“Black Berry Farms the best resort”
Review of Blackberry Farm

Blackberry Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is certainly one of the best of the high-end resorts in the world as reviewed by many people. The service is about as good as we have ever seen. The restaurant is on par with Per Se and Daniels in New York City. They make their own cheese and grow their own vegetables and truffles. It is a place to go to relax. Fly fishing, tennis, hiking over the many trails or just sitting in one of the rocking chairs looking over the mountains. There is nearby golfing if you need to ruin a good walk. They drive you to the restaurant in the evening. During the day a golf cart is available to you to tour the expansive grounds. They have many special events through out the year. It is expensive but in our opinion it is worth it.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the place. Talk with them to have them explain all the options.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

There are newer reviews for Blackberry Farm

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The good: It is top notch, the food is wonderful and there is an endless list of things to do. It is extremely expensive, but it is the most unique experience and therefore justifies the price. It is a place for foodies. Excellent cuisine was experienced at all meals. We were there after the new year and enjoyed many hours reading by the fire as well as using a golf cart to enjoy seeing the property.

The bad: Blackberry farm is minimally handicap accessible. My husband uses a walker and while The Barn is new and spacious, mobility devices do not roll on the gravel drive. They do provide transportation, but there is still about 5 feet or so that must be negotiated before solid surface at the entry. We also felt the staff was not properly trained on how to be of assistance to someone who is handicap. No one told of us of an easier alternative entrance into the main house (that avoided steps) for breakfast or lunch, nor did anyone offer assistance as I tried to help my husband down the steps and move his walker at the same time. So while I loved Blackberry Farm and all it's glory, we did feel unwanted from a handicap standpoint. This is not the way you should ever feel and especially when trying to treat yourself to a lovely, albeit expensive, experience. I will return, but sadly it will have to be without my husband.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the guesthouse are very tight with tiny bathrooms.
3  Thank mominnashville

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Please accept my apologies for any disappointments you encountered during your stay. I was disappointed to hear that we did not provide a more seamless stay for you. Your comments are very important and have been brought to the attention of our team so that immediate improvements could be made. If I may assist you further in any way I would be delighted to do so.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Blackberry Farm provided the perfect escape for my friend and me for a three day/two night getaway. The accommodations were lovely, the staff professional, warm, friendly and attentive to our every need. The food was fantastic, the spa treatments exactly what they should be and the scenery breathtakingly beautiful. Could not have asked for a better escape.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts from your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed all that Blackberry has to offer!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My family and I have stayed here 2 times and have a third trip planned for July. I can't believe this place exists. It is my favorite place to vacation. From the impeccable service to the fabulous food, all other hotels pale in comparison. It simply does not get any better.

• Stayed: October 2012

We look forward to welcoming you back in July! Thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

All I can say is wow! I don't usually write reviews, but the unexpected near perfect service - I have never experienced elsewhere prompted me to share my thoughts. There are so many facets I want to write about, I'm not sure where to start. Almost everything was near perfection! Could this have been a fluke? Were the stars aligned perfectly that night? Was it a blue moon? Have we found Shangri-La? I'm not sure, but I'll be back again to find out. The stay (Friday and Saturday night) was so unusually fantastic, I'm reluctant to believe that everyone gets treated so nicely at every stay. I will definitely go again and hope that I am delighted again.

First off - the concept. I love how this place is setup. Luxury at a farm. We were chauffeured in Lexus SUVs by ex-military. As you would expect, service was always very fast and prompt. We were told that tipping is not recommended or expected. Ahhhh - how beautiful. Tipping is one of the things that I hate about going to really nice hotels or destinations. It's not that I am too cheap to tip, but because I hardly ever keep cash (esp small bills) in my wallet. Tip for the driver, tip at the front desk, tip at lunch and dinner, etc. How many $10 bills can you keep in a wallet? And then the awkward hand-shake for giving the tip. Did I not tip enough? Did I tip too much? Should I stiff this person for mediocre service? (I'd never really do that, would I?) Well, everyone was very pleasant and professional, and I wasn't compelled to engage in tipping. I understand that there was a 19% charge added to my stay for this reason - but well worth it for not having to deal with the tipping headache.

