“Good overall performance, tasty food, average service”
Review of Smokin Joes

Smokin Joes
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Ohio
“Good overall performance, tasty food, average service”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night. It was super busy because 4th of July fireworks were postponed to that night. We were seated promptly and then our server got really busy. Our food was brought to the table missing things like BBQ sauce and butter. The chicken was really good. My companions had the ribs and pulled pork. They said their food was really good too. If I wanted barbecue I would stop here again. Hoping it won't be as busy next time.

• Visited August 2013

“Good barbeque, good service”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Had pulled pork plate and the food was good. Server was not bubbly but did a good job. Everything I saw looked reasonably clean. Would eat here again.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went to smokin joes after a day spent in gatlinburg and it was the best choice we made that day. We got the ribs for 2 with fries twice baked mashed taters and okra. Hands down the best ribs ive ever had the fries were good taters were awesome as well as the okra. The wait staff was so cheerful...saranna was out waitress and we will request her on our return. Everyone was so polite. We got ooey gooey bars for desert and they were fabulous! All of the food had to be homemade, ive never eaten canned or premade food that tasted like this. I was informed it was family owned and operated and had the chance to speak with Zack Peabody who is the head cook and part owner and if everythin else wasnt enough we would return just because of him. A true southern gentleman and one hell of a cook. We cant wait to visit this place again and will make it a regular stop everytime we are near

1 Thank fordman1976
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice folks, just so-so food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My friend and I were looking forward to dining at Smokin' Joes. Upon entering, the cashier was having a disagreement with customers at the register. Nothing too loud, but it was obvious this wasn't a friendly chat. The menu looked appetizing and our server was very friendly and personable, but not really helpful. Apparently, she didn't eat the food. She only worked there. If she hadn't been so pleasant, I would have been worried. My friend asked about the different sauces and was brought a sample of each. According to her, the first 2 were pretty good. However, when she tasted the third, she immediately became very quiet. Apparently, the sauce was so hot, she actually feared a severe reaction. This is a woman that LOVES hot & spicy food. Being one of those, "I've got to see for myself" types, I dipped the spoon into the sauce and simply touched it to my lips. Immediately, the area that the sauce touched became numb and stayed that way for a little bit. My friend, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. Her mouth actually developed blisters later that day. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a sauce that hot, but maybe a warning could and should be given. Anyway, on to the review. We opted for BBQ pork plates. Our chosen sides were coleslaw, fried okra and spicy mac & cheese. The BBQ & coleslaw were simply so-so; not good, not bad...and certainly not memorable. The fried okra was perfect. The spicy mac & cheese was dry and had no flavor, not even cheese! We did see a few flakes of pepper, but not enough to even taste. Overall, we will not return to Smokin' Joes. There are simply too many wonderful restaurants in the area to waste on mediocre.

1 Thank SouthPointMom
“Awesome food and true southern hospitality.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stopped in after a day of hiking, hungry and tired. The hostess was so friendly and also well informed about the area as we questioned her about some local activities. The portions are huge, fabulous homemade side dishes, potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans. Definitely didn't come from a tub like most places. Sauces are homemade and range from mild to really hot, so something for everyones liking. Between the 3 us we tried the ribs, pulled pork and half chicken, huge amounts of food. Will definitely go back and recommend it to all.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Smokin Joes? Share your experiences!