“Great Homemade Food, Friendly Service, Fair Prices.”

Riverstone Family Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 40 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Description: The Riverstone Family Restaurant was originally opened and owned by Terry & Belinda Haley in 2004 and gave it its name and the reputation of having the very best food anywhere around. We share the same Rep at the Riverstone Lodge right next door.We truly do have the best of quality of food anywhere. We are from Mississippi and really, really know how to cook real southern food with many years exp. We are open year round 7 days a week serving breakfst, lunch & dinner.We have been licensed as a CERTIFIED ANGUS RESTAURANT serving only certified angus beef for all fresh beef items on menu. If your not aware, certified angus is now said to be better than "PRIME".Nothing but the best. Even our hamburgers are fresh Certified Angus. Hope to see you soon! Don't forget the fresh homemade Fried Green Tomatoes.
Big Rock, IL
“Great Homemade Food, Friendly Service, Fair Prices.”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We arrived in Gatlinburg on Sunday evening after a 11 hours of highway driving. My wife and I were absolutely horrified by the crush of cars, people, and cheesy tourist attractions. Mile after mile. We usually run from this sort of thing and now we realized we had committed to 7 days of it. My poor wife was depressed. We eventually found a place to eat that night away from the "strip" that was pretty good, but nothing special.

On Monday (Columbus Day), we decided to make the best of it and head to the National Park. More crowds, but tolerable. We headed to Townshend for lunch, hoping to find some place to eat that wasn't purely a tourist trap -- all glitz, high prices, and poor food. There looked to be several promising choices, but Riverstone Family Restaurant just had that local look to it that gave us hope for a real Tennessee lunch. That's exactly what we got.

I ordered the Pork BBQ Sandwich and my wife ordered the fried catfish. My BBQ was absolutely fantastic. Hands-down the best BBQ sandwich I've ever had. This wasn't your typical pulled pork doused with sauce and a few pickles. The meat wasn't shredded. It was in fairly large pieces and each piece had nice crispy edges and a great BBQ glaze baked on. Never have I had a BBQ sandwich with pork prepared that way. Maybe that's typical for this region. It was overflowing with meat, too.

My wife's catfish was quite good. Our french fries, fried okra, and fried cornbread were also excellent. We were provided a few extra piece of fried cornbread, compliments of the house.

The was just what the doctor ordered for us.

• Visited October 2011

Largo
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The service was great. We had a really nice waitress and they even had veggie burgars. If you happen to get there on a Monday, they have the greatest fried apple pies.

• Visited September 2011
Plainwell, Michigan
“Friendly staff, great food, dress code optional”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My wife and I visit townsend about 2-4 times a year and have stopped at Riverstone at almost every season. Always friendly staff, you get more than a customary hello. Food is great, can order simple or complicated, always done right. Last visit was after kayaking the river, I wasnt excaclty dressed for dinner but they still made us feel welcome. Very patriotic establishment, if you stop in, ask to see the Vietman painting in main dining room.

• Visited August 2011
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Good family restaurant”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We ate hear twice on our trip to the Smokies. The service was friendly and the portions were abundant. My wife ordered the rainbow trout one night and she said it was some of the best fish she's ever had. My kids ordered chicken fingers and they were fantastic.

• Visited August 2011
Seymour, Tennessee
“Great food”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I recently ate dinner and breakfast the next day here. We just happened to stumble upon this place. They told me they have been there for 3 years. We were pleasantly surprised. It's not a fancy place but a good homey atomosphere and the food was really good. My husband loved their meatloaf. I had a vegetable plate with fried potatoes and onions. They were great. I also had fried cornbread which was really good. The next morning we had their pancakes. They were large and very good. The prices are fairly reasonable. You have to take into consideration it is a tourist town.

• Visited September 2011