Second, the Singing Brook Cottage. We stayed at the Aracauna (forgot the exact spelling). It was 34 degrees outside. Whenever we left the cottage for say... breakfast, spa, lunch, dinner - the fireplace was restocked with wood and a fire starting log. All I had to do is throw in a match, and poof - I was as wood burning fire master. Also, heated floors in the large bathroom were a nice touch. The tempurpedic mattress reminded me of home. I honestly hate traveling, because I can never sleep as well as I do in my own bed. Well, I slept great at Blackberry. The bose wave radio was a nice touch for relaxation music. The candle on the night stand assisted in a romantic yet relaxing mood. I couldn't tell you about the tv - it was hidden behind a picture over the fireplace - and we never had a reason to turn it on.

Third, the culinary experience. Every meal was unbelievably good. You can even ask my wife - she will reluctantly agree that I have a very discerning palate. There are many fine restaurants in which I have left underwhelmed. Every course of every meal was spectacular. You would think that during a 7 course dinner, at least one of them would be average. Taste is subjective, and the chef surely couldn't have been only cooking for me. Well...it sure seemed that he was. Every bite of everything I ate was truly cherished. From the delectable unique chicken soup/egg breakfast dish (I know ... sounds awful) to the fresh seafood at dinner ... I was never disappointed. We liked the food so much, that on Sunday, we ate brunch - and even had them pack us togo lunches for our short trip back. I am not the biggest fan of cookies, especially not oatmeal cookies ... but those were bar none, the best cookies I have ever had. The sommelier at dinner seemed knowledgable, and recommended a bottle from their wine encyclopedia that we enjoyed on the first night. We sampled the wine tasting for dinner on the second night and were not disappointed.

Fourth, the people. I touched on this above, but the service was exceptional. The drivers were always courteous. I think they are trained not to ask you about work. I was never asked by any of the staff about my career. That's a good thing - I was not reminded about going back to the real world. Everyone was very polished. I own a business, and I understand how hard it is to find and hire great staff. Much less - keep them. Blackberry had the perfect people working there the weekend I visited. The front desk staff, drivers, waiters/waitresses, spa staff - all very polished. I'm not sure how they attract these high quality employees, but I would love to find out.

Five, the spa. I don't remember much of this experience, as I fell asleep during my deep tissue massage. That was my fault. If you put me in a dark room ... I'm gonzo! When I did awaken at the end of my 1.5 hr massage, I felt great. My wife and I did a couples massage - and she said that her swedish massage was top notch. I have a very sensitive nose when it comes to scents and perfumes - and I was thrilled to find that the air was not filled with cheap odors. Nor was aromatherapy forced on me during the massage. The oils were unscented, and thus did not irritate my lungs.

Six, Brian Lee. I should probably skip writing this section - because part of me doesn't want anyone to know about this. Part of me thinks that Mr. Lee will kill me - if he gets inundated with numerous requests after this review. But the biggest part of me wants to share this - because it was so special. Brian was kind enough to take us on a personal tour of the property. We originally wanted a tour from their real estate team - as I have considered purchasing some property if they ever have another land offering. Unfortunately, their real estate person was not available the weekend we visited. This led to a very genuine, heart felt tour and history of Blackberry Farms. It was very apparent that Mr. Lee loves his job and environment. Again, I'm not sure how Blackberry Farms has recruited such warm and talented individuals.

At conclusion of this review, let me tell you a little about myself and my wife. We do not exude opulence. We are very down to earth hard working Americans. I don't think that we would have received any special treatment because of our appearance. We wear off the rack clothes and were probably the youngest couple there. Nevertheless, we feel like we were treated like royalty. We just needed a weekend away - and aside from the spa, did not participate in any of the other activities on the farm except the meals. I'm not sure what other activities were available in the winter (we didn't ask). We are eager to return when our schedule permits - and perhaps enjoy even more of what Blackberry has to offer. Being in the Smokies - I'm sure Autumn and Spring are a pretty site.

