“amazing food and family”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Smokin Joes

Smokin Joes
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Friendsville, Tennessee, United States
“amazing food and family”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

me and my family went to smoking joes after hearing lots of good things in Maryville and in walland and townsend, it was very easy to fin, they have a big smoker out front of the place that's smoking all the time, when we got there we thought that the smoker was for looks but it didn't take too long before the owner( Zach Peabody) was out front wrapping butts and briskets. our server was very informative and helped us with all our questions and seemed to know everything about the menu. I got ribs, my mom got pork and my dad got brisket and we all tried each others food and it was hands down the best bbq ive ever had in my life and both of my parents agreed with me fully, the ribs were fall of the bone tender and the only word i know of to describe them is perfect, the brisket wasn't exactly the best but it was pretty darn close, now when it came to the pork....what can i say? it was absolutely amazing, this family obviously puts pride and love into their business and it shows through their attitudes and their food. i live in Friendsville, which is about a 45 minute to an hour drive away from townsend, and i will be goin back on a regular basis. the sides we got were spicy mac and cheese, potato salad, cole slaw and French fries and you can tell they are all hand made, we were informed that "grammy" came up with all of the recipes for the slaw, potato salad and mac and cheese and is often in the kitchen cooking them up herself, we got to talk to her on our way out because she also runs the register! and she was the sweetest lady, a true southern bell, we met Mr. Joe Higgins also at the front talking to his wife and taking a break from cooking all this delicious food and he is a very funny, kind, and smart man. We got the chance to meet most of the family while we were there...Sam, Zack, Gail aka "grammy", Joe, and Sandy (Joe and Gail s daughter/ Zacks mom and Sam's aunt) and everyone of them was wonderful to talk to, even if the food wasn't so good we would go back just for their company, this is the best restaurant you will find anywhere around the east Tennessee area and i strongly recommend stopping by and letting this food change your taste buds forever

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Hands Down - Best Ribs - Coast to Coast”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Agree with other comments. Smokin' Joes ribs are AWESOME!!! We were with friends in the area, parking lot was full and the grill was smoking up some GREAT meats... We also had Sam (Joe's grandson) as our waiter and can't say enough about his positive attitude and enthusiasm for this family run business.
The hand rub spices were great on the ribs - not overpowering but plenty of flavors to which you can add whichever of the homemade sauces you choose. Four adults shared the 'ribs for two'. We got one extra side and there was plenty of food for us all. We had coleslaw, beans, corn nuggets (best we've ever had) and fries for our sides. Each one was perfect!
We will be back in the area in a couple of months with family and will DEFINITELY make a stop at Smokin' Joes. Next time we'll try to save room for the banana pudding or take some with us.
Best of luck to this family run enterprise - wish you all kinds of success as we plan to frequent the business whenever we are in town.

• Visited October 2013
maryville
“delicious”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

we met smokin joes wife when we entered and she was so sweet, our waiter came to the table and got our drink order immediately, he told us all of the specials of the day and recommended the ribs and we were very happy that he did once they got to the table. they were so tender, you could not pick them up by the bone because they would just fall off, they didn't come with sauce on them which was a surprise and not what we expected....our waiter told us that they did them that way because if ribs aren't good without sauce then you shouldn't be eating them at all and he was so right!! our sides were home made mac salad and broccoli casserole and they were great as well. if you like a good hot sauce this is the place to get it, they sell their sauce by the mason jar and we sure took some home with us...it was too good to leave without some. I highly recommend stopping here to eat its well worth it

New Bremen, Ohio
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stopped there on a whim on our way home to Ohio from Gatlinburg and boy am I glad we did! The ribs were excellent along with their homemade sauces. The sides that we had were terrific also and the people...well they were just really friendly and nice. The place was clean, cozy and just plain great. I will go out of my way to stop there next time we head down that way.

Charlotte, NC
“Outstanding BBQ!!!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Having been to Townsend just 1 year earlier, I did not remember seeing Smokin Joes. The place 'looked good" and had a good number of cars in the parking lot even at 1:30 in the afternoon. What a GEM of Townsend! We were fortunate enough to have Sam (Grandson of the owner) as our waiter. Sam is frequently in the kitchen - preparing the wonderful bbq they offer! Being a bit short handed, Sam did what family members do in a restaurant....he took off the apron and started waiting tables! I suspect he was also keeping an eye on the kitchen! I ordered the Pork BBQ sandwich (very generous portion) with sides of beans and slaw. My friend had the three ribs lunch with fries and slaw....really, really tasty and another large serving. If you find yourself traveling in/through Townsend I highly recommend stopping by Smokin Joes....you will not be disappointed! If you happen to get lucky and can meet Sam (or ask to meet him) - you will find a delightful young man who obviously takes a lot of pride working with this family owned business.

Visited October 2013