“A relaxing adventure!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Walland
Twin Valley Bed and Breakfast and Horse Ranch
Ranked #1 of 2 Walland B&B and Inns
Madison, Virginia
“A relaxing adventure!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

What an awesome place. My husband and I just returned from the first of what we hope are many stays at TVR. Janice and her mom Julia are great. We stayed in the Cowboy Hideout--great atmosphere, very comfy and relaxing. After settling in, we took a late afternoon hike on the east trails, accompanied by a barn cat. In the evening, we enjoyed sitting around the pond. We did the "Horse Lover's Special" with 3 nights and 2 rides. We are experienced riders and have horses at home, but loved riding hers, learned new things and improved our skills. Riding the steep mountain trails on the ranch property was a thrill. The next day we took a bit gentler but equally fun ride on neighboring properties in the Cold Springs area--learning some history along the way. In the afternoons, we headed out to Cades Cove for hiking and wildlife spotting, or hung out at the ranch, enjoying the atmosphere. Great people, great horses, great trails, great accommodations. You will not regret it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Maryville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've done day rides out at the Ranch several times, and I always recommend it to people who are visiting. Janice is a wonderful host and her knowledge and enthusiasm makes the experience so much fun! She tailors you ride to you, which make it interesting for new riders and experienced horse people alike. This is not only a a great value but a truly wonderful way to spend a day. Don't forget to visit the rest of her barn animals too! Thank you, Janice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed August 13, 2012

we did the 1/2 day ride with Janice. It was awesome. Was raining when we got there and we had decided not to ride. But once Janice talked to us and offered a less steep ride we agreed to go. First half was sunny and beautiful. The stop at the top was a great view of the valley. The second half was beautiful in a different way. We were wet but the rain falling in the forest and in the open meadows was a different kind of beautiful. We loved the ranch and plan to take a vacation and stay at the ranch and ride every day. Janice is a great teacher, trail guide and a good person.
thank you for a good time on the trails.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Danville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My family of four (DH - 39, me 37, daughters ages 10 and 11) stayed in the Lakeview wilderness shelter from June 11 - 14. I have to say that this is one of the best vacations we've ever taken. It was also our daughters' first camping trip.

The wilderness shelter is a little rough as the website describes, but not nearly as rough as I expected. There is a double bed with a mattress and we brought cots for the girls to sleep on. We all slept well listening to the sounds of nature each night. There are two windows, a small table, a bedside table, and shelves inside for storage. Outside is a picnic table, a fire ring with an iron grill that you can set inside it for cooking. You'll find plenty of wood laying around, very easy to gather, and an axe if you need it. There are also some logs around the fire for seating, but we brought some fold up chairs. The shelter we stayed at is just a short hike (maybe three minutes) from the spring fed pond (excellent fishing) and parking, but the path is steep. The location cannot be beat. It's completely private. My favorite part of this trip was at night, sitting around the campfire, looking at the stars, hearing nothing but nature, feeling like the only people around. I'd call it luxury camping, mainly because it's so much more comfortable and to me (I'm a wimp) feels safer than sleeping on the ground outside. We kept food inside the shelter and outside in the cooler, but we did not experience any nuisance animals or ant invasions or anything of the like.

My main concerns with booking the shelter were plumbing related - getting water, bathing and bathroom access. Water: fresh water is available in the pond area. The easiest way to get it to the shelter is to carry it in a couple of milk jugs. Bathing: I brought a little plastic dish pan for bathing, poured water from the jug to wash my hair and to rinse off the soap. The weather was so nice, but I don't know if I would be able to stand this type of bath if it the weather were chilly. Janice also allowed us to use the shower at the lodge one day. We managed easily enough to stay clean. Bathroom: We had two choices - dig a hole with the shovel (provided) or walk down to the outhouse near the pond.

Other concerns someone might have: Electricity - None. We didn't need it. We got by fine without the hairdryer and straightener, but anybody who can't live without them for a few days might want to stay in the lodge or in one of the cabins. Air conditioning - None. We were there in June. It didn't get hot. The elevation probably helped. We've been experiencing a heat wave here in Kentucky lately. I don't know how Walland faired, but I am grateful I was there before the 100+ degree weather arrived.

We really had a great vacation on a very tight budget. There is plenty here to keep the kids entertained without spending a dime- the horses, kittens, Fox the dog, the other animals, feeding, mucking, riding in back of the truck, fishing, campfires. There are tons of photo ops. This place is so beautiful, not just the nature but also the rustic buildings and decor - so much to look at and everything obviously created and decorated with much care.

