“Loved these big caverns!”

Tuckaleechee Caverns
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Townsend
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 21, 2013

So glad to have visited these caverns, we so enjoyed it! Lauren was a wonderful guide. Loved the history behind it and well worth the money. Lots and lots of steps, especially on the way back out. Wear comfy shoes, not recommended for older folks bc it is a lot of walking, climbing steps, etc. We visited here during a weeklong vacation in these beautiful Smokies and are so glad we found it.

There are newer reviews for Tuckaleechee Caverns

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Visited this during the government shutdown. This was advertised as a AAA Gem and but the caverns did not honor the AAA discount and the entry fee of $16 seemed rather expensive and more of a tourist trap. The guide was a young man that had obviously given this tour many times. While knowledgeable, not really engaging the group. At the end of the tour, he asked for tips from the visitors and then reported the amount he received and gave half to the cashier that charged the entry fees. I have visited a number of caves throughout the USA and this is not among the better caves to visit. I would not visit the caverns again nor recommend them for the price.

1  Thank Adagio_Travelers
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Took our teenage boys here after landing in Knoxville. Great place. Excellent cave. Outstanding tour guide (Lucas). A must see stop and a fair price.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is another attraction in Smoky Mountains region review I am trying to write. I will try to be not biased here. I am rating this attraction as 4-star attraction in the area. I have visited a large number of caves in Eastern US and to be fair to stalactite formation lovers, this cave is NOT at the top of the game if you are looking for super spectacular caverns. For visitors looking for cave formations I advise to go to Luray Caverns in Virginia, for people looking for might underground waterfalls - choose Ruby Falls in Chattanooga (in early spring), for true cave (not cavern) experience and underground lake go to Lost Sea in Sweetwater, TN. However, if you are not able to visit all above mentioned places and want all of these attractions combined, visit to Tuckaleechee Caverns is a must. They have it all, underground streams (river and small ponds), waterfall and your favorite cave formations including soda straws (which are quite rare ones). I would repeat many other reviewers to say that the history of this cave is pretty unique and intriguing. And yes it is a private cave with all its benefits and drawbacks (we had only benefits though during our visit). The guided tour is a very good one comparing to many other caverns I have been to. Our little kids enjoyed this cavern a lot (especially wishing well and a "lucky-drip-on-your-head"). As for negative reviews posted here I must disagree with people who underrated this gorgeous underground attraction because it was closed or was overrun with water after heavy rains. I think to properly rate this attraction you should visit it first or be prepared for unpredictable conditions that mother nature can throw in and embrace it as an adventure part or exploration. I am attaching a few cavern pictures to show the grandeur of this cave/cavern system what visitor can expect to see (formations, underground stream and waterfall). So concluding my review - I highly recommend visiting these caverns if you are visiting the Smokies as a side trip or as a dedicated half-day spending to those with families and solo travelers alike. You will have a lot of fun, but check the condition of the caverns especially after heavy rainfall so you are not disappointed like fellow reviewers who saw the CLOSED sign.

2  Thank Gracious_Tiger
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a good time in the caverns with a very good guide. The price was worth the tour. The history of the caverns is very interesting. One of the good choices we made while staying in Townsend. The tour was just the right length. I would visit the caverns again.