our last day, they packed us a picnic--just a simple take-it-with-you parting gift--and I'm guessing it was better than most anything you could get at a sit-down restaurant anywhere within 150 miles.

It's clear from reading the journals left in every room that this is a place people go to celebrate special occasions. They're filled with stories of anniversaries, birthdays and honeymoons. It's priced as a special occasion place, too. But it's one of the very few places where you can spend $1,000/night (I'd save and wait until you can grab one of the cottages rather than staying in the main building--enhances that feeling that you're on your own estate) and feel like you've gotten what you paid for.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

From the moment we arrived, everything was absolutely perfect. The facilities are stunning, immaculately maintained, and the staff could not have been more gracious. We live in Portland, a real "foodie" city, and can be picky about eating out. Every night at Blackberry was a gourmet delight--and the portions were just right. What was particularly impressive was the staff. Despite the fact that these are young people, with not a huge amount of experience, they are carefully selected for their demeanor, which is not something that can easily be taught. They are cheerful, helpful, professional, friendly without being overly familiar. I am talking about everybody we encountered, from the wait-staff in the restaurant to the massage therapists, to the yoga instructor. These employees are clearly happy to be working at Blackberry, and the owners are smart enough to realize that happy employees enhance the experience for the visitors.
The aesthetic of the resort is so tasteful, understated and elegant. I will remember this vacation my whole life.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
jacksonville, florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

I have stayed at a number of Relais and Chateaux properties in France and Italy and I believe Blackberry equals the service and quality of accommodations that I experienced in Europe. I booked a Holly Glade cottage for 2 nights during Blackberry's "sale period," which I understand occurs every year in the spring and so long as you book during a particular week for a subsequent stay, the rooms are significantly discounted. (Sign up by e-mail as a Blackberry friend and you'll receive e-mail notification of sale.) Therefore, I would have thought that the value was good given the quality of food and level of service and accommodations, but when we arrived, we were upgraded to a Singing Brook cottage and the value was exceptional! To a person, the staff was helpful, courteous, professional and polite. The Barn -- where dinner is served -- is a delightful dining venue and sitting on the Verandah overlooking the Smoky Mountains is a magical experience. The food was outstanding and the wine list is very extensive and very accessible. You'll find a Chianti for $20 or a reserve Barolo for $2,000. Make use of the sommelier and be honest with your needs and you will find that he will not steer you to most expensive wines. I'm pretty familiar with french white burgundies and I wanted something that I couldn't get in Florida. I settled on a 2002 Beaune that wasn't inexpensive at $95, but not outrageous. It was delicious and my husband thought it was the best white burgundy he had ever had. When I returned to Florida, I delievered the cork to my local wine merchant and asked him to obtain some. He did some research and found that he could only obtain a 2005 or 2006 vintage from a wine merchant in London and he recommended that if I want to taste that particular wine again, I should return to Blackberry! For those who are interested, it was the only white burgundy listed in the Beaune section. In terms of activities, there are numerous activities available although Blackberry is THE place to go to curl up with a good book and enjoy the sights and sounds of elegant farm living. My husband and I are already looking at our calendars for the fall and I hope that specific white burgundy is still on the list!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tsurumi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
The Lodge at Buckberry Creek - TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Dancing Bear Lodge
Dancing Bear Lodge
#2 of 10 in Townsend

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!