“Siempre deliciosas”

Monte Real Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 40 Restaurants in Townsend
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Not sure what the problem was with Sandy G, but some people jsut love to complain. I have been here many many times since they opened and have not had anything that was less than yummoso! They bring chips & really good salsa to munch while you wait. The menu is a little too extensive so we obviously haven't tried everything YET. I've been her w/family, with friends & with out of town company. No one has ever had ANYTHING but praise for the food & when it was all the Hispanic male servers, only good service as well. I have to disagree about the asian girls. Not only did they not understand most of what we asked for, but one time she never came back. Never. Not even with the check. The only thing I'd have to say is, Si; the interior needs updating very badly. (same since the early 90's if I recall) ATMOSPHERE is a Big part of an enjoyable dining experience!

1  Thank Smokymomma

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I did an impromptu trip to Townsend and we saw they had opened a mexican restuarant in the former Timbers Restaurant, so we stopped. The hostess seated us and our waitress came out in a few minutes and ask if we wanted something to drink. We placed our order and looked at the menu. When she came back I ask her about the tamales. I ask were they in corn shucks, had ground beef and red sauce. She replied yes to all 3 questions. My husband ordered the fajita taco salad and ordered the 3 tamales. When she brought our food out, she set them down, picked up my tea glass to get me a refill. My tamales was wrapped in corn meal mixture, meat looked like horse meat, very reddish orange and chunky with brown chocolate sauce on top. I tasted it and it was horrific. She came back and asked how did I like it, I replied that I wouldnt feed that to a dog. She replied each to their own taste. There were only 2 other tables with people at them and they were drinking beer, one table with 5 people and I saw only one person eating the food. The others had left the majority on their plate and they declined a go box. The waitress finally walked by laid our ticket down and never spoke. The man doing the register left the area and we stood and waited for someone to take our money. A waiter finally came up and took it but never spoke a word to us. Very unfriendly staff and service. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

3  Thank SANDY G
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The food was great, the prices were low ($37 for a family of 5), and the service was amazing. If you like spicy, order the habanero red or salsa verde. Really good!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The host at our motel in Townsend recommended this restaurant to my husband and me and we were not disappointed. It was within walking distance of our motel. The chips and salsa were plentiful and we got a refill even without asking. I had the shrimp soft tacos with a side of black beans and they were delicious. My husband ordered the shrimp/chicken quesadilla with shredded lettuce salad, rice and refried beans. Oh my goodness! It arrived on a plate the size of a turkey platter! We could have shared this meal and still had leftovers. The quesadilla was 2 huge tortillas (12 inches) cut into 4 sections.filled with chicken, shrimp, onions, peppers and cheese. We took 2 sections back to the motel and I had them for breakfast the next day. He could not finish the sides either. The décor is not Mexican since this place must have been a rustic ribs or family restaurant. Perhaps the owners will decorate it Mexican once they get established. The service was very good, however, it always perplexes me when Asian servers work in Mexican restaurants!
This is a good choice for dinner in a small town with little variety in food choices and practically all locally owned restaurants. After ribs and family fare this was a nice change.

1  Thank Russer075
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I didn't look this up ahead of time, but this was a really good Mexican restaurant. We had gone to the cavern nearby and needed a place for lunch and this was perfect. The salsa was good, which is always the mark of a good Mexican restaurant. Would definitely go again if I am in the area.

Been to Monte Real Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!