“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
springfield, TN
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

What more can I say? Just a really well run place and absolutely incredible food and a superbly gorgeous setting! Very expensive but we did not care. Stunning setting really. The beds were very comfortable and the range of activities was extraordinary!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
I always enjoy hearing from our guests. Thank you for your post. I am glad you enjoyed your time here!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Tennessee
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were invited to come to dinner with our friends who were staying at Blackberry. We tried to get a room, but they were full for the weekend.
Dinner was beautifully presented and served. Portions were really small. Wine cellar is impressive, but the markup is 300%++ which I find unnecessary and a bit pretentious. Our Sommielier was also arrogant and condescending. When we asked for a specific bottle and vintage (which was on their list), he went away and came back with two others that 'he would recommend'. Eventually, he realized that we actually knew what we were talking about, and got us the bottle we wanted. He also corrected my husband as to the pronunciation of the name of a wine, which was rude. He was the one who was incorrect in the pronunciation, by the way, not my husband. The best thing was the bartenders upstairs in the barn, who had a grilled pimento cheese sandwich for us to try. He overheard us talking and just had one whipped one up! Beautiful place, but since it is practically in my backyard, would I spend the money again to stay/eat there again? Probably not.

Room Tip: We did not sleep here, as they were full.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan S
Thank you for sharing the details of your dining experience. I would like to extend my apologies for the disappointment you had with our team. We pride ourselves on personal service and did not extend our best here. For that I am sorry. I was delighted to hear that our bar team surprised you with pimento cheese! It is the best. If I may assist you further in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally at blee@blackberryfarm.com.
Birmingham AL
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our visit to Blackberry Farm on the edge of Great Smoky Mountain National Park for our anniversary was an experience we will never forget. Never have we had such wonderful food, super attentive and friendly staff, and beautiful surroundings in one place. I would call Blackberry Farm a "boutique resort" made for relaxation and those special "we deserve this" occasions. It has beautiful accommodations for couples in the main house or cottages or families in cottages or the farmhouse. We stayed in the Lenten Rose room in the main house. This was super convenient for most meals since the dining room was just downstairs. We had two of our dinners at the wonderful red Barn, a gigantic barn brought down from Pennsylvania and made elegant. The staff will gladly transport you across the property in Lexus automobiles or you can use a golf-cart. to drive yourself.

We thoroughly enjoyed talking to John Coykendall, the on-site master gardener who provides all the fresh vegetables for the meals. The salad greens are especially tasty. If you go, don't forget to visit the puppies at the dog kennel. Jim Sanford raises Lagotto Romagnolo dogs which he trains to hunt truffles on the property. Although we did not fly fish we enjoyed speaking to the guides and watched as they tied flies.

Blackberry Farm is not inexpensive but it's well worth it. Our rate included all meals and gratuities. I especially appreciated not having to tipstaff for to the excellent services they provided, always with a cheerful attitude and a smile on their faces. We have already made reservations to return in October to enjoy the autumn colors in the Smoky Mountains. This next time we will stay in one of their cottages which we viewed just as they were newly decorating them.

Room Tip: Main House rooms are very convenient for most meals. Just walk down one flight of stairs to the dini...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and am delighted you spent time with John and Jim. They are both incredible team members and great ambassadors of Blackberry Farm. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at Blackberry Farms for three nights in November, 2012. I had a room in the lodge, which was directly across from check in. Being that I was traveling alone, I was worried that I'd be a bit bored at this resort but I was completely wrong. Granted, in November, you don't have the foliage you would in the spring/summer/fall but that didn't diminish the beauty of this resort.

I would have thought I was the only guest in the entire place; I was treated with such personal attention. There was not a single person at this resort that did not genuinely seem to love their job.

The food, the food, what can I say that others have not said. You cannot believe it until you actually are there but it is comparable to none.

If you decide to stay here, bring your credit card, it is pricy but honestly you do not need to spend a cent on property to have a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ellestar
Thank you for sharing your experience. I always enjoy hearing from our guests. November is a wonderful time of year to be in the Smoky Mountains. I am delighted to hear our staff took great care of you.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is certainly one of the best of the high-end resorts in the world as reviewed by many people. The service is about as good as we have ever seen. The restaurant is on par with Per Se and Daniels in New York City. They make their own cheese and grow their own vegetables and truffles. It is a place to go to relax. Fly fishing, tennis, hiking over the many trails or just sitting in one of the rocking chairs looking over the mountains. There is nearby golfing if you need to ruin a good walk. They drive you to the restaurant in the evening. During the day a golf cart is available to you to tour the expansive grounds. They have many special events through out the year. It is expensive but in our opinion it is worth it.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the place. Talk with them to have them explain all the options.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Tennessee
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The good: It is top notch, the food is wonderful and there is an endless list of things to do. It is extremely expensive, but it is the most unique experience and therefore justifies the price. It is a place for foodies. Excellent cuisine was experienced at all meals. We were there after the new year and enjoyed many hours reading by the fire as well as using a golf cart to enjoy seeing the property.

The bad: Blackberry farm is minimally handicap accessible. My husband uses a walker and while The Barn is new and spacious, mobility devices do not roll on the gravel drive. They do provide transportation, but there is still about 5 feet or so that must be negotiated before solid surface at the entry. We also felt the staff was not properly trained on how to be of assistance to someone who is handicap. No one told of us of an easier alternative entrance into the main house (that avoided steps) for breakfast or lunch, nor did anyone offer assistance as I tried to help my husband down the steps and move his walker at the same time. So while I loved Blackberry Farm and all it's glory, we did feel unwanted from a handicap standpoint. This is not the way you should ever feel and especially when trying to treat yourself to a lovely, albeit expensive, experience. I will return, but sadly it will have to be without my husband.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the guesthouse are very tight with tiny bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mominnashville
I appreciate you sharing your experience. Please accept my apologies for any disappointments you encountered during your stay. I was disappointed to hear that we did not provide a more seamless stay for you. Your comments are very important and have been brought to the attention of our team so that immediate improvements could be made. If I may assist you further in any way I would be delighted to do so.
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Blackberry Farm provided the perfect escape for my friend and me for a three day/two night getaway. The accommodations were lovely, the staff professional, warm, friendly and attentive to our every need. The food was fantastic, the spa treatments exactly what they should be and the scenery breathtakingly beautiful. Could not have asked for a better escape.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you sharing your thoughts from your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed all that Blackberry has to offer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
Clarion Inn Dollywood Area
Townsend Gateway Inn
Townsend Gateway Inn
#2 of 10 in Townsend
The Lodge at Buckberry Creek

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!