Postscript: Though this place is more expensive than a typical destination, I believe that I got what I paid for in this trip. There are many places that I have been that I could have spent twice as much and not received the same level of service. Kudos to the HR team. Any tips?...

6  Thank Rakesh S

You are very kind to write such glowing remarks about your visit to Blackberry Farm! We appreciate you taking time to share your experience. Our team is our greatest asset and I am proud to hear they took such great care. I was delighted to spend time with you on our property tour and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Blackberry Farm this past weekend for one evening. First off..we stayed in one of the guest house rooms. I believe it is the "Yellow Mandarin" room. The room had recently been remodeled and was very shabby chic and comfortable done in warm neutral tones. Upon arriving we were greeted promptly and given a golf cart to explore the grounds until our room was ready. We went ahead and had lunch in the main house. Lunch was spectacular. It sounds funny, but my favorite thing at lunch was my kale salad that came as a side dish....I never knew simple kale could be that good. Then, it was off to explore the grounds and relax. My favorite part about the resort is that they have perfected the art doing nothing...we both have very demanding jobs, and it was good to be able to sit, and do absolutely nothing all day, in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Now...onto dinner. Which I will put as one of the best meals I have ever eaten and probably will ever have the pleasure of enjoying again in my lifetime. Everything was perfect. The atmosphere, the food, and the staff. Our waiters were fabulous. I beleive one was named Mica, and I can't remember our other waiter's name, but they were both great.

All in all a great weekend. What Blackberry Farm has managed to do that many "luxury" resorts have failed is the following: They make you feel like you are coming home. They manage to tend to your every need, while not making it feel pretentious. They offer some of the best food I have ever had, and yet everything was accessible and familiar. I left feeling satisfied and relaxed, and like I was leaving one of the most special places I have ever visited.

The price point is a splurge, but simple words cannot describe how truly special it is.

4  Thank Claire H
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My stay at Blackberry Farm was three of the best days of my life and by far the most wonderful adult vacation I have ever been on and I've been to Europe, Hawaii, and many other places. I went with my sister and my mom for a girls weekend and it was perfect!
First of all, the location looking over the Smokey Mountains was incredible! It was not how I pictures Tennessee so green, lush, and breathtaking.
At the farm, there are a variety of rooms. We stayed in one of the cabins which made the stay even more fun. You get around in a gold cart that either can choose to drive yourself, (that was a blast), or have a driver take you around. Most of the time we had a driver.
The staff and the food were what really made the trip amazing. I want to point out a few people that we ran into who stood out to us. Jessica, who is a server in the main house. She was helpful, funny, kind, and amazingly efficient.
Adam from the main house drove us to most of our destinations and even waited for us to change and then took us to dinner one night.
An interesting thing to note about the "drivers" is that no matter who you call and talk to about a ride, that person seemed to be the one to actually drive us. I asked about that and Adam said, though they all have other jobs, they are trained to multitask so that whatever a guest asks for, is taken care of immediately and the they can get back to what they were doing later. And that is how it was for the whole stay. Each and every person we encountered were helpful and friendly each time we saw them. It was amazing!
Heather front desk knew our names even though we had only seen her once at check in. I asked about that and she said, "It's my business to know all the guests."
We had a tour with John the Gardner which I highly recommend. He is so interesting and funny.
Josh, the main chef is outstanding. I mean unbelievable. I literally took pictures of everything I ate and put it on Instagram because it was that amazing in presentation. I wish I could get across somehow the taste but suffice it to say, it was the best food I had ever eaten.
Dustin ran our cooking class and tour of the gardens. That was also so much fun and worth every penny!
We also had some spa services that were expensive but relaxing.
It is very expensive to stay at Blackberry Farm as the meals are included, and you pay for customer service, however, if you can afford it even for a few days, you should definitely go!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank my3boys00

I always appreciate hearing from our guests and enjoy hearing such glowing remarks about our team. They are such an important part of what we do and I am glad you had an opportunity to connect with them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
#8 of 10 in Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
Townsend Gateway Inn
#2 of 10 in Townsend

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!