“They know who they are and exactly how to deliver it”
Review of Blackberry Farm

Blackberry Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Let me start by stating that I am in the hospitality industry and can have a very critical eye. On this trip my eye was constantly diverted by a well thought out experience and a caring and thoughtful team. While I didn't expect perfection on a working farm what I found was a leadership team with a clear vision of who they are and where they are going.

Congratulations on creating a sense of place from every corner of your property; a place perfect for romantic couples, family retreats, and corporate gatherings. While I was here for a meeting, I look forward to return someday with family and enjoy the many adventures provided.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with the Singing Brook Cottages...fantastic.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Steve H

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Best resort we ever went to, can't wait to return in September

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank mstidcrna
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We've just returned froma three day holiday stay at Blackberry Farms. There were three of us including my wife and one of our children. We stayed in Wild Turkey, one of the one bedroom cottages about 200 feet from the main lodge. It was a great stay, but wildly expensive.

Blackberry Farms has been on my wife's "bucket list" for a few years. When I checked prices on line, it appeared that two of us could go for under $800 a day. Originally I had booked a standard room in the main building, but once we saw the weather report, I called while in route to see what the surcharge would be for one of the small cottages. We also added our son to the mix. I should have been more specific, but needless to say, we ended up with a base charge of over $1,500 a night. However, it was not until checkout that I discovered the automatic gratuity of $303 per day as well as a heavy local tax. To make things a bit more surprising, the server did not mention that the tasting menu had a supplement for both food and wine of $150 per person when we were ordering dinner our first evening at the "barn" (where dinner occurs). Her only comment was that the portion size was modest on the tasting menu. So, another $300 was added the first night. The long and short of it is that our final bill was almost double what I had intended to spend, and I have no one to blame but myself.

With that off my chest, if you are unconcerned with the cost of things, Blackberry Farms will be a delightful stay. We have stayed at four or five "Relais et Chateaux" in France and England, and our experience was similar to our European stays in many ways. Having breakfast, lunch and dinner included in a region that you probably would not find otherwise exciting alternative fare makes a lot of sense, and being able to come and go in relative simplicity was pleasant.

The food is VERY good, and if you have a special diet, quite amazing. My wife must eat gluten free, and the staff (particularly Billy and William) were amazingly attentive to my wife's wishes.
The sausage at breakfast was amazing, the blackberry jam, etc.

We did find, when thinking of places like Les Crayeres in Reims, that most of the staff is very young. There is a lot of staff, so I suppose it makes sense from an operational point of view. They generally were very pleasant, but we particularly appreciated the more mature staff (Billy). Conversey, also on staff is a young couple named William and Elizabeth. William was at every meal, and thoigh not our server, checked on us and made sure that the gluten issue was being addressed. Elizabeth is in the gift shop (GREAT cashmere and cutlery), and made us feel welcome and at home. They were wonderful.

The setting is magnificent. It reminded us in some ways of the Carrig Country House on Lake Caragh in Ireland. Not that the mountains were similar, but the view from the main lodge looks out onto a deep valley and a marvelous panorama of mountains. The view in the morning, with various drifts of mist between the mountain ranges, was captivating, and I found myself just sitting and meditating on the changing scene as the light and mist adjusted.

Our cottage was more than adequate, and one of the high points from my point of view was the fireplace. Like the cottages at the Greenbrier, these were real, wood burning fireplaces. Unlike teh Greenbrier, ours was more than adequately stocked with firewood on the porch, and we kept a fire going much of the day and night. The one short coming noticed by my wife was no guest bathroom slippers. The disposable kind would have been more than adequate. Without slippers and a heated bathroom floor, the tile was very cold to the touch.

One last critique. The farm is organized for golf cart transportation. Your car is taken to a holding lot during your stay. The problem we encountered is that it was raining and very cold the night we arrived. All of our luggage along with us was loaded onto one golf cart which did not have pull down rain covers. The seats were moist, we were wet and one of our bags drenched during the short drive to our cottage. I cannot imagine why they do not have proper coverings for the golf carts in inclement weather, nor could the young man who drove us. Very odd.

We loved our time together, the setting and the staff. My only reflection is that it was mighty expensive!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
20  Thank travelingfrenzy
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2012

Thank you for taking time to comment about your visit to Blackberry Farm. We appreciate hearing from our guests and always value your feedback. I was glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Your accolades about our team members were very thoughtful and I am happy to share your compliments with them. All the best for a wonderful 2012.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

