“A Jewel In The Smokies”
Review of Danny Kay's - CLOSED

Danny Kay's
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Danny Kay's Riverside Restaurant is located on the Little River with River views from the dinning room or from our outdoor patio. Live music on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Our menu consists of great burgers, luscious chicken and fish sandwiches, Cajun Gumbo, Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee, Po'Boys, Shrimp boil and much more! All made from scratch, we don't even have a can opener in the building!We keep it mild so everyone can enjoy the great flavors but we can spice it up for those that want to work up a sweat!
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We found this wonderful little restaurant tucked alongside a little river in peaceful Townsend, TN. We received a warm, friendly greeting upon arrival. I ordered the shrimp po'boy and my husband had the shrimp étouffée. We also ordered fried green tomatoes. The tomatoes were really tasty, lightly fried with a thin crispy coating and served with both ranch sauce and another sauce made with ranch, hot sauce and spices. This sauce had a really nice kick to it. The shrimp po'boy was serve on a very light crisp roll. The shrimp were fried to perfection. The sandwich was topped off with crisp lettuce, tomatoes and a tasty sauce. The shrimp étouffée was also very tasty with plenty of shrimp and spicy andouille. I got the sweet potato fries with my sandwich - the best I've ever had - hand cut, not frozen from a package! We topped our meal off with fresh-made beignets and coffee. These were lighter and tastier than the ones we had in New Orleans!
The restaurant is small and doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside was warm, inviting, very tastefully decorated with an exquisite view of the river. We ate indoors, but they also have a really nice outdoor patio with the same view of the river.
The prices were very reasonable- lunch around $7.00.
We learned they also have live music several times a week. There is also a small bar when you first enter.
We learned that they have only been in business since last October. Hope they have continued success. We will be back again!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I had been to Danny Kay's before...(you can read my first review). We had such a great experience and such delicious food, that when I had a friend come to town, we decided to take her here for lunch. We had spent the day tubing down the river...the same river that passes Danny Kay's patio area. After a long, hot day of tubing, we were very excited to head over to Danny Kays for something good to eat. We went with high expectations, since our first experience was so amazing!

When we walked in, we waited a little long to be greeted and sat. Almost to the point where I was getting uncomfortable (after bragging about this place so much). We sat out on the patio, beautiful, sunny day.

We were so thirsty, and all we wanted was some water. That came out quickly. My friends' water had a fly in it. We weren't upset....these things happen. After all, we were sitting outside.

She ordered the Philly Cheese steak without peppers and an order of fried pickles. My husband and I ordered the Shrimp Po'Boy with fries.

While we were sitting, a large family was sat next to us. A large family of smokers. Yes, we know we were sitting outside and should expect that...but, there were only two tables on the patio (us being one of them). We would have preferred NOT to sit next to a large family smoking while we were trying to eat our lunch.

My friend had to send back her Philly because it had peppers on it...that she asked to not have. They replaced it pretty quickly. The fried pickles were the best i've ever had! I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who loves pickles. The Philly was delicious, too. Unfortunately, my husband and I DID NOT enjoy our Po'Boy. It was so bland that we took the shrimp off our sandwich and ate it that way. The shrimp was great by itself. I read on the menu that the Po'Boy is supposed to come with some kind of sauce on the bread....ours did not have anything on the bread! I didn't realize this until i came home and looked up the menu online.

Service was very slow, but that doesn't really bother us too much. But, between our mixed experience, I can't say for sure when or if we will ever go back. Just wasn't memorable at all. The atmosphere is great...but, depending on what you order, it can make or break your experience.

I would recommend going here on a night when they have live music and a larger crowd, when the owners are there (read my previous review) and order some great creole food from the dinner menu. I believe the lunch vs. dinner experience varies greatly here...unfortunately.

2  Thank TnCountryLife
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Dont very impressed with food. The inside decor was nice. Ordered the philly steak and had to order fries seperate. The sandwich was alright, but prefer traditional version better. $2.00 extra for a very small order of fries.

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I was not very impressed with the portions of the food nor the quality of the food for the prize however the scenery was very nice including a deck overlooking the river
the service was not very impressive I had to say it myself after 10 minutes of waiting on someone took another 10 minutes to get drinks and when the server finally came back to the table made it known that she did not want to be there and was very negative overall cannot recommend this place and I will not return on any future visits

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I admit I am a big fan of Danny Kay's. I also admit the service is consistently slow. But it is friendly. You just need to come prepared to chill out a little and let it happen. After all, we're in the mountains! The cajun menu items are excellent. I get that verified by my Louisiana friends. But last night was the first time I had the opportunity to really sit back and listen closely to the music. It was really enjoyable. Danny has a nice voice and an easy style. Nowhere else in Townsend stays open as late nor has that kind of entertainment. So, understand it may take a while, but the music and the cajun eats are way worth it.

1  Thank Shuckydern