“Better than expected”
Review of Blackberry Farm

Blackberry Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Sometimes 5 star reviews are boring. I would give this one ten stars if able.

This was our first stay at Blackberry, and it will not be our last. In short, it was fabulous. The setting is beautiful, the cottage was great, and the the staff were amazing. Blackberry is an wonderful place to escape and just relax. You pull up to registration, leave your keys at the desk, and enjoy. They take care of the rest.

The food - unbelievable, but that is an understatement. Breakfast and lunch are served in the original owner's house that looks over a beautiful valley. Food great. Staff wonderful, very attentive. The evening meal is served in a barn, from a kitchen that is open to all. In the center of the barn is a fireplace that contained a roaring fire, which added to the ambiance. You are handed a 211 page wine list with a selection of 8,000 wines. Incredible! My wife and I ordered the Winter Tasting menu which came with a wine pairing, each of which was spot on. While she is the foodie we were both in Heaven from the first bite. And with each dish the staff explained what was being served and why the particular wine was chosen to accompany the dish. Awesome.

If you get a chance ask to see the wine cellar. You will not be disappointed!

I would go back tomorrow even though it is a nine hour drive for us!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BHale
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate hearing about your stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

There are newer reviews for Blackberry Farm

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I agree 100% with Callsit Grits.. The property needs a facelift !!! Very dated!!! At that price you could go to a 5 star resort.. and get what you pay for!! I attribute some of the problem too management !! Also there many hidden charges !!!! .. The entire Blackberry property has been neglected.. Our room was certainly not up to par!! If you want a wonderful place to go in the Mts ... try THE EDWARDS INN in Highlands NC.. absolutely beautiful and spotless .. well maintained.. .. and the Spa is topnotch... We won't go back to BLACBERRY FARM!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LETDOWN2731
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was our second visit and we can't wait to go back next year.Blackberry Farm is the perfect place to recharge. Beautiful grounds, great cottages, amazing food and great staff. Lot's to do or do nothing at all.
Blackberry Farm is definitely The Best of The Best.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 17renee
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I went to Blackberry Farms for some much needed R&R. We stayed for 5 days and enjoyed every minute of it. Yes, it's pricey, but well worth it. The customer service experience was terrific. The food on site was fantastic.

We did a fantastic "Bourbon Tasting" with the bartender. He was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

The rooms are well stocked with FREE snacks, sodas, etc.

It was just an overall GREAT experience. We can hardly wait to go back again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LorriKern
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was not our first visit to the farm, but it will certainly be our last. We had not visited in a few years, but had rosy memories of our last stay. When we visited this month it was as if nothing had been maintained since our last visit! We encountered disrepair, stains, and soiled linens in our cottage, and unbearable cleanliness issues that required us to call housekeeping back to finish the job. The cuisine is really what Blackberry Farm is about, but we were so disturbed by the cleanliness issues in our room and in the dining areas that we had trouble digesting the food. The food was not as inventive as we remembered either -- perhaps the result of visiting in the winter season? The same root vegetables and meats reappeared at every meal prepared in the same way. We could not help but laugh. We were shocked that so many standards had been let go. At $1500 a night, it is truly a farce. And with so many outstanding farm-to-table options available in the South, Blackberry Farm needs to offer considerably more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
33  Thank CallsItGrits
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Recnetly I received an announcement in the mail stating Blackberry Farm was discontinuing their annual two day sale but that they would have the sale one last time. I called on the required days and left two messages, as no one answered. The recording stated they would honor all of the requests left on the answering machine, so I waited to hear from them. Weeks have gone by so I called and they said , "Our phone system was overwhelmed and we lost some of the messages and we have now booked all the rooms available. They will not honor my request. I had planned to give this to my daughter who has not been to Blackberry however now she will not be going nor will I. I have been a customer for many years but due such a poor business response I will not go back and will not recommend them anymore.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
20  Thank neverstaysahome
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

I appreciate the feedback you have shared about your recent reservation experience. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during our sale. I would like to offer my assistance with your request to see what options might be available. Contact me personally at 865-380-2084 or blee@blackberryfarm.com at your convenience.

Brian Lee

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I could go on and on about the amazing food, lovely farm, and the beautiful main house that we stayed in but I am going to focus on service. OUTSTANDING is the word for their service. My daughter and I started to laugh because no matter what we asked the response was always "no problem". Unreal how happy and attentive every single person was to our needs. We only stayed one night but never once did we see anything negative. If I dialed "o" and asked for something someone was at my door within 10 minutes with a smile and enthusiasm that was contagious. This is the place to relax and spoil yourself. You can let go of your "real" life while here. I will be back.

Oh and the highlight was Sam Beall coming up to our table at the end of dinner and saying "hello". What a humble gracious host. It was totally unexpected and I was glad I had had a few drinks because I would have been nervous otherwise. He is a movie star in our house of foodies and chefs.

One more thought. We loved our horse back riding guide. His name is Joseph. My daughter and I called him Horse Whisperer Joseph. Again a nice gracious person on the staff of BF who totally knew his profession. As someone who doesn't ride often I felt very safe with him in charge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank picozoz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
#8 of 10 in Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
Townsend Gateway Inn
#2 of 10 in Townsend

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!