From the moment you arrive, this hotel is just impressive and beautiful at the same time. The location could not be better. Its isolation is part of the charm and the attraction to Blackberry farm. It was quite cold the day I arrived, so having a fire place in my room was wonderful and very romantic. The property is very beautiful and it has lots of interesting places to explore. If you don’t want to walk, get a golf cart and drive around. The color of the trees was still beautiful and it added to the wonderful landscape of the farm. The food is simple and delicious. The ambiance of the old barn for dinner was just spectacular. I did not feel like doing much except enjoy walking, reading and relaxing but if you want to be active, the hotel has lots of activities every day. The service was great except for a few young employees that did not seem very familiar with the property and were not able to provide answers to guests’ questions. I think they need a bit more training but that is all. The gift shops have great merchandise. I could have bought lots of things but I tried to control myself. I hope to comeback soon and next time I will stay not three nights but an entire week. This place is expensive but it is worth every penny you spend here.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a fire place and make sure you reserve a golf cart to drive around.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank javier200

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and use guest's comments to continue making Blackberry the best it can be year after year. I look forward to working with our team to ensure they have a better understanding of Blackberry and all it offers our guests. I hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing getaway!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I knew Blackberry had a certain seductive quality based on the romantic comments that gushed from our friends who couldn't stop heaping superlatives on it after staying there. But I didn't know Blackberry also cast magical spells until my "count-every-penny" accountant brother-in-law actually kept quiet about the prodigous amount of money he was spending while we there there recently. And he actually enjoyed himself. So goes the days and nights at Blackberry. A little bit of dreamland, a lot of wonderful food, and enough wine lubricants to make you forget all your cares. The accomodations are quite nice, decorated with that perfect comfy touch, and the grounds are worthy of the most gracious Confederate blueblood linage. You can go on for hours about the care that went into making this place. And the details of its assembly make an interesting story. But its building and grounds, while Achitectural Digest quality, are really just a backdrop for the main stage, the "very" best southern dining experience that is available to our generation. It hits all the right notes, from the fresh produce and herbs culled from its organic garden daily, to the stupifying choices that a 150,000 bottle wine cellar offers. (There's really not that many available at any one time, though the wine list has 140 pages) We happened to be there when a guest chef from San Francisco was there giving cooking classes and putting together special meals. We signed on for the grand finale dinner, which was the highlight of a spectacular week. The only thing we didn't like about our stay was having to leave. Reality is no match for this fairlyland. Bring wheelbarrels of money. You won't care when its gone. Ask my brother-in law.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank akeptman

It is great to hear you enjoyed your time here. Thank you for sharing your experience. I look foward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have been reading and dreaming about Blackberry for about 10 years, really since before they were "discovered" by the Travel and Leisure set. The proximity to Nashville and Asheville and Great Smokey Mtns made it an idea road trip in our sports car from Boston.
We just loved the wonderful combination of rural farm and over-the-top luxury. The food was
really creative and delicious, the wine was perfect. The staff was so gracious but in a really
smart, genuine way.
Brian, the guest relations manager, went above and beyond to make our stay special. I mean 30 years,we deserve a medal, right?
I cannot wait til Spring/Summer to take in one of the music events and other activiies (bikes,spa) we didn't have time for. Blackberry Farm is unique!
Thank you for creating a lasting and lovely memory for us.
Ken and Deborah

Room Tip: we loved Wild Turkey in the Holly Glades.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CodyTyler

Ken and Deborah,
Thank you for your kind words. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time here. Blackberry is a special place in a very unique part of the world and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by staying 3 nights/4days at BF. Expensive, but worth it. The food is incredible. Hard to come back down to earth when you leave. We stayed in a room in the main house and each morning had a quick trip downstairs to the dining room for breakfast. First off, the yogurt and cheese made from the sheep's milk is incredible. My husband doesn't like yogurt, but I had to keep him from licking the bowl at breakfast. So many breakfast choices available. Staff is super, scenery is fabulous. In the afternoons after hiking/biking or whatever else we chose to do, we would sit in these large, lovely rocking chairs on the back porch of the main house. Overlooking the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains, one gets such a sense of peace. Perfect place for reading, relaxing, having a glass of wine and meeting other guests. Fabulous. Dinner: OMG. There were so many wonderful courses, it's just hard to pick one fav dish. Risotto with wild mushrooms was rich, creamy and now I'm spoiled for life. Pork cheeks, pork belly, guinea hen, sweetbreads are some of the dishes that my husband and I chose because we had never had them before. Yum. Oh and by the way, we had three different desserts the first evening, simply because we wanted to try all three. The waiter/waitresses were wonderful and very good at making suggestions. Husband is still talking about the BBQ pork cheek sandwich and "best ever" onion rings he had for lunch one day.
Take time and explore the property. It is well maintained and pathways throughout. So, now for the room, which is the only negative with our stay. The bed was a feather bed and way to soft for both of us. The feather bed was so deep, it was hard to get out of bed! Also,no ceiling fans! We are from the South and how does one survive without ceiling fans? Not very well. Last day, they packed us lunch in boxes for our trip home. Would we come back again? Oh yeah!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for spending your anniversary here at Blackberry with us. We were delighted to have you as our guests. It is great to hear you enjoyed your visit and all Blackberry has to offer. The Main House veranda has been a guest favorite for many years. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
The Inn On The River
Baymont Inn & Suites Pigeon Forge
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#11 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!