“Scary Place”
Review of Hearth & Kettle - CLOSED

Hearth & Kettle
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I did not order due to the fact it did not feel clean. My husband and another couple did to their disappointment. Nothing on the plates was fresh. All packaged food. Frozen, reheated stuff and powdered mashed potato.
Not a good place to go for real food.

1  Thank Mountainhoney

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Tonight stopped at AJ's Hearth & Kettle. The parking lot was full and my mother-in -law went on how good it was. Tonight it was not my MiL's best idea. Both my husband and I ordered the chicken fried steak special. It was ok. It was covered with do much gravy I could not tell if it was homemade...probably frozen. The mashed potatoes were instant. The biscuits were hard as rocks. My MiL ordered the catfish platter. It had a nice fried hair attached to a hush puppy. She sent it back and just asked for a slice of apple pie. It was huge with a pint of vanilla ice cream on top. As I write this, I can still taste all the salt from this sub par meal.

1  Thank sarahays1974
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stopped here after a very long day of hiking and sight seeing in the GSMNP - we were starving and looking for a place to get some "real" food. It was about an hour before closing time and there weren't many others in the restaurant so we initially thought "this could be bad" wondering if we'd get what was left in the warmers. The waitress was super friendly and attentive, our sweet teas arrived almost immediately (our cups were kept full) and it wasn't long before our food arrived. The menu is a typical diner menu - I decided to go with the special - catfish filets. My plate came mounded with catfish filets and fries. I normally do not prefer catfish filets, but these were really catfish filets not the fish stick types that are served in chain restaurants. I ate my fill and seriously had enough to take home for two more servings. My husband and son ordered the burger basket and the chicken strip basket - they too came mounded with fries and we had chicken to take home too. If you enjoy diner type restaurants the Hearth & Kettle is definitely for you! Out total bill was under $35 - we loved it !!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had the breakfast buffet as a family, and it was not good. I guess that "good" is all relative, because if you like pre-packaged food on your buffet, then it's probably wonderful. However, when I go to a restaurant, I'd prefer that my food actually be cooked there. The buffet consisted of pre-packaged/frozen/heated pancakes, french toast sticks, biscuits, gravy, sausage patties, links, powdered eggs, and grits. Oh, and some watermelon slices and chocolate pudding. Every single thing on the buffet was heat and eat/instant food. What's even worse is that this pre-packaged buffet was overpriced. $8 for adults and $5 for kids.

Confusing thing- I thought this restaurant was called AJ's, but apparently it's AJ's Hearth and Kettle. Had I known that AJ's and Hearth and Kettle are the same place, I would have read the reviews here first and skipped this place altogether.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had breakfast here 3 mornings and dinner once. The breakfast buffet was good and I loved the buttermilk pancakes. Dinner was not good. There is very little in the area to choose from but we found this place to be friendly and the breakfast to be your best bet.