My husband and I intend to come back, just the two of us. We would love to do some hiking on the property. There just didn't seem to be time on this trip with the kids. We also want to do some horseback riding. I hear it's the best riding in the area. We've done quite a few trail rides in/near the Smokies and Janice's approach is entirely different, no nose to tail rides here. And of course there will be more family trips. The girls want to come back as much as we do.

Lastly, I have to say that Janice provided the best hospitality we have ever received anywhere. She really made this trip special for us. Thank you, Janice! We hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Sorry, I clicked a rating for a swimming pool and could not undo it. There is no pool, but there is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank chloelocks
seminole
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I went for a week to Twin Valley B&B. There is plenty to do in the area including hiking, biking, white water rafting, shopping in Gatlinburg which are all awesome in themselves but the horse back riding was the highlight of our trip. We did two half day and one full day ride and loved every one! The horses were very adaptable (Rebel and Traveler) and gave us great rides up and down those mountains (even in the rain)! Janice and Julia besides being very hard workers, are wonderful host! The accomodations are very nicely decorated and quite comfortable. The only thing we'll do different the next time we visit is plan to ride everyday! You won't be disappointed in Twin Valley Ranch, great place to become cowboys and cowgirls!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hollywood
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family and I went on a 2-week road trip in March throughout the Smoky Mountain and spent a few nights at Twin Valley. It was such an awesome experience that I want to go back again for a longer time!

Janice and her mom both were so friendly and welcoming. They were both so sweet to my 6 year old and really got her involved in everything. My daughter loved it so much she made me get up at 6am in the freezing cold to help Janice feed the animals in the morning. We fed goats and sheep and pigs and a ginormous goose (who absolutely loved my boyfriend). Oh, and horses!

We took a half day trail ride which Janice perfectly tailored to our group. While I have a lot of riding experience, my boyfriend is a novice and my daughter has never ridden by herself. Janice picked out the perfect horse for my daughter and I felt very comfortable allowing "Candy" to take care of my baby girl for a few hours! We took a gorgeous ride through the moutains and I loved every minute of it.

The accomodations are beautiful as well - we stayed in the Cowboy Hideout and it was very clean and comfortable. The barn itself looks a little rundown, but all of the animals are in excellent health and are very well cared for.

I have every intention on returning some day and HIGHLY recommend Twin Valley to everyone I talk to!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I highly recommend Twin Valley B & B Horse Ranch, regardless of your age, physical condition or experience with horses.

Last week my 10 year old nephew and I stayed at Twin Valley Ranch for 3 nights 4 days. How I wished we could have stayed longer! The stay with Janice, her mom Julia and all her animals was beyond what I ever expected. As a flight attendant I have the opportunity to go anywhere in the world and I'm very glad I chose to come here. This trip is one of those rear times where I already know I'm coming back in the fall and again next summer.

My nephew lives in a big city and has very little opportunity to experience what is to live and work in a farm. Janice and Julia's enthusiasm, knowledge and charisma made his and my stay not just a wonderful vacation but a learning opportunity. This was better than any summer camp he could have ever gone to.

We started the day at 6:15am gathering the horses, feeding them as well as all the other animals. Then we helped groom the horses, all the while being taught by Janice how to handle and be safe around a horse; an unexpected and well appreciated horsemanship class. This hard work paid off at 8:00am when we ate breakfast prepared by Janice. At the table they were at least 6 delicious items; both for vegetarians (I'm) and non-vegetarians (my nephew), several different jams, preserves and syrups, a variety of juices and a delicious coffee (I should know as I'm from coffee producing country).

We took the Hands on Lesson which is the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life. Janice taught us how and why to care of a horse, we each learned hands on how to groom our horse properly, how to put the saddle and how to make sure we made a connection to our horse. I have been riding, here and there, for years but I have never taken formal classes. With this class I went from being in a constant state of panic to riding with ease and grace. Thanks Janice! Janice was so nice, patient and hands on with my nephew that he was riding as if he has done it for a long time (he only rode one time before for a short time).

We too, took the opportunity to go on the 1/2 Day Ride which was a great way to put in practice all of what we have learned. We rode up to the top of a mountain and had the most amazing view of the Smoky Mountains. The horses were great, the saddle was easy on our bodies and it was just a dream day.

Every day my nephew joined Janice and Julia at 5:00pm for the evening feeding of the animals and the shores around the farm. He loved it and couldn't wait for the morning to start all over again.

My nephew made me promise to come back in the fall with the rest of the family and to bring him again next summer as he wants to bring his best friend and stay for a least a week.

I hope this review helps you in your decision. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 93Adriana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walland
Tremont Lodge and Resort
#1 of 10 in Townsend
Blackberry Farm
Blackberry Farm
#1 of 1 in Walland

Been to Twin Valley Bed and Breakfast and Horse Ranch? Share your